PDA

View Full Version : Random spell picking items

Mr.chair
29-07-2010, 18:04
Hi everyone. my question is in regards to items that allow you to have one randomly selected spell. There are a few out there, and I can't name them all off the top of my head, but the specific instance I'm looking at is the Empire enchanted item the Ring of Volans. The question is: can I still default to the signature spell from the lore I choose with the ring? It seems weird that you would not be able to, seeing as that's the only way to get the signature spell, but I don't see anything to indicate either way. Thanks in advance.

Zaustus
30-07-2010, 06:26
Since no one has responded to this, I'll answer it. My understanding is that whenever you pick a random spell, you may choose to swap it for the signature spell (or the #1 spell for army book lores).

Paraelix
30-07-2010, 06:35
I'd check the FAQs... I would in fact assume not. I believe Gorthor and the Waraltar have already set a precedent for not being able to swap.

Zaustus
30-07-2010, 06:51
I'm not sure what you mean with the War Altar reference. That isn't determined randomly, but rather chosen at the time of casting. I'm not seeing anything that would prevent the Empire player from choosing the signature spell, unless I'm missing something here.

And as for Gorthor, I'd actually posit that his erratum suggests the opposite. The fact that they specifically changed his rules to disallow swapping indicates that in the absence of such a rule, you can swap spells as normal.

T10
30-07-2010, 06:59
The Ring of Volans makes no reference to any standard procedure for selecting spells. It simply states that the spell is "random" and as such you are stuck with whatever you get.

-T10