PDA

View Full Version : Tomb king chariots (impact hits and supporting attacks)

hattie
28-07-2010, 04:41
I really don't understand why I see TK players being so hard on their chariots these days. Yes they are not the rol;l up and WTF own everything they were in 7th and that is a real drag. However lets say your using this setup 5 chariots, tomb prince (great weapon, chariot of fire), plus whatever command if you want one. You run them in a 3x2 formation. You are pretty much going to get the charge eveytime unless something goes terribly wrong, and unless I am reading the rules incorrectly or missing something you get 5d3 and 1d6+1 (ranges from 7-23) str 4 impact hits. Then your likely to take wounds from step up attacks, but if your get lucky or a good flank charge your then looking at 3 str 6 attacks, and 23 str 3 attacks. I agree with most TK players as a whole chariots got worse. We lost the ability to use our chariots as an EXCELLENT shock force, but we can still vanguard, shoot, move fast, and are "fairly" resiliant when cmpared to other troop selections and VERY resiliant when compared to other TK troops. What are your guys thoughts.

(disclaimer: if I am reading the chariot impact hits and supporting attacks rules chariot are garbage reduced to roadblocks or lackluster warmachine hunters)

Ymir
28-07-2010, 05:10
If I've understood things correctly, chariot does not get a rank bonus unless their formation are five models wide, nor do they get impacts hits or even supporting attacks from models not in base contact with the enemy.

That being said, Tomb Kings chariot can still be pretty useful; they have gotten worse, that much is true, but the vanguard move does help a little. You can't attack heavy infantry blocks anymore, that's suicide, but S3 enemies have problems wounding the chariots' T4, and there are several items available that can help Tomb Kings chariots succeed - the Banner of Swiftness seems good, and the Razor Standard is very good, If I've understood correctly that it's effect also applies to impact hits. An Icon Bearer in chariot is also an option, he can have the Rampager's Standard that lets you reroll charge dice.

If you're gonna attack anything else than weaker/smaller support units, you'll need a tomb prince in your chariot unit, though - a flail of skull is always a great option for him. His 'my will be done' will help with the now utterly crucial maneuvering.

I had some success today with two separate units of 3 chariots (one with Tomb Prince and the Razor Banner), deployed on the same flank. They moved aggressively forward with their vanguard move, then split up to maneuver around to different targets - the prince left his unit and reformed, used his 'my will be done' to charge and kill a great eagle, while one of the chariot units charged and crushed 10 archers, pursuing them off the board. The prince then reformed again, and in the next round, he and the remaining chariot unit charged a block of 20 high elf spearmen with a BSB. The charge caused lots of damage (the prince challenged for massive overkill with his flail of skulls) but it took two turns to break them, whereupon the chariots continued on into a bolt thrower, destroying that as well.

Despite the success on that flank, other fronts broke apart for me, and I lost that game. Still, I've seldom had such success with chariots (it might be because I just finished painting the second unit), and I'm now convinced they can be very very useful still. One just has to choose his targets.

Also, never forget that the chariots actually have one bow each to shoot with. It's not much but, if you have a prince in a chariot unit and nothing else to do with the unit, his 'my will be done' won't be entirely wasted - three Tomb Kings bows might actually kill something.

hattie
28-07-2010, 05:16
If I've understood things correctly, chariot does not get a rank bonus unless their formation are five models wide, nor do they get impacts hits or even supporting attacks from models not in base contact with the enemy.

That is really unfortunate to hear I must have missed that somewhere in the BRB. I knew about the five models wide rule (becuase they rank up like cavalry, but I must have missed the fact that ONLY models in base to base get their impact hits. A units 5 chariots WIDE is way to many only 3 possinly 4 will ever get their impact hits. I would rather take heavy cav honestly, which is really really sad since they have been the whipping boys of the codex since it's release.

gdsora
29-07-2010, 15:09
That is really unfortunate to hear I must have missed that somewhere in the BRB. I knew about the five models wide rule (becuase they rank up like cavalry, but I must have missed the fact that ONLY models in base to base get their impact hits. A units 5 chariots WIDE is way to many only 3 possinly 4 will ever get their impact hits. I would rather take heavy cav honestly, which is really really sad since they have been the whipping boys of the codex since it's release.

The main reason people don't like them, is they lost their ability to negate ranks with flank charges(unless you bring 10 of them woo 400 points and maaaaassive )

And at 40 points a pop, they are not cheap, and with increased shooting they are fairly soft with T4 5+ save

Skyros
29-07-2010, 15:50
I think the TK FAQ may spell out that only chariots in base to base get their impact hits.