PDA

View Full Version : WoC 2250 - Critique needed for two lists before I buy



bluegdec1
30-07-2010, 04:20
Two lists - One Tzeentch Sorc led with a Warshrine, the other mono-Khorne. Excited to see what you guys think. No matter what list, I'll be taking two units of 15 Khorne warriors with halberds, a BSB with Doom Totem, and Two Hellcannons. My problem lies with filling out the other 1200 or so points. Fire away.

Edit: Inserting the following updated list.

Alright. Did some shifting around, and managed to fit in two units of 18 warriors, and a marauder horde. Further critique much appreciated.


WoC - 2250 pts

1 Sorcerer Lord of Tzeentch @ 385 pts (General; Mark of Tzeentch; Level 4 Upgrade; Hand Weapon; Chaos Armor)
- Disc of Tzeentch (Flaming Attacks; Causes Fear; Flyer)
- Enchanted Shield
- Blood of Tzeentch
- Talisman of Endurance

1 Exalted Hero of Khorne (Battle Standard Bearer) @ 250 pts (Mark of Khorne; Barding; Hand Weapon; Halberd; Chaos Armor; Shield; Battle Standard Bearer; Frenzy)
- Chaos Steed
- Doom Totem

30 Chaos Marauders of Khorne @ 200 pts (Always Strikes Last; Mark of Khorne; Musician; Standard Bearer; Hand Weapon; Great Weapon; Frenzy)
- Chieftan of Khorne (Always Strikes Last; Mark of Khorne; Hand Weapon; Great Weapon; Frenzy)

18 Chaos Warriors of Khorne @ 366 pts (Mark of Khorne; Musician; Standard Bearer; Hand Weapon; Halberd; Chaos Armor; Shield; Frenzy)
- Champion of Khorne (Mark of Khorne; Hand Weapon; Halberd; Chaos Armor; Shield; Frenzy)

18 Chaos Warriors of Khorne @ 348 pts (Mark of Khorne; Musician; Standard Bearer; Hand Weapon; Halberd; Chaos Armor; Frenzy)
- Champion of Khorne (Mark of Khorne; Hand Weapon; Halberd; Chaos Armor; Frenzy)

5 Chaos Knights of Khorne @ 290 pts (Mark of Khorne; Musician Mus; Standard Bearer Std; Barding; Hand Weapon; Chaos Armor; Shield; Causes Fear; Frenzy)
- Champion of Khorne (Mark of Khorne; Hand Weapon; Chaos Armor; Shield; Frenzy)
- Banner of Eternal Flame

1 Hellcannon @ 205 pts (Causes Terror; Large Target; Unbreakable)

1 Hellcannon @ 205 pts (Causes Terror; Large Target; Unbreakable)

Total Roster Cost: 2249

Purposes/rundown for each unit:
Sorc has a 1+/4++, flies, causes fear, and can reroll 1 non-1 casting die per turn. (figured this was better than skull of katam since its 15 points cheaper, and has a 4/6 chance of being at least a +1 if I were to reroll a 2).

Chaos Warriors: blast whatever infantry unit they run into, barring init 6 elite infantry. 25 WS/Str/Init 5 attacks should be enough to munch whatever they're pointed at.

Marauders: Hold up the few elite units that are faster than my warriors. A potential 40 str 5 attacks is a scary proposition. More likely to average around 28-32 due to some being out of b2b.

Knights: run into things with regenerate/warmachines/small elite infantry units.

Hellcannons: blast apart infantry that worry me, cause panic tests with -2 leadership modifier (Doom totem is epic).

Thanks again all.

Kardon
30-07-2010, 09:39
Personaly I would beef the warriors up to 18-20 so you can afford to take some casualty from shooting/magic and still get to chopp back with all attacks in the combat phase later on. The games ive played in 8ed realy depended on the 3-5 extra warriors. I like both lists tho. My own army is a mix of your 2 lists in 1:P(altho we usually play 2500) so it realy depends(imo) what you are gonna play against. marauder horde is rather good at taking on elite units with higher I then your warriors.The only difference i see as to what to buy is that u need to buy a sorcerer lord extra. so why not just go for both?

theSkullduggery1
30-07-2010, 14:34
You can't field Chaos Knights in a unit of less than 5 even if you are putting a hero with them.

Also, I'm not convinced that lists without magic will be ok, I've played a couple games where I feel that if I didn't have at least a lvl 2 I would have been torn apart in the magic phase.

I'd probably take your first list but throw some of the Warriors from one unit into the other and drop the rest of the unit and take the Marauder horde that you have in your second list.

Rincewind
30-07-2010, 15:38
I would avoid double-rare choices in anything less than 3,000 as (at least here) such a choice is either outright banned in tournaments or severely penalized in composition score. Also, it's a bit OTT. :D

bluegdec1
30-07-2010, 15:58
You can't field Chaos Knights in a unit of less than 5 even if you are putting a hero with them.

My bad on presentation there - it's 4 knights + 1 champion for a unit of 5 total.

Ill rework the list with the marauder horde in mind: are you guys finding that they really don't just get torn apart by stone throwers/flame template weapons? The no save thing is killing me...

bluegdec1
30-07-2010, 16:11
Personaly I would beef the warriors up to 18-20 so you can afford to take some casualty from shooting/magic and still get to chopp back with all attacks in the combat phase later on. The games ive played in 8ed realy depended on the 3-5 extra warriors. I like both lists tho. My own army is a mix of your 2 lists in 1:P(altho we usually play 2500) so it realy depends(imo) what you are gonna play against. marauder horde is rather good at taking on elite units with higher I then your warriors.The only difference i see as to what to buy is that u need to buy a sorcerer lord extra. so why not just go for both?

Will def that this into account. Gonna try beefing up the warrior squad.

popisdead
30-07-2010, 23:06
The Runesword on your BSB is better than the Doom Totem. The Helm of many Eyes and a halberd is good too, and you get to buy the Bronze Armour of Zhrak (she should also have a juggy)

Helcannons aren't as good as the other rares.

The Tzeentch Lord on the disc is a target and doesn't get the awesome BRB lores.

Champions are kinda useless in most cases. They are OK but will die in most combat.

Don't ignore that Spawn are tactically awesome (but the ugliest models in the store)

bluegdec1
31-07-2010, 00:08
The Runesword on your BSB is better than the Doom Totem. The Helm of many Eyes and a halberd is good too, and you get to buy the Bronze Armour of Zhrak (she should also have a juggy)

Helcannons aren't as good as the other rares.

The Tzeentch Lord on the disc is a target and doesn't get the awesome BRB lores.

Champions are kinda useless in most cases. They are OK but will die in most combat.

Don't ignore that Spawn are tactically awesome (but the ugliest models in the store)

This runs counter to just about everything I've thought about. I don't really plan on throwing the BSB into close combat solo - he'll likely be spending some time in either the marauder or knight unit.

Tzeentch magic is pretty easy to cast (lower average casting values), and has some great spells (Pandaemonium, Treason of Tzeentch, Infernal Gateway). Add in that none of the spells require line of sight, and I should be able to park him behind LOS blocking terrain all game.

Pandaemonium specifically has great synergy with the Doom Totem, since it would reduce all models to their native leadership minus 1 (7 at the most for the vast majority of units, 42% chance of failing any ld-based test).

Champions can save my units some casualties in the event that they come up against a killy hero with multiple attacks. I'd rather save most of my models for the following round if possible.

Hellcannons have improved greatly imo, and can actually defend themselves against the small units that are typically used to take out war machines and their crews. Add in their synergy with the Doom Totem (any unit with models hit, not necessarily wounded) and Pandaemonium, and you have the possibility of forcing panic tests on 2 units a turn on a max leadership of 6 (roughly 58% chance of failure, followed by panic tests for any nearby units with a 42% chance of failure).

Then again, maybe we just have really different playstyles? What sort of list do you typically go with?

Zaustus
31-07-2010, 03:23
I actually think Hellcannons are by far the best rare Chaos has. Spendy, but great.

On the other hand, I like my SorcLord using Shadows from a bunker unit instead of zipping around on his own. I have a L2 Tzeentch Sorc who does that, and he works pretty well.

I agree with popisdead about champions; I don't take them unless I'm putting a character in the unit too.

I've never used Spawn, but they look singularly unimpressive to me. I can't offer much more useful commentary on them, I'm afraid.

On the BSB, I like 'em well defended so I go for defensive stuff and just a mundane banner. Doom Totem has spiffy synergy with your double-Hellcannon plan though. I'd be tempted to bring a Slaanesh sorc along to benefit from said synergy.