PDA

View Full Version : Free wheels when charging?

Corum Jhaelen Irsei
28-07-2010, 07:53
Hi all,

I was told at my local hobby store that when you charge, you are allowed to make two "free" wheel moves. One free wheel of up to 90o and one free wheel of unlimited arc.

So when you charge, you simply measure the direct distance between the two units, without "spending" any movement for any wheels, as the wheel moves you do when charging are "for free".

Is the above true?

Thanks!

solkan
28-07-2010, 07:59
It's on pages 18, 19 and 20 of the rulebook, with nice color diagrams.

It's worth noting that the free wheel of unlimited arc is only done when you actually contact the enemy unit, though.

Corum Jhaelen Irsei
28-07-2010, 08:11
so is the first wheel you make (the one that is up to 90 degrees arc) "for free" or it takes up movement from the unit's charge distance?

I have read the rulebook, can't find where it says that the first wheel is "for free" ?

solkan
28-07-2010, 08:25
The first wheel is effectively for free because page 20 says:

A charging unit can move an unlimited amount ...
before it goes on to qualify that there's only the one 90 degree wheel in that unlimited movement, along with a few other restrictions.

So, the wheel might not be "free", but no one cares what it costs.

Corum Jhaelen Irsei
28-07-2010, 08:26
thanks for clarifying :)

Eternus
28-07-2010, 09:48
Bear in mind though that the reason you get 'free wheels' is so you can get as many models into fighting positions as is possible, and it says you must do this.

Teongpeng
28-07-2010, 09:54
the book says "you are free to wheel"....does this mean we still have to measure the wheeling distance like last time? it doesnt exactly say the wheeling itself is free...

i understand u get a freewheel once u got base contact...but what about at the start of the charge move? is that free too?

T10
28-07-2010, 10:00
Is the above true?

It is true that you only need to measure the forward movement of the unit. If the charging unit needs to move around interposing terrain or units then simply measuring the distance between the units will not be sufficient.

Move the unit straight forward.
Wheel the unit up to 90 degrees.
Move the unit straight forward into contact with the target unit.
Wheel to "close the door".

-T10

Chipacabra
28-07-2010, 10:09
Only the distance between the units matters. In fact, you don't measure move distance at all when charging, just the straight line as-the-bird-flies distance between the two closest models of each unit. If the two units are 12" apart, you roll a charge distance of 13", the charge is successful even if you happen to move a total of 14" to get around a rock.

Teongpeng
28-07-2010, 10:16
I like this rule as it is cleaner and more efficient gameplay-wise. But....
ive a feeling i'm going to have a hard time convincing my gaming group unless i show them this thread. :(

Paraelix
28-07-2010, 10:17
the book says "you are free to wheel"....does this mean we still have to measure the wheeling distance like last time? it doesnt exactly say the wheeling itself is free...

i understand u get a freewheel once u got base contact...but what about at the start of the charge move? is that free too?

No, it doesn't count. If your closest corner to their unit is within the charge range rolled, then you successfully charge, as you are then permitted to move an unlimited distance to contact.

Eternus
28-07-2010, 11:25
No, it doesn't count. If your closest corner to their unit is within the charge range rolled, then you successfully charge, as you are then permitted to move an unlimited distance to contact.

With the proviso that you bring as many models into the fight as possible.

Paraelix
28-07-2010, 11:37
Yeh... It makes previously awkward units now easy to use... Hordes, Bret Lance Formation, 5x6+ units...

jaxom
28-07-2010, 16:48
It is true that you only need to measure the forward movement of the unit. If the charging unit needs to move around interposing terrain or units then simply measuring the distance between the units will not be sufficient.

Move the unit straight forward.
Wheel the unit up to 90 degrees.
Move the unit straight forward into contact with the target unit.
Wheel to "close the door".

-T10

Actually, there is no need to measure while moving at all as quoted by solkan. Moving forward, wheeling, none of it. Even if you are going around units and terrain and the hole the last dude put in the table with his elbow. You measure the distance to the target unit and if you roll high enough that M+2d6 puts you in then you are in. Now all you have to do is pick a path (of any length) that maximizes models in contact.