PDA

View Full Version : Who's your Favorite Chaos God!!!

Azmodian
27-07-2010, 22:06
I'm bored off my rocker at work and need some entertainment and something not work related...

So the question is in the title, Who is your #1 favorite Chaos god, and who you theme your armies around, why you use the god you do, and other strategies as to why you think one god is better then the other ect...

I'll start...
Nurgle; to me Nurgle is win all the way around. Mathematically the -1 to hit on shooting and -1ws in close combat is an all around win. (the math is in the chances of getting hit vs the enemy armies and the fact that most armies core units have a ws of 3, (ie for warriors and most other units not marauders is a 5+ to hit) and even the special troops are 5 or even 6 makes them hit on a 4+ and you (on the 4+) hit on a 3+). Not to mention Nurgle models are so much fun to paint and build!

Yes for 30 points (it is a pricey mark i'm not going to say its not) you can save more then that in one turn (for example and what I mean) Your warriors
get shot at by archers. If you get 1 or eve 2 misses due to the -1 hit (based on the hit/wound/kill calculators some players use) you've saved over 30 points (the cost of the mark) without even chancing an armor save.

Champions on the Palanquin for example (my BSB is set up this way and here is what he looks like. *** this is work safe *** http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k175/Callofthecow/Warhammer/DSCN0860.jpg )

Give him a GW, The Bronze Armor of Zharkk, Necrotic Phylactery, and The Terrifying Mask of EEE! You have a hero that is Immune to Killing blow, Poison, Lore of Death, and Nurgle, Auto passes all Char tests (but not LD tests), and causes Terror for a great price of 268 points.

Like I said up top. Post why you love your God, and the reason you use there mark!

Rogzor87
27-07-2010, 22:10
Khorne is my favorite god. Nurgle is my favorite Theme though.

I am currently in the proccess of designing my own Army. Using the "Storm of Chaos Book".. Cult of Slaanesh Theme. But altering it to Nurgle.

Looking for C & C for it

http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=268875

NixonAsADaemonPrince
27-07-2010, 23:32
I'd say Khorne, with Tzeentch a close second. I love my khorne halberd warriors for one thing, and also their general nature of just slaughtering everything appeals to me :evilgrin:. I like painting red as well.

Tzeentch because of the whole unpredictability aspect, it just makes things loads of fun.

And then there is Nurgle and the jolly disease spreading, good for a laugh too.

Not such a fan of Slaanesh, I just find him amusing.

Psychiatrists, make of this what you can :D.

Nixon

Roark
28-07-2010, 00:45
I've always been a fan of Tzeentch. There's just something really appealing about a bunch of evil masterminds manipulating the universe to their own inscrutable ends.

Plus, I bet they cackle and rub their hands together a lot. The way supervillains are supposed to.

Dexter099
28-07-2010, 02:42
Nurgle, Tzeentch, Slaanesh, Khorne.

Nubl0
28-07-2010, 02:45
My current fav is Tzeentch, however in ages passed I liked Khorne the most... when he was all about martial prowers and honour. Even defending those that could not defend themselves, he was also about bezerker violence.... but not the extent he is now. Now he is portrayed as a blood craving maniac, makes me sad :(

Nurgle is a close second because he's so damned jolly. Never ever ever liked slaanesh though.

DarthMcBob
28-07-2010, 02:59
Well, I like Slaaneesh the least. Seriously, he just grosses me out so much.

My favorite Chaos God is Khorne, mostly because of how much fun it is to be a rampaging, screaming psychopath wielding a chain-axe.

In conclusion:

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!!!

SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE!!!

MILK FOR MY KHORNE FLAKES!!!

Volker the Mad Fiddler
28-07-2010, 03:00
Nurgle- his victory is assured as entropy will eventually claim all. Knowing you will eventually win regardless let's him be strangely jovial for a god of 'decay'.

ooglatjama
28-07-2010, 03:18
Tzeentch is useful no matter what, it always will come in handy. Khorne deserts you if you lose a fight, Nurgle doesn't affect most WSs and shooting that doesn't roll to hit doesn't care, Slaanesh doesn't kick in against the vast majority of models, but another save is always welcome!

I think people may be confused about the purpose of this thread, or it is placed in the wrong forum.

Gorak
28-07-2010, 03:21
Khorne, Oldest most powerfull of the chaos gods? Disagree, men have been waring with each other long before diesease spread, long before lore and magic was there, long before lust and greed. In game terms frezy is just sick now, with the ability to restrain and hoard of weak infantry comming your way......

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!

SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE!

KETCHUP FOR MY KHORNED BEEF!

(don't have a pic but man.....khorne flakes! my wife even laughed!)

CrownAxe
28-07-2010, 03:24
Tzeentch and Khorne

Fritzallmighty
28-07-2010, 05:05
I play Tzeentch, but Khorne is my favorite, mainly because Khorne worship is more conducive to yelling.

EndlessBug
28-07-2010, 07:46
Slaanesh all the way.

Sure, probably the weakest mark, always get comments saying, why not Khorne, they're immune to phsyc too and have more attacks... Maybe it's part of me not wanting the most powerful army out there, more of a challenge. Immune to fear, terror and panic's great, again was decent enough in 7th and became the weakest in 8th what with rerolls to everything just with a 25pt BSB. 10 points per unit to be sure is ok though.

If only his magic lore was better. Was weakest in 7th and got weaker in 8th... great.

I use it 'cos I'm stubborn, I do know other marks are better.

Tzeentch is prob 2nd, Khorne then nurgle. Though I do like 'em all.

SkawtheFalconer
28-07-2010, 11:32
Slaanesh. I just love the dirty jokes.

Havock
28-07-2010, 11:57
Tzeentch and old-style Khorne (the 'honourable warrior'-aspect), you know the old thing about him letting loose the flesh hounds on you if you kill stuff that can't fight back.

Unfortunately, all the chaos Gods are caricatures now.

Born2Rune
28-07-2010, 12:07
Well, I like Slaaneesh the least. Seriously, he just grosses me out so much.

My favorite Chaos God is Khorne, mostly because of how much fun it is to be a rampaging, screaming psychopath wielding a chain-axe.

In conclusion:

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!!!

SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE!!!

MILK FOR MY KHORNE FLAKES!!!

I thought originally i was going to say Tzeentch, but then i read DarthMcBob's post, and with that cool pic i was reminded that Khorne is the way to go :evilgrin:

willowdark
28-07-2010, 13:20
Nurgle...

He's like Santa Claus.

Eternus
28-07-2010, 15:54
My army is Slaanesh themed, not because I like Slaanesh the most, but because Slaanesh is the easiest to hate. My Slaaneshi Warriors of Chaos army are diametrically opposed to my Bretonnian army - they are sadistic, twisted, cruel and perverted, and I associate them with all the worst things a human being can do to another. By far the cruelest god.

"Take care, lest your protests grow tiresome. I have asked for so little! Anyone would think that I have asked you to sacrifice yourselves and all your family! And yet, in Slaanesh's boundless and pleasing mercy, I have asked only for your daughters. Surely you would not deny me my small enjoyments?"

loveless
28-07-2010, 16:08
Slaanesh. Cheap way to get ItP with none of the drawbacks of having "true" ItP.

People really focus too much on the carnal delights of Slaanesh - there's so much more to him, even in current background. From what I recall, pleasure of the flesh is only 1 of the temptations. Slaanesh's realm has traps that appeal to Gluttony, Pride, Sloth, and Greed as well - though everyone focuses on Lust. Wrath and Envy seem to take a pass, but are still fair embodiments of the Dark Prince, given the right circumstances.

Khorne is a fun mark as well - though it feels a bit "Auto-Pilot-y" sometimes. Still, though, I love having an excuse to field that awesome Lord on Juggernaught.

Tzeentch has ridiculous magic shenanigans for the Lord (+5 to cast? Okay, sure!), making the lore of Tzeentch incredibly economical. The mark is also excellent for shield-bearers, giving them a 1 out of 3 chance to avoid death in combat.

Nurgle doesn't really do much for me. It's solid, sure, but I'm not really into the Nurgle look. A bit too much decay and rot in appearance. I like Nurgle's background quite a bit and loved Mordheim's Carnival of Chaos, but I just never feel right with myself when using Nurgle stuff in an army. All personal taste, there.

So...short version:
1) Slaanesh - cheap, plus I like Slaanesh's background the best
2) Khorne - fun option with great models
3) Tzeentch - likely the most useful overall, granting benefits everywhere
4) Nurgle - decent option, but not my style

Tarian
28-07-2010, 16:20
I like Tzeentch, mostly because 1) I like it's color scheme, and 2) A ward (or improved Ward) is always nice.

Azmodian
28-07-2010, 18:46
I must say it is fun to read why people choose the armies they do, but I cant help but laugh as WoC will never agree 100% on anything :evilgrin: (between gods that is)

huntho08
28-07-2010, 21:35
Definately Khorne with Nurgle comeing close second. I love the extra attack from the frenzy special rule and i like the image of crazed wariors in blood stained armour charging head first into battle.

LanceSaba
29-07-2010, 05:05
well in 7th slaanesh was great as I always fluff my Ld checks (darn you dice gods) but he took a real hit for me in the new adition with the BSBs and all. though still good in a heavy horde army or a cave based army where your units are to spread out to enjoy the BSB and lords Ld (mostly for other armies) still though the steeds of slaanesh are great transports for your character killers and don't forget to use titillating delusions to throw your enemy's BSB out of place.

I admit though that tzeentch was awesome and now got better though they don't generate the sick amount of power dice with the ability to bring 5 casters to the board at 2,250 (book of secrets on a chosen) though it boosts your core choices to an insane level making it by far the best all around mark.

on fluff note slaanesh is the best (i am a dark elf player =P). Khorne will kill himself out, tzeentch is to wrapped up in his own mind games, nurgle can't destroy everything as part of him creates life, though I admit there is only so much pleasure that the mind can understand. Also the other gods fuel him as they are all concepts of desire whether it be blood, knowledge, or life.

Peril
29-07-2010, 05:21
No love for the Horned Rat, or Hashut?

For shame ;)

*edit* I guess since this is a tactics thread - I think Nurgle is now a good mortals choice. Nurgle Marauder Horse are still useful and won't be shot off the board immediately, and WS3 troops will hit your Warriors on 5+ which is nice with all the extra attacks incoming.

EbonhartLegions
29-07-2010, 06:30
SLAANESH because SLAANESH! everyone is given to their own enjoyment of vice, which is what makes Slaanesh more interesting than the others, theres just so much vice to cover.

CmdrLaw
30-07-2010, 10:32
I go with Nurgle because it suits my painitng style, lots of drybrushing and washes to give a lovely rusted/rotted plaguey look. I do like the Mark, but think it can be a little overpriced.

Although its nice to do a twisted Tzeentch model or some funky slaneesh stuff now and then.

Justicar Valius
30-07-2010, 10:40
Tzeentch 1st, Khorne close 2nd, Slannesh a bit further away in 3rd, Nurgle dead last by a long way.

Tzeentch has my favourite lore, acsess to discs, 5++ pary save access to combos with the blasted sandard.

Khorne, Knights/Geat wep marauders = Khorne

Slannesh used to be better with fear being worse than it is now but is still useful

Nurgle won't help your warriors hit and your armour and toughness will protect you more, the shooting penalty is the same, besides where are your warhounds and blasted standard and Tzeentch combo to protect you?

You may notice all my decisions are based on in game stuff, this is because this is in the tactics section.

CmdrLaw
30-07-2010, 10:47
Nurgle won't help your warriors hit and your armour and toughness will protect you more, the shooting penalty is the same, besides where are your warhounds and blasted standard and Tzeentch combo to protect you?

Why wouldn't the Mark of Nurgle help you hit? This is from the Tactica:

Last but not least, such are the clouds of flies buzzing around the bearers of the Mark of Nurgle that foes incur -1 to hit penalty at range and -1 WS in range. This can make a real difference when fighting elite ranged troops that depend on their high BS to make an impact, not to mention making Chaos troops hit most foes on a 3+.

Justicar Valius
30-07-2010, 11:00
Watch this space for an FAQ quote.

CmdrLaw
30-07-2010, 11:27
Yes I have just spotted the FAQ discussion in the rules forum, I have read the FAQ and I'm expected it to be rewritten soon.

Or they might be playing a cruel joke on the tactica author.

But definately a rules discussion.

Rochr
30-07-2010, 12:22
I always loved Khorne... But like someone said he was better portrayed in the old days when he was the god of martial prowess and not just craving for blood, destruction and skulls. Admittedly the blood-craze thing is a big part of Khorne but he also has love for his followers and his followers devote all their time to perfect themselves in close combat. The current fluff makes it out so that only Nurgle really cares about his followers and that isn't true. Khorne raged when Valkia died, resurrected her and reshaped her into his own image out of love... Or whatever "love" means to a Chaos god.

I think they went with the whole "no brain, all rage" kinda approach to please the teenage kids which is kinda sad.

Eternus
30-07-2010, 12:31
Slannesh used to be better with fear being worse than it is now but is still useful

Though less useful vs Fear because Fear has taken a bit of a hit, there are more Panic tests in 8th because unit strength is no longer a factor, so that probably balances out, especially as 1 fleeing model can trigger Panic tests in multiple units at once.

CmdrLaw
30-07-2010, 12:36
Don't confuse having a favorite with caring for your worshipers.

Khorne is always going to be popular, because Khorne smash. But I think of the Chaos gods as a reflection of negative emotions rage, joy of destruction, greed, lust etc. etc.

Martial prowess seems far too neutral, more something I would expect from an elven deity than chaos.

Eternus
30-07-2010, 12:44
Don't confuse having a favorite with caring for your worshipers.

Khorne is always going to be popular, because Khorne smash. But I think of the Chaos gods as a reflection of negative emotions rage, joy of destruction, greed, lust etc. etc.

Martial prowess seems far too neutral, more something I would expect from an elven deity than chaos.

Which is how some warriors may be drawn into the worship of Khorne through pride and a desire to perfect their martial skills. It starts off being about the skill and the thrill of battle, and ends up just being about the Blood and Skulls.

CmdrLaw
30-07-2010, 12:48
Now the perverting of something pure is more like it, and a bit of bloodlust goes a long way.

Put that could also go slannesh's way with arrogance and pride ;)

It's no wonder there are so many who fall to the lures of dark powers. Also they have the best parties.

BigbyWolf
30-07-2010, 12:51
Tzeentch. I like knowing the score before the fixtures have even been arranged...

And bear in mind the only way to get a decent ward save in 7th was to take the talisman or collar with MoT.

willowdark
30-07-2010, 13:02
I think Lore of Nurgle is the better Lore. I know a lot of people swear by Tzeentch, but Buboes is the best character sniper in the game, especially against DE with the Pendant and the Ring. And Rot, Glorious Rot and Quagmire are fantastic against heavily armoured troops.

Eternus
30-07-2010, 13:18
Tzeentch. I like knowing the score before the fixtures have even been arranged...

This is how I justify the idea that the other gods are under the sway of Slaanesh - Tzeentch is arrogant enough to think he knows what's going to happen next, Khorne is driven by lust for blood and skulls, and Nurgle, well Nurgle is just full of love....

Rochr
30-07-2010, 13:58
This is how I justify the idea that the other gods are under the sway of Slaanesh - Tzeentch is arrogant enough to think he knows what's going to happen next, Khorne is driven by lust for blood and skulls, and Nurgle, well Nurgle is just full of love....

Nurgle is like this cuddly fuzzy teddy you just wanna hug but you forgot it in a sewer for a year and now it smells funny.

Sandals
30-07-2010, 16:04
I've never been able to get a tzeentch mortal army to work properly. they were always so vulnerable to psycology, as they got none of the aids the other gods did when it cam to psych.
asmittedly i haven't played with the new book, so things may have improved.

BTW i agree with whoever it was said that the Tzeentch lore isn't the best. i think it's far too unsubtle for what it should be, and there is always 1 spell from every tzeentch lore that is just not thought through enough.

6th ed book it was the 6th spell, Ld test or die. sounds good, but it couldn't be cast into combat, had a 12" range and could only target characters who always have the best ld around.

daemons in 7th have the Firestorm, which again has too many drawbacks. you get a maximum of 4 horrors so they can't be a wizard, they can't be raised into combat, and they can't be added to a unit if the unit casts it.

i'll have another look at the WoC book and try and find the rubbish "awesome" spell from that one, but i'm pretty sure there is one.

For a god of magic, having your best spell actually being one of the worst is pretty ironic!

Skyros
30-07-2010, 16:21
Tzeentch, the Changer of Ways and Bringer of Hope.

Khorne is too one dimensional.

FlashGordon
30-07-2010, 19:07
Khorne, a god bringing gifts for killing and being killed.

w3rm
31-07-2010, 02:15
Nurgle cuz you never die!

KharnTheBetrayer01
31-07-2010, 02:31
Khorne all the way. Disease and despair only last so long, lust dies as you age, and Robbie Burns has plenty to say about the best laid plans of mice and men, but warfare is forever and if your god stands by you, fatigue is no obstacle.

Rules-wise, again its always Khorne who stands out for me. A small added chance of survival (added ward save or -'s to hit) or a general disregard for your own personal safety (Slanneshes gift) versus a large boost in your killing power? No contest.

And of course, I find that red, bronze and silver really stand out on the normal battlefield greenery.

Da Crusha
03-08-2010, 22:55
My favorite chaos god is.... The father of Darkness, HASHUT!!!

Dreadgrass
03-08-2010, 23:33
My warriors worship a giant-unknown diety trapped in a glacier, I use the Mark of Tzeentch to represent a "Mark of the Icelord," but not on my wizards as Tzeentch magic is too specific to its patron diety...

From the official chaos gods, Slaanesh promotes the most inappropriate battlefield jokes, so he gets my vote!

Col. Dash
04-08-2010, 00:59
Hashut! The Bull God! OLAY!!!!

Zaszz
04-08-2010, 02:34
Tzeentch all the way. I love magic, and his color schemes are very fun to paint and look at. I actually like the giant bird the best too it reminds me of the Skettsis from Dark Crystal :D To be honest however I really like the idea of his champions being total bad asses following a master who has a dark scheme and a purpose. The other gods don't seem to have as much of a dark and sinister feel behind them. To me Slaneesh and Nurgle are both hedonistic and don't really have a goal, while with Khorne his goal is just to kill everything. With Tzeentch its all a mystery no one knows what his twisting plans are laid out to do, hes an evil mastermind weaving all things, working you all like puppets... MUAHAHAHAHAH!

Hashulaman
04-08-2010, 07:41
My favorite of the Ruinous Powers is Tzeentch. He is the lord of ALL magic and I'v always loved using magic(the spells are usually what makes me deicide what army to do in the past). He is the master of manipulation, ambition and intrique. He is the thinking man's god. I also try to theme my army around him. That 5++ ward in close combat makes hard as nails Warriors even harder.

Vashta
06-08-2010, 12:41
Malal for me. Its a shame GW lost the rights for him :(