PDA

View Full Version : Are single characters on foot allowed to march and shoot?

Corum Jhaelen Irsei
29-07-2010, 07:01
Hi, I read that skirmishers can march and shoot their missile weapons.

Does that mean that single characters on foot can march and shoot their missile weapon?

e.g. a wood elf alter noble can march 18" and then shoot his hail of doom arrow missile?

Frosty_TK
29-07-2010, 08:53
I don't recall reading that anywhere. So I presume: No, they do not. But a character joining a unit of skirmishers becomes one, so that may be the way to go?

Corum Jhaelen Irsei
29-07-2010, 09:09
it's a bit weird that shooting at 20 skirmishers gives you -1 penalty, while shooting at one character on foot gives no penalties, but since the rules say so !!!

(single characters are not skirmishers in 8th edition! plain genius :D)

slasher
29-07-2010, 10:23
the bit I like is you shoot a skink priest on his own at BS but shooting a unit of terradons at the same distance your at -1 :s

(gets funnier when you think skinks are on a 20mil base, terradons are on 40 mm bases)

Haravikk
29-07-2010, 11:35
Well for Terradons if you think about when you shoot they may be in the air, it's only for rules purposes that they are assumed to land at the end of a move, and hitting things flying about over you isn't all that easy :)

But certainly squaring off against some Wood Elves it's weird that a small unit of scouts is harder to hit than a Wood Elf hero that's strayed out on his own. But they have specific mentions of characters becoming skirmishers if they join the unit, which implies it's not just an oversight.

I suppose you can sort of justify it in that Skirmishers move about in a different way, whereas an army general clad in armour might be walking along bawling out orders so isn't moving quite as erratically and therefore is a bit easier to hit. I dunno, it's a slightly weird thing though! Does kind of encourage you to keep your characters in units if they're not too good with being shot.

wilsongrahams
29-07-2010, 18:19
The difference is that skirmishers now represent a slihtly different effect to 7th ed and previous. Whereas you could think of it as a random charging unit before like say the scots in Braveheart as opposed to the Spartans in 300, now Skirmishers have a more rigid formation but kinda just skulk about rather than walking upright, hence a character is treated as a normal unit unless he has the SKirmisher rule - if he joins skirmishers, then he takes their example and keeps low. When an officer joins a load of men on Normandy beaches in a film, how often does he stay standing upright whilst everyone around him hides?

Khorneflakes
30-07-2010, 23:45
he stays upright just the once :D