PDA

View Full Version : starting ogre kingdoms need lots of help

BrotherCaptainS
29-07-2010, 03:13
This will be my first fantasy army, so I really don't know what I'm climbing into.

Obviously ogres like to be up close and personal. But I hear led belchers are awesome. Then there are gnoblars and yetis and maneaters. I have no idea. I'm doing 2000 points. Help me.

Halelel
29-07-2010, 05:18
I'm not an OK player myself, but might want to start here :

http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=264105

and ogrestronghold.com

Vandelan
29-07-2010, 05:22
Battalions, buy them, love them. That's the best start right there, units and everything. Buy one or two and BAM! you've got a great start.

Gork or Possibly Mork
29-07-2010, 05:34
Agree with others battalions are a great deal when starting ogres and your better off getting one or two now while it's a steal cause the new battalion likely won't be so good.

Also OgreStronghold is a great site with tons of info.

Me personally Im not a fan of the following units especially so in 8th from what I can see.

Hunters, Yheetees, Maneaters ( simply put, expensive points and price wise and just not effective enough imo )

Everything else is great.

Obviously for characters you'll want a tyrant, bsb and butcher(s) or slaughter master. If your good at conversions and greenstuff you can make some from the battalion out of regular ogre troops.

All the core are good to have. Personally I think a mix of bulls, ironguts, gnoblars is best. The battalions come with plenty of extra gnoblars.

Specials scraplaunchers are awesome this edition ( The model is a beast to put together though ) Supposedly a new model is on the horizon so you may want to wait. Leadbelchers are good. Personally I find them unreliable at times but I like them. I usually like small units of 2.

For rares Gorgers are a must. I like slavegiants too but some people don't.

Ney
29-07-2010, 08:26
Agree with others battalions are a great deal when starting ogres and your better off getting one or two now while it's a steal cause the new battalion likely won't be so good.

Also OgreStronghold is a great site with tons of info.

Me personally Im not a fan of the following units especially so in 8th from what I can see.

Hunters, Yheetees, Maneaters ( simply put, expensive points and price wise and just not effective enough imo )

Everything else is great.

Obviously for characters you'll want a tyrant, bsb and butcher(s) or slaughter master. If your good at conversions and greenstuff you can make some from the battalion out of regular ogre troops.

All the core are good to have. Personally I think a mix of bulls, ironguts, gnoblars is best. The battalions come with plenty of extra gnoblars.

Specials scraplaunchers are awesome this edition ( The model is a beast to put together though ) Supposedly a new model is on the horizon so you may want to wait. Leadbelchers are good. Personally I find them unreliable at times but I like them. I usually like small units of 2.

For rares Gorgers are a must. I like slavegiants too but some people don't.

Seconded.

Also feel free to pass through the Ogre Stronghold, plenty of tactica, army lists for inspiration and other friendly ogres :)