PDA

View Full Version : Electronic Dice

arcanecantrips
28-07-2010, 21:08
Just wondering, I've got a app for my Droid and it's specifically for warhammer/warhammer 40k.

It has normal 6 sided dice and also a scatter die.

Has anyone else used this or something similar that can tell me if there would be any issues using it in a game (not with a club or friends)?

Thanks.

Urgat
28-07-2010, 21:15
Your droid?

High Loremaster
28-07-2010, 21:18
I have not, but if there's a similar app for my IPod Touch, I might give it a go.

I feel like rolling fistfuls of dice is just more fun, though. Feels better. It'd be a good idea to have the app with you in case you forgot one of your specialty dice, I guess.

dragonet111
28-07-2010, 21:20
Hi.

I use an electronic dice for D&D once because I forgot to take the dice and we had nothing else.
It is useful as a back up plan but it is absolutely not fun. IMO rolling dice is part of the game and nothing can replace real dice.

I have black dice and red dice and the red one roll better with one exception the Death Company, always black dice with the Death Company :D

To answer your question I have absolutely no problem with you using this App, In a tournament it may be a problem.

TheKingInYellow
28-07-2010, 21:25
I have Dicenomicon on my iPhone, but no one lets me use it. They don't trust it :)

Lord Inquisitor
28-07-2010, 21:34
I have an app called "diceshaker" I downloaded for free for the iPhone. Nice app but it hasn't really replaced real dice for me. It is however great for randomization as it allows for D3, D4, D10, etc and it's indispensable for games that require funky dice and you realize you don't have any D20s.

Should put a shout out to exillis, considering that game handles all "dice rolls" and randomization via a computer program...

I have Dicenomicon on my iPhone, but no one lets me use it. They don't trust it :)

Cool looking app, does it work well? Nervous about spending $5!

Sad thing is that a computer based random number generator program is probably far far more fair than real dice, which are rarely truly entirely equally random.

Commodus Leitdorf
28-07-2010, 21:45
Your droid?

"We don't serve their kind here!"

Basically it's a smartphone similar to an Iphone.

I have that app on my droid too...but I prefer actually rolling dice to using it.

arcanecantrips
28-07-2010, 21:46
Thanks for the replies, I like using the physcial dice, but I swear everytime I do i'll end up leaving some (or all) of them at my friends house or the hobby shop.

Never played in a tournament, and if I did I'd end up using physcial dice anyway.

Got my droid with me know, in case any of you who have Droid and want the App it is called warhammer/40k combat assistant.

Thanks for the quick responses!

Kirth
28-07-2010, 21:57
Sad thing is that a computer based random number generator program is probably far far more fair than real dice, which are rarely truly entirely equally random.

Computer programming, like a random number generator, is entirely not random. It gives the illusion of randomness. Real dice are the only way to go.

Lord Inquisitor
28-07-2010, 22:02
Understood, but dice can be - and in my limited experience of testing them are - horribly unbalanced in some cases. A random number generator, particularly one used by both sides, seems more fair. Now, I haven't tested them, but a good random number generator seems random enough.

Commodus Leitdorf
28-07-2010, 22:07
Yeah, electronic dice are less prone to people simply dropping them as opposed to rolling them :rolleyes:

I mean I don't care if they hit my models! Roll the damn dice!!

Lijacote
28-07-2010, 22:20
Computer programming, like a random number generator, is entirely not random. It gives the illusion of randomness. Real dice are the only way to go.

Neither is shaking a fistful of dice random, it merely seems so to us.

Paraelix
28-07-2010, 23:55
Yeh, I'm on the side that wouldn't allow non-dice to be used :D

SiNNiX
29-07-2010, 00:46
I could care less either way.

I have a friend who makes alot of money by making iPhone apps and selling them to Mac (I think he sells them to Mac, anyway. He might do it illegally, I don't really know). He doesn't play Warhammer, so I guess I should convince him to make an app that rolls dice, but has a much higher chance to roll what you program it to roll (if you choose to do so). That'd be awesome. :D

Plagueridden
29-07-2010, 01:37
nice, next time make units in a how do you call it a game?
er perhaps on lets say a pc?
oh wait !
seriously...

Hannimar
29-07-2010, 01:45
If you continue to have bad dice rolls remember to wash them! That usually restarts their abilities :D

No electronic dice for me.

Vandelan
29-07-2010, 06:15
I honestly would prefer it if my opponents did not use dice applications like that.

Being able to see the results of my opponents dice CLEARLY when they have settled is sort of an important matter.

Jind_Singh
29-07-2010, 06:24
Sure we could use electronic dice...but it'd be the same as a holographic partner- good to look at but no fun unless you can hold them in your hands! Using electronic dice takes away from the fun of actually rattling them bones and letting them fly across on the table

Ney
29-07-2010, 08:58
If people want to use electronic dice, they can do so for all I care, I would never ever touch them, ruins all the fun :)

I got 3 sets of nice colorered dice, a green set with gold pips for my OnG, a stone set with bloodred pips for my Ogres, and a black set with white pips for my black marines with white plates. Also they come in a nice small container so you dont accidently forget any when you pack away. Mmm Dice!

Haravikk
29-07-2010, 13:11
I think electronic dice take away a lot of the fun, plus I just ordered a bit set of 36 of those Chessex frosted smoke coloured d6's to replace my horribly discoloured odd white dice :)

Arbas
29-07-2010, 13:19
When the dice gods curse you with bad rolls and you hurl the damned things out of the nearest window it's usually pretty cheap but when you start chucking your iPhone out the window you better have an understanding insurance company :)

Spien
29-07-2010, 18:52
Never understood the superstition around dice.

As for a dice roller app, it's too easy to write your own and have it give better results when you hold the button down longer then normal or when the device is held a specific way (accelerometer). It wouldn't matter if both people were using the same device & app.

stainawarjar
29-07-2010, 19:04
When the dice gods curse you with bad rolls and you hurl the damned things out of the nearest window it's usually pretty cheap but when you start chucking your iPhone out the window you better have an understanding insurance company :)

If you do either... Wouldn't a good psychiatrist be what you'd need instead?

Phaedrus
29-07-2010, 21:57
What would be interesting is if the program you were using kept a running tally of how many times each number had been rolled. I've had a number of games where my opponent blamed his loss on "bad dice" and I am curious how often that perception is true.

And then, if you are a geek like myself, it would be fun if it calculated the odds of that result happening. The rarity of the situation may be of some comfort when you roll 5 miss-fires on 6 rolls in your first two turns of combat :cries:

AndrewGPaul
29-07-2010, 22:34
Never understood the superstition around dice.

As for a dice roller app, it's too easy to write your own and have it give better results when you hold the button down longer then normal or when the device is held a specific way (accelerometer). It wouldn't matter if both people were using the same device & app.

If that's seriously something that would concern you during a game of Warhammer, then I honestly feel sorry for you. Clearly, you have such a low opinion of humanity if you can't even trust your friends. :)

I have the Dicenomicon app. I wouldn't have a problem using it, or allowing someone else to use it (or one they wrote themselves, for that matter). Most of the dice roller apps are easier to read the totals than looking at a heap of D6 anyway. The Dicenomicon can be programmed to roll n D6, and tell you how many scored equal to or greater than x. Handy for huge melee combats.

solkan
30-07-2010, 00:13
If that's seriously something that would concern you during a game of Warhammer, then I honestly feel sorry for you. Clearly, you have such a low opinion of humanity if you can't even trust your friends. :)

For some of us, it's because we have such a low opinion of software random number generators. :p

A dice rolling program is something that anyone can write, and there's absolutely no way of telling whether it's fair without examining the source code. Show me the source code for your dice roller, and you'll get to use it. :)