PDA

View Full Version : Go East?

Tenngate
28-07-2010, 14:11
I've been a long time fan of the 40k universe but have been remiss for ten years or so. Upon returning I stumbled upon the (superb) 40k Starmap. The universe sure is a big scary place. Many questions popped into my head whilst looking at it, but foremost was the enormity of Imperial expansion to the East which far outweighs all other directions. I always thought Lord Solar Machiarus was the Alexander of the 40k Universe yet his plunge south west is nothing to the Eastern Fringe.

Why is this? eh?! Was that the focal trajectory of the Great Crusade? Were the Ultramarines just a bit bloody good at pushing out? Was there incentive? Resources? Was it the primary area of pre imperial human space? Is there bugger all in the other directions?

Well, either way...a convenient buffer of space to slow the Great Devourer before it reaches Terra!

Plain answers as well as speculation are welcome!

ashc
28-07-2010, 14:33
Probably a combination of easily conquerable worlds willing to come in to the Imperial fold led by the efficiency and size of the Ultramarines.

Hrw-Amen
28-07-2010, 14:39
Whilst I understand what you mean by 'east' in terms of the map, I think we have to appreciate that in fact there is no north, south,east, west, up or down in space. Otherwise going in an east direction would depend on where you set off from on earth, where it was in its orbit and what time of day it is where you left from, where the sun was in its galatic orbit and so on.

Having said that, the eastern portion of the map and I guess from that perspective the galaxy has somewhat more room to expand as opposed to some other directions which (Travelling in the warp at leats I guess.) would get you to the edge reasonably quickly.

Now we have in other threads discussed things like our galaxy's satellites being nearer in some parts to our system than the other side of our galaxy is, so it could be argued why has the Imperium not expanded into them as well, but then who knows? I guess GW designers just did not look at the map of our local group when they designed the game and just went with a general overview of what they thought our own galaxy looked like.

Sephiroth
28-07-2010, 15:03
Upon returning I stumbled upon the (superb) 40k Starmap. The universe sure is a big scary place. Many questions popped into my head whilst looking at it, but foremost was the enormity of Imperial expansion to the East which far outweighs all other directions. I always thought Lord Solar Machiarus was the Alexander of the 40k Universe yet his plunge south west is nothing to the Eastern Fringe.

Why is this? eh?! Was that the focal trajectory of the Great Crusade? Were the Ultramarines just a bit bloody good at pushing out? Was there incentive? Resources? Was it the primary area of pre imperial human space? Is there bugger all in the other directions?

The last one mostly. Something to remember is that Earth (Terra) is not the dead centre of the galaxy.

http://www.nevadaspacegrant.com/wp-content/uploads/cache/55_BnHover.jpg

Rotate the above clockwise once, and you'd get the rough basis of the 40K star-map.

Tenngate
28-07-2010, 15:07
Fair one Hrw Amen on the "East thing." Either way that spherical arc is well established. Assuming that had the Horus Heresy not happened then big questions would be asked regarding other chapters lack of performance? Or did the Ultramarines simply have an easier task due to:
a natural Warp Current
They were re-treading pre Strife Humanity's footsteps

Either way, it serves to represent the awesome power that the imperium had during the great crusade. Machiarus's effort pale in comparison.
Is there any mention of Horus actually encouraging this Eastern push, putting as much distance between him and the Ultramarines as possible or was it simply a coincidence that turned into an opportunity to stake his claim?

lastly - did the Great Crusade end due to the Heresy or was there a period of consolidation which set the imperium's borders.

Questions questions

SharpSilver
28-07-2010, 15:25
lastly - did the Great Crusade end due to the Heresy or was there a period of consolidation which set the imperium's borders.

Once it became clear that Horus was a heretic the Emperor would have recalled all possible forces to defend against the traitors approaching Terra, including those on the Crusade in the far-reaches of the Galaxy. Obviously some were not able to assist (Space Wolves, Ultramarines and Dark Angels).

Kravunhive
29-07-2010, 21:56
Either way, it serves to represent the awesome power that the imperium had during the great crusade. Machiarus's effort pale in comparison.

In the grand scale of the Great Crusade, Macharius' crusade is pale but its been the greatest since and he was an un-genetically modified human super killing machine - Astartes.

But I've always seen the Eastern Fringe (in the time of the Great Crusade) as being like Siberia before the russian empire annexed it - vast, largely untammed wilderness, rich in resources, hostile etc

But in the 41st M I see it as being more civilised but still with areas of wilderness and extreme hostility. The Eastern Fringe is a frontier thats still being tammed

This is just how i see it of course