PDA

View Full Version : Necron nemesis?

Lord Khabal
28-07-2010, 08:38
Hi there!

I would like to ask the 40k vets what race would it be the necron arch nemesis? I'm going to star a new army (necron) and would like to recreate a battle scene between necrons and "X"...

From the fluff I've read (the few there is in the codex), they dont really care who's soul they pluck, as long as it has one. The C'tan arent picky.

Maybe the Eldar/Dark Eldar? Chaos SM / Daemons (nobody likes competition)? SM are an obvious candidate... Tyranids dont really care for the metal freaks, but they are eating their food! Orks just want to kick butt...

So what is your opinion, and in the case of SM/CSM, what would be the best suited chapter?

Fingol23
28-07-2010, 08:52
Eldar are the Necron's traditional nemesis having fought the War in Heaven against each other.

Polaria
28-07-2010, 11:53
Eldar and Necrons go far back, into the times when Eldar hadn't destroyed their own civilization. You have to remember that not all Necrons are mindless automatons. Specifically the Lords have retained their original personalities through all those years in Tomb and might actually remember fighting Eldar back then before going to sleep. They are really the archetype of "ancient rivalry".

The Necron Agenda is to completely seperate warp and real space, which kinda makes them big time enemies of Chaos.

ashendant
28-07-2010, 12:43
The Necron Agenda is to completely seperate warp and real space, which kinda makes them big time enemies of Chaos.

Except chaos is much more interested in playing "the game"

Stonerhino
28-07-2010, 13:32
The main Necron enemy no longer exist. It would be the Old Ones, but before they died out they created the Eldar and Orks. Either of those races and others not in the rules for 40k have been fighting the Necrons for more then 60 million years. But if you really want "Rivals" then use the Eldar because they still hate the Necrons and vice verses. Where as the Orks just like fighting.

spetswalshe
28-07-2010, 14:03
Anyone, knowingly or otherwise, who follows the plans of the Old Ones. Which is basically everyone alive at this point. Particular props would go to the Eldar and Hrud, who both venerate the Old Ones and are aware of their own parts to play. But anyone who ends up following an ancient prophecy probably counts. In terms of Space Marines, the Ultras have the most 'imma-goan-kill-you-roboskeletor' antagonistic relationship with the Necrons, whereas the Blood Angels take the role of the decent, if conservative, neighbour to a friendly gay couple - he doesn't approve of your lifestyle but he's basically alright and will help out if your garden gets invaded by Tyranids.

ashc
28-07-2010, 14:35
In terms of Space Marines, the Ultras have the most 'imma-goan-kill-you-roboskeletor' antagonistic relationship with the Necrons, whereas the Blood Angels take the role of the decent, if conservative, neighbour to a friendly gay couple - he doesn't approve of your lifestyle but he's basically alright and will help out if your garden gets invaded by Tyranids.

This all here is pure gold.

Necron Lord Omega
28-07-2010, 15:32
This all here is pure gold.

I agree, however we Necrons consider the Blood Angels to be the gay neighbours. :evilgrin:

fenrisnorth
28-07-2010, 15:47
Hive fleet trajectories suggest that the Tyranids actively avoid the Necrons, so uh, not the bugs, mate.

Eldar is my vote, though the Orks were also created by the old ones as a weapon against the 'crons.

RunepriestRidcully
28-07-2010, 16:20
Look at the Sanguinary Guard, I think we can agree the Necrons were the decent conservitive neighbours, the poor Dark Angels, they have had almost every aspect of them stolen by the other chapters, mind you the marines in general could be argued to be the couple.
Back on topic, my vote would go for the Eldar.

Lionsprey
28-07-2010, 16:29
Eldar hates Necrons and actually know about the threat they present

Stonerhino
28-07-2010, 22:48
I was just thinking that you could have other Necrons be the Necron Nemesis. Like the Deciever vs the Nightbringer. We know that of a few instances where the Deciever tryed to get the Nightbringer killed. Or even a rogue high level Necron Lord fighting other Necrons searching for a way to gain his old life back.

RayvenQ
28-07-2010, 23:51
Tyranids once they have chomped through the entire Eldar and Ork race and thusly, having used their genetic attributes to make a horrendous hybrid.

Imagine it, a Tyranid form with the psychic abilities of an Eldar, the sheer toughness and stubborness of an ork mixed with the relentlessness of the Tyranid overmind. (I've actually got a story mocked up in my head to bring this all about, though hard for me to explain.)

wyvirn
29-07-2010, 01:07
soory to burst your bubble man, but thats already happened. The 3rd ed codex says that Zoanthropes are made using Eldar DNA, Biovores from ork DNA. But don't feel bad, the other races were covered: Genestealers from Human DNA, and heritically, Tyrant Gaurd from a lost Astartes chapter. Although nothing says that a tendril or two won't take it a step further...

Wyrmwood
29-07-2010, 02:07
Spetswalshe is bang on the money; consequently, the Necron's nemesis is also life itself. But as for particular cinematic nemesis, Craftworld Eldar in particular. I can also see some great potential in battles against Adeptus Mechanicus forces - something cool like, some homebrew rules for the Necrons using some form of machine code equivilant to slowly seize control of Skitarii and other mechanical units.

Polaria
29-07-2010, 07:41
AdMech and Necrons are on the same side. AdMech just doesn't know it yet and Necrons aren't telling ;)

Radium
29-07-2010, 07:56
AdMech and Necrons are on the same side. AdMech just doesn't know it yet and Necrons aren't telling ;)

That is not a fact, it is only vaguely hinted at and some people take it as fact while others dismiss it.

Anyway, the Eldar are the guys you want. You have to remember though that when the Eldar fought the Necrons they did not have the different Paths and all that stuff they have now as it was way before the Fall.

Malice313
29-07-2010, 10:25
Necrons seem to be Lawful (to use and old WFRP term). They want to impose an unvarying constant on the universe.

This is the exact opposite to Chaos that inflicts meaningless, constant change.

Traditionally it has been Eldar as the main protagonists against the Necrons.

Shamana
29-07-2010, 11:07
When Chaos simply had not come around,
the Old Ones were basic'ly running the town.
They fashioned the Eldar for the psychical hustle
and worked out the Krork to be the dumb muscle.

The Old Ones are gone now, devolved or just dead,
The Ork plain forgot, from bashing their heads
The Eldar remember, but they are too few,
So now Smurfies step up and start fighting their due.
(Chaos wants them dead too, but since when is that new?)

Polaria
29-07-2010, 11:58
That is not a fact, it is only vaguely hinted at and some people take it as fact while others dismiss it.

Many things people take as fact are only vaguely hinted. For example, there is far more fluff on AdMech - Necron connection than Krork - Ork connection, for example. The only thing that makes the AdMech - Necron connection dismissed by so many is that very few people seem to have actually read the fluff parts of Necron codex. Not surprising, considered its an old codex with not as many players as Marines.

:D

Malice313
29-07-2010, 13:41

Nice! :)If it was shorter I'd put it on my sig.

Lord Damocles
02-08-2010, 20:00
Many things people take as fact are only vaguely hinted. For example, there is far more fluff on AdMech - Necron connection than Krork - Ork connection, for example. The only thing that makes the AdMech - Necron connection dismissed by so many is that very few people seem to have actually read the fluff parts of Necron codex. Not surprising, considered its an old codex with not as many players as Marines.
On the contrary. I'd argue that the AdMech - Necron connection(s) is/are not [generally] taken as fact because people *have* read Codex: Necrons and other relevant material, and recognise that any links aren't as clear cut as they are often portrayed as being.

On topic: I vote for [Craftworld] Eldar or Chaos.

Wyrmwood
02-08-2010, 20:28
If one ignores the annoying rendition of Dark Eldar in 'Nightbringer', then I'd say that they too could be considered foes of the Necrons in the same way that the Craftworld Eldar are, they're just not as proactive about it; which would be nice, to show that they're the not the complete idiots that McNeill seems to think they are.

Tokugawa100
02-08-2010, 22:10
The Eldar and Krorks "Orks" were there traditional first enemy as the Necrons, though really they hated the Old Ones more so because of their long lives.

Now Chaos is the enemy, the C'tan have no power in the warp, they control the material universe and so since they cannot destroy he warp they can only block it from real space, thus solving the problem.

Except this is pretty impossible even for the C'tan.