PDA

View Full Version : A Challenge in a multiple combat, did we play it right?

Nicha11
31-07-2010, 08:09
Yesterday during a game an interesting scenarion emegered.

S= Slann T= Temple Guard O=Orcs C=chariot B= Orc General

OOOOOOOOOO
OOOOOOOOOO
OOOOOOOOOO
TTTTTTCCC
TTSSTTCCC
__SS
OOBOO
OOOOO
OOOOO

So a Slann and his templeguard are engaged in combat with a horde of orcs to the front, a chariot to the flank and another unit of orcs with the orc general in the rear.

My Slann issued a challenge and his general accepted, does this mean that the unit to the templeguards rear cannot fight as they are not in contact with any unit they can fight?
(man that is badly worded:o)

Thats how we played, it seemed a bit strange to have a Slann protecting his temple guard by challenging the opposing general, but it saved the Temple Guard from a pummeling:D

Tykinkuula
31-07-2010, 08:27
BRB pg. 102, fighting a challenge;

If character accepts a challenge, move him in to base contact with the challenger... If, for whatever reason, this is not possible, assume the two models are in base contact

In this case slann being in the second rank and being not allowed to be placed in 1st would simply have you assuming the two are in b2b regardless, even though they physically arent. The challenge happens normally.

Nicha11
31-07-2010, 08:44
BRB pg. 102, fighting a challenge;

If character accepts a challenge, move him in to base contact with the challenger... If, for whatever reason, this is not possible, assume the two models are in base contact

In this case slann being in the second rank and being not allowed to be placed in 1st would simply have you assuming the two are in b2b regardless, even though they physically arent. The challenge happens normally.

:confused:

The Slann was in base to base contact with his general.

Although i did substitute "big boss" for "Orc General" so anymisidentification is my fault.

solkan
31-07-2010, 08:59
As far as the Temple Guard not being in base contact with anyone, see page 49 of the rulebook, the bit about strange gaps and incomplete ranks.

As illustrated by the diagram of the Goblins being charged in the rear by the Dwarves, the Temple Guard would fight the boss's unit across the gap and the orcs in that unit would fight back across the same gap.

Tykinkuula
31-07-2010, 11:18
:confused:

The Slann was in base to base contact with his general.

Although i did substitute "big boss" for "Orc General" so anymisidentification is my fault.

*facepalm* Maybe I'll get my morning coffee first, THEN try to answer on rules questions :rolleyes:

The answer to your question, as already pointed by Solkan above, the diagram at the lower right corner of page 49 shows oyu what to do.
In case of an incomplete back rank, models from the second last rank are considered to fill the empty space and engage the enemy.