PDA

View Full Version : Heroic Killing Blow?!?!?!

LordKhaine
27-07-2010, 13:00
I've heard from one of our local hobbiests in middlesbrough that heroic killing blow is where they can kill things out right no matter their size

and ive also been told that heroic killing blow is just heroes/lords with killing blow

is this true? i cant seem to work it out with the rule book, help please as ive got my first game of the new rules tonight!!

LordKhaine

T10
27-07-2010, 13:14
Chillax! Heroic Killing Blow is a distinct rule, it's not an automatic upgrade that is applied to heroes with the killing blow rule. A hero or lord with killing blow has regular killing blow.

-T10

Sarapham
27-07-2010, 13:57
Indeed, there is like 2 things in the game which have it at the moment. Skulltaker and a Bret-lord with a special thingy I believe.

Frosty_TK
27-07-2010, 14:02
Or the Sphinx from the terrain section may convey heroic killing blow to your character if he's quick. So maybe we should go and build one ^^

Ultimate Life Form
27-07-2010, 15:04
This is all most untrue, to have Heroic Killing Blow you need an actual rule that says so, which practically no one has.

Lord of Divine Slaughter
27-07-2010, 15:11
This is all most untrue, to have Heroic Killing Blow you need an actual rule that says so, which practically no one has.

Besides the stuff already mentioned :p

Damocles8
27-07-2010, 15:52
Besides the stuff already mentioned :p

I'd say 2 (maybe 3 with the Sphinx) out of how many hundreds of different unit entries?

Nocculum
27-07-2010, 15:58
Let's not forget that Skulltaker only has said rule in a challenge...

Mr_Rose
27-07-2010, 17:19
Yeah, the Brettonians are the only ones that get guaranteed, unconditional Heroic Killing Blow, and they still have to actually select the relevant vow and pay for it...

BTW: Can you duplicate Vows?

Hamsterman126
27-07-2010, 17:22
One of the items in the vampire counts magic weapons list bestows a +1 to any killing blow result made by a wight king, would this count instead as heroic killing blow given the new rules?

willowdark
27-07-2010, 17:23
Mr. Rose. yes, but it costs double the second time you take it.

stripsteak
27-07-2010, 17:23
yes you can but their price goes up each time. (x+1)*cost where x is the number of times the vow is present in the army. So you could have 1 paladin with HKB, and a lord with HKB but that spends nearly all their magic item allowance to do it.

Mr_Rose
27-07-2010, 17:27
One of the items in the vampire counts magic weapons list bestows a +1 to any killing blow result made by a wight king, would this count instead as heroic killing blow given the new rules?
Uh, no?
Why would it?
Seriously, why would an item that increases the chance of getting a KB suddenly change to expanding the range of potential KB targets threefold?

@willowdark&stripsteak: Thanks.

stiggie
27-07-2010, 17:51
I dont understand why HKB was even put in the rulebook.. its causing so much confusion over a rule only 2-3 things in the entire game can even use.

IMHO they should've kept it out of the BRB and put it in errata's/army books..

simply put people.. unless it says it has HKB... then it doesnt :)

solkan
27-07-2010, 18:08
It's no more confusing than "Flying Cavalry" the special rule and a Cavalry unit with "Fly", right? :cries:

By the way, Skulltaker doesn't have Heroic Killing Blow, yet. He can just killing blow anything at all in a challenge.

Mr_Rose
27-07-2010, 20:10
It's no more confusing than "Flying Cavalry" the special rule and a Cavalry unit with "Fly", right? :cries:

By the way, Skulltaker doesn't have Heroic Killing Blow, yet. He can just killing blow anything at all in a challenge.
Yeah. Not that many Dragons or Swarms you can challenge, really. He could totally KB Kholek though.

T10
27-07-2010, 20:23

The weapon you speak of (The Sword of Kings) only increases the Wight King's chance of scoring a Killing Blow. It doesn't give him Heroic Killing Blow.

-T10

Paraelix
27-07-2010, 20:32
Its kinda funny... I expected more people to be complaining about how "Heroic Killing Blow" isn't actually worded very well as a rule... More like a fluff sidenote.

T10
27-07-2010, 20:32
I dont understand why HKB was even put in the rulebook.. its causing so much confusion over a rule only 2-3 things in the entire game can even use.

Actually, the more rules they put into the rule book the better. The more standard rules they can re-use in upcoming army lists the fewer errors those army lists will contain. Also it will be easier to maintain compatibility once 9th edition comes around in... 2014.

-T10

the_picto
27-07-2010, 22:03
I'm slightly surprised that they didn't make a common magic weapon that grants HKB.

Phoenix Puzzle
28-07-2010, 03:00
Its probably there for when they re-do the army books, adding the heroic killing blow content as the go.

Gorbad Ironclaw
28-07-2010, 07:31

simply put people.. unless it says it has HKB... then it doesnt :)

But there is nothing really unclear about it, it's mostly people making stuff up that's causing all the confusion. As you said, if it says you have HKB you have it. If it doesn't then you don't. There shouldn't be much room for confusion.

Tykinkuula
28-07-2010, 07:43
Yeah. Not that many Dragons or Swarms you can challenge, really. He could totally KB Kholek though.

Monsters can be ridden by characters. Mounts fight in a challenge and nothing keeps you from attacking it.

AlphariusOmegon20
29-07-2010, 15:24
Its probably there for when they re-do the army books, adding the heroic killing blow content as the go.

I'm looking for Wulfrik and possibly, maybe even Tullaris getting it in their army book re-writes.

Grimgor is another candidate.

xxRavenxx
29-07-2010, 16:47
I hate the damn rule in general.

250 point figures should not go insta-splat by a one in six chance on some mook.

A lucky paladin chopped down my giant yesterday with his single wound being a six. Its *really* annoying to lose so many points like that. (Its statisticly more likely to one shot the giant than a cannon... sigh.)

CmdrLaw
29-07-2010, 17:33
Right and the problem with a paladin using a blessing to heroically strike down an otherwise unassailable foe is?

Where's your sense of drama man!

theunwantedbeing
29-07-2010, 18:04
But there is nothing really unclear about it, it's mostly people making stuff up that's causing all the confusion. As you said, if it says you have HKB you have it. If it doesn't then you don't. There shouldn't be much room for confusion.

:angel:
HKB is confusing because almost nobody has it, Sea Creature must be more confusing because nobody has it.

wilsongrahams
29-07-2010, 18:28

250 point figures should not go insta-splat by a one in six chance on some mook.

A lucky paladin chopped down my giant yesterday with his single wound being a six. Its *really* annoying to lose so many points like that. (Its statisticly more likely to one shot the giant than a cannon... sigh.)

Why not? Your risk by taking a huge monster that took a single sword thrust through his upper mouth into his brain. You felt it was unjust - I bet your opponent felt it was heroic and very lucky. It's no different to me firing twenty archers all needing 3+ to hit and missing with every one - any game relying on dice has these instances occur, but my archers aren't super-cheap because they may miss every shot once in a while.

Brady
29-07-2010, 20:03
:angel:
HKB is confusing because almost nobody has it, Sea Creature must be more confusing because nobody has it.

Thats becuase fish men are not out yet ;)

Paraelix
29-07-2010, 20:26

Ever had a cannon fired at you? :wtf:

And a cannon is less expensive than both a Giant AND a Bret Pally.

Mr_Rose
29-07-2010, 21:05
Ever had a cannon fired at you? :wtf:

And a cannon is less expensive than both a Giant AND a Bret Pally.
And cannon can do it at range before I have to risk my 250pt+ dude in combat.

I <3 cannon.

Dark Aly
29-07-2010, 21:13
other characters that may get HKB in their next army list entries?

Gotrek
maybe Slayer characters in general
Chakax (lizardman guy who is a bit pants in challenges-think i got the name right)
Skrolk? (master moulder with the big snappy jaws on a stick-skaven SC names confuse me)

AlphariusOmegon20 thinks
Wulfrik
Tullaris
Grimgor (maybe)

can anyone think were else this rule may used. most of these are SC apart from the Bret vow and the possibilty of slayers. but then this isn't rules anymore-just conjecture and maybe wishlisting.

As folk have already said-there are only three ways to get HKB and skulltaker isn't quite there (he can't challege a stank)

Paraelix
29-07-2010, 21:15
Skrolk? (master moulder with the big snappy jaws on a stick-skaven SC names confuse me)

Throt the Unclean. Skrolk is the Plague Priest spec char.

Also, why are you quoting characters that do not even have Killing Blow to be recipients of Heroic Killing Blow? I don't think you'll find they'll errata any characters that don't already have similar rules to get it... For example, Skulltaker kills EVERYONE on a 5+, where Throt can only KB small chaps, dealing D3 wounds to larger things instead.

AlphariusOmegon20
30-07-2010, 02:03
other characters that may get HKB in their next army list entries?

Gotrek
maybe Slayer characters in general
Chakax (lizardman guy who is a bit pants in challenges-think i got the name right)

AlphariusOmegon20 thinks
Wulfrik
Tullaris
Grimgor (maybe)

can anyone think were else this rule may used. most of these are SC apart from the Bret vow and the possibilty of slayers. but then this isn't rules anymore-just conjecture and maybe wishlisting.

As folk have already said-there are only three ways to get HKB and skulltaker isn't quite there (he can't challege a stank)

Unfortunately, the Skaven book WAS just re-written, and no character from the Skaven got the rule. Neither did any Beastmen, hence why I'm betting on the ones I listed, as those re-writes haven't happened as of yet.

The lizards also got a recent re-write, and no HKB there.

Gotrek could be a maybe, should he actually make it into the dwarf book.

I could definitely see Skulltaker getting it in the rewrite of the daemon book.

I'm pretty sure no Empire, TK or SC Bret would get it in their re-writes

Paraelix
30-07-2010, 02:23
Skulltaker does it anyway, as per his rules... :/

sulla
30-07-2010, 13:37
Skulltaker does it anyway, as per his rules... :/Well, it's similar... But I don't see anything in the HKB rules about killing blows on a 5+, or only working in a challenge.