PDA

View Full Version : Units of 10 Marauder Horsemen any good?

Rosstifer
29-07-2010, 06:36
So I've assembled 10 marauder horsemen to have spears and command, will run them 5 wide 2 deep, mainly cuz it looks cool and I always take bigger units of Marauders than their Chaos Armoured counterparts (makes sense fluffwise)

So, onto my questions

What should I use this unit for? (I really did just do it for looks)
What mark should I give them?
Are they any good??????

Rosstifer
29-07-2010, 09:14
Hmm. I like Polls too much it seems. Hard to resist.

Lord of the End Times
29-07-2010, 09:56
If you are going for two ranks, why not bump up to 12 so you can take a couple of casualties and still negate ranks with a flank charge? I run mine as minimal units of 5 with javelins, spears (flails would be better) and shields. They aren't a heavy combat unit, just very annoying for the enemy to have buzzing around.

Pawn of Decay
29-07-2010, 10:00
I've been playing around with the idea of a uit of 6 or 12 marauder horsemen. Mark of Khorne and Flails. No command of anything else, cheap and cheerful. Using the vanguard move etc. it the unit has become great at hitting them quickly and hard for the nice big units of archers etc. taht people are favouring atm. the unit of 12 works better at 210pts, being able to take casulties and even if the back 6 are all dead before you hit combat, you still kick out 12 Str 5 attacks at Iniative 4, plus the horses.

Eternus
29-07-2010, 10:11
It depends on what you want them to do - if you want them to Disrupt enemy units, then 10 isn't enough because it's a simple thing to cause one casualty on them, either by shooting or in CC when they charge a unit, and then they can't Disrupt anymore. If you just want to use them to claim a Flank or Rear bonus, then you probably don't need 10 and 2 units of 5 may be more flexible.

A unit of 10 could be good for other things though, like taking on enemy Skirmishers or Warmachine hunting or various other things that don't involve charging large infantry blocks.

nzdarkelf
29-07-2010, 11:10
It appears the way I read the rules that the Parry Rule can be used by Cavalry as long as you take the Hand Weapon and shield option. MoTz gives a Ward Save bonus that stacks with it, giving an over all 5+ Ward Save. This is quite useful. Best bit is if you really wish to retain Fast Cavalry status just don't give them light armour. Although the hand weapon won't give the strength bonus of a spear, that only applies if you charge. To compensate I would give them Throwing Axes as well for 10 (or 12) Str 4 stand and shoot attacks.

Odin
29-07-2010, 11:46
They're a bit hit-and-miss. Against armies with limited mobile firepower they can be devastating. Against Elves they will just be annihilated before they can do anything.

Best set-up would be a unit of 12 with the Mark of Khorne, Flails, Throwing Axes & Light Armour. Ideally send them up against an enemy unit with I3 or less. You can throw axes, then stand and shoot with axes, then fight first with loads of S5 attacks. Quite expensive for what they do though, so you'd have to consider whether a unit of Knights wouldn't do the job just as well.

Rochr
29-07-2010, 11:53
The real problem with these guys and the reason why I put them on the shelf is that they are too expensive. You pay a lot of points for a model that can technically die within one turn of fire power. Five horsemen with Flails and Light Armour will cost you 80 points, give them mark of Slaanesh and that is 90 points. You also always want a Musician for such a unit so it will end up at 96 points. Now add another 5 regular guys, that is 176 points for 10 which is just too much for an annoyance unit.

Yes they are great Warmachine hunters but they will draw too much fire from the enemy and they aren't cheap enough to be called a "throw away" unit. For the same point you can get 30 Warhounds... To me that seems more worthwile even without the Vanguard rule. Atleast three units of 10 Warhounds will stay in the game longer.

Thats my take on it. If they were cheaper they would be alot better.

Witchblade
29-07-2010, 12:07
They can only take on support units (with low I) and warmachines, so I'd never give them another rank. 2 units of 6 would be a lot better, as they could attack different warmachines and would be more sacrificial to go mage hunting.

Brother Drakist
29-07-2010, 13:41
I am going to be using 3x10 units of Chaos Marauder horsemen with varying loadouts. I am doing this as part of a theme. As far as effectiveness I won't know until I do some testing. Regardless, play what you like as you will have more fun that way.

Liancour
29-07-2010, 13:49
It appears the way I read the rules that the Parry Rule can be used by Cavalry as long as you take the Hand Weapon and shield option.
Unfortunately not. P.88 clearly states that "the parry save (...) nor can it be used by mounted models".

I would rather use marauder horsemen by 15 to get the opportunity to disrupt opponent's rank.
I guess by 10 with javelins they still can be a usefull shooting unit (vanguard, march and javelins range, you can shoot at a unit within 40" of your deploiement).

Windings of a snake
29-07-2010, 14:23
in my eyes a unit of five to six horsemen with throwing axes with musician and slaanesh is a viable option.

You may wish to add light armour and/or flails. Not very expensive and flexible.

nzdarkelf
29-07-2010, 21:34
Unfortunately not. P.88 clearly states that "the parry save (...) nor can it be used by mounted models".

Thanks I had missed that.