PDA

View Full Version : Battle Standard Bearer and extra equipment

Eternus
29-07-2010, 09:07
Ok, I did search for this, honest!

Can a BSB use both hands, for example to use a Shield and Hand Weapon, or two Hand Weapons, or does he need to keep a hand free to carry the standard? The entry in the army list for the BSB does not state that he needs a hand free, so I'm assuming that he can carry the standard and use a weapon or shield in each hand.

Is that right?

Lord of the End Times
29-07-2010, 09:11
Yes, correct. I can't remember exactly where I read it but the Battle Standard does not take up a hand, so you can take 2 hands worth of equipment as well.

shadow hunter
29-07-2010, 09:12
A skaven BSB uses his tail to hold it :p

Eternus
29-07-2010, 09:16
Yes, correct. I can't remember exactly where I read it but the Battle Standard does not take up a hand, so you can take 2 hands worth of equipment as well.

Nice one, cheers dude. I think it may have been FAQ'd at some point, and it's down to the fact that people like me make an assumption based on logic that simply isn't in the rules, so I'm gonna go for it like this:

"Lacerous raised the standard of Sabyllus the Excruciator high and bellowed his challenge to the skies, and then thrust it deep into the sodden ground. He stepped around to stand before the gaudy banner whipping in the gale, and hefted his brutal mace and his gleaming shield, ready to face the foe......."

Memnos
29-07-2010, 09:18
Nice one, cheers dude. I think it may have been FAQ'd at some point, and it's down to the fact that people like me make an assumption based on logic that simply isn't in the rules, so I'm gonna go for it like this:

"Lacerous raised the standard of Sabyllus the Excruciator high and bellowed his challenge to the skies, and then thrust it deep into the sodden ground. He stepped around to stand before the gaudy banner whipping in the gale, and hefted his brutal mace and his gleaming shield, ready to face the foe......."

Or back banners, which were popular in medieval Asia. And horribly gaudy 1990s 40K.

Eternus
29-07-2010, 09:20
Or back banners, which were popular in medieval Asia. And horribly gaudy 1990s 40K.

Back Banners are cool, but are more of a personal standard aren't they?

Lord of the End Times
29-07-2010, 14:08
I like that image. Another way of looking at it is that a shield and banner in the same hand are not necessarily incompatible - look at the chaos knight standard bearer for example. I imagine bashing someone over the head with the thing would be pretty punishing too, so it could be a weapon in itself. Back banners are practical but I think they lack the coolness factor compared to hand held ones.

Althwen
29-07-2010, 14:42
I don't recall the exact page number, but the 8th edition Rulebook sported a paragraph on standard bearers being the cream of the unit. One wouldn't hand the clumsy dude the unit banner, would they? Nop, it's an honour bestowed upon the best and they said something along the lines:
We can assume that this better-than-average warrior will know how to retain his deadliness even when toting a seven foot pole...
In gameterms he doesn't suffer any penalties for carrying a banner.

wilsongrahams
29-07-2010, 18:12
Just assume he digs the pole into the ground before drawing his great weapon to recieve the enemy charge or whatever.

Avian
29-07-2010, 18:35
There is a note about how tough standard bearers are on page 94.

Dark Aly
29-07-2010, 19:01
unfortunately though- those with older army books cannot give their BSB mundane equipment other than armour. if the army book doesn't say you can't then yes BSB can have all the mundane goodies that their none flag waving compatriots can

Avian
29-07-2010, 19:10
Nowadays you can get magic shields unless your army book explicitly forbids shields, though.

Dark Aly
29-07-2010, 19:18
thats true but strange. i want an empire captain with the griffon banner and a shield :( i do miss my griffon banner.

on an aside i do think its strange that if you take a cheap magic flag you cannot then utilise cheap magic items (up to 50pts of course)

Paraelix
29-07-2010, 20:27
Nowadays you can get magic shields unless your army book explicitly forbids shields, though.

Example? :/

Draconian77
29-07-2010, 20:35
Replace the "unless" with "if" in Avians comment and it makes more sense.

Basically (as an example), an Empire Bsb cannot have a mundane shield but he can have a magical shield due to the changes in selecting magic armour from 7th to 8th.

Kneedles
29-07-2010, 23:46
A blanket "Heroes that are made into BSB's may still take mundane equipment," in the round of faqs would have been amazing, but GW didn't think it mattered for the older (say 6th ed) books in comparison to the newer books, which can take mundane gear.

Draconian77
30-07-2010, 00:21
We play it as a house rule and from what I see and hear, so do many others.

R-Love
30-07-2010, 01:02
unfortunately though- those with older army books cannot give their BSB mundane equipment other than armour. if the army book doesn't say you can't then yes BSB can have all the mundane goodies that their none flag waving compatriots can

They Errata'd this in the OK FAQ, yet strangely don't seem to have done it in any others (or at least not any I checked). Seems a little odd, but a nice bonus for Ogres