PDA

View Full Version : 750pts Lizardmen against DE

RunepriestRidcully
31-07-2010, 16:08
There is a campaign at my local GW, and my next match is against a Dark Elf player, and since I started slightly late to the campaign, my army is 750pts whilst his is 850pts, and we are allowed to change army lists between games, so everyone else is tailoring their lists, which he is doing, so any advice?
My main problems on making my list are:
1)Heroes, what Hero sould I take, I am thinking of either, A) A Level 2 skink priest with either channeling staff or plaque of Tepok to help dissell and either boost the rest of the army or do a bit of zapping, depending on what spells I get. my second choice is a Scar vet with The Gamblers armour, Halberd and Shield of the mirrored pool, whilst costing 139pts, could be very good as he would be tough for the elves to take down and protect the unit of saurus from magic missiles.
the things I know I definatly will have are 1)A unit of 20 saurus with full command, these guys do well, in last game against daemons of chaos* they got charged by seekers, wiped out the seekers, then got charged by a horde of Daemonattes, who did about one wound and the Saurus wiped out, their T4 ment the daemonetts struggeled to harm them, and so the elves will have problems as well. 2) A unit of 2 salamanders, these guys are just fun to use, plus have nice looking models. 3) A unit of Skink skirmishers, these guys can do okay, some times they don't work that well, but have been known to kill an Ogre in combat:eek: and they can protect the Saurus so they are good.
apart from that I was thinking perhaps a unit of 4-5 Terradons, or would more skinks, saurus or perhaps a small unit of temple guard be better?

WarmbloodedLizard
31-07-2010, 22:56
you will lose. playing with 750 LM vs. 850 DE with their undercosted choices is really not much fun. you could expect a hydra and focus on killing the thing and then maul the rest with saurus.

ScarVet, Cold One, Light Aarmor, Shield, Burning Blade, re-roll AS talisman, +a 5pts item (158)
25 Saurus, spears, musician, standard (318)
10 skirmishers (70)
5 Chams (60)
5 Chams (60)
Sala (75)

-if he has more than one unit of Repeater Crossbows, use your skirmishers as a screen for your saurus and after the first turn use them together with the chams against the hydra. (of course, a sorceress on pegasus has priority).
-The Sala, of course, tries to flame Rank and File units.
-The SV should be run alone, unscreened. let the Repeater Crossbows shoot at him. even if he rolls well, more than 1 wound is unlikely and you just saved some saurus/the salamander. just make sure you're not in short range. (later, use him to finish the hydra or strengthen your Saurus).
-saurus just walk forward

if he has a no hydra or a sorceress in a unit, you have to adapt.

edit: changed abreviations

B-ROCK
01-08-2010, 00:30
take a stegadon and a slann always

WarmbloodedLizard
01-08-2010, 07:52
take a stegadon and a slann always

right, because that's possible on this level ^^ babysteg would be possible, but CoK/hydra just rape it and you would still have no answer to it.

RunepriestRidcully
01-08-2010, 08:23
What had you given the Scar vet? I don't know what the abreiviations mean.
A list I have come up with is
Skink priest level with plaque of tepok 115pts
20 saurus full command 250pts
10 skink skirmishers 70pts
5 chameleon skinks 60pts
4 terradons 120pts
2 Salamanders with an extra handeler 155pts
I have never used chamleon skinks before, so I am not sure what they will do, whilst terradons I was thinking could drop racks on a hydra if need be, or go sorceress/warmachine hunting with their stomp attacks. Do you think it could be any good?

WarmbloodedLizard
01-08-2010, 08:51
changed abreviations

the problem with terradon is, that they will only get a single wound. and that's if they are lucky. they also cost a lot and will die to shooting very fast. they could be viable though, if you manage to drop rocks and then charge crossbows in the flank or similar.

chameleons give you an immediate threat that is immune to shooting, just don't let him charge them. if he wastes his breath weapon on them, that's ok. more living saurus.

the scarvet I listed has a re-rollable 1+ Armor save, movement 7. usually allows no armor saves, stops regeneration and wounds T3 on a 2+.

how would you use your priest? I just don't think that he would be effective and he's aso very vulnerabe. a SV would give you a more resilient general that can also semi-answer your greatest threat, the hydra.

RunepriestRidcully
01-08-2010, 09:14
Lore of Heavens now has some useful boosting spells, the signiture spell for one could be handy, making a target unit shoot with an aditional -1 modifier that also applies when in combat as well, and the damaging attacks tend to strike with strength 6, so could help with the hydra

RunepriestRidcully
01-08-2010, 11:27
I tink I will drop the Skink Priest and a Terradon and take a scar vet with the Gamblers armour, Burning blade of chotec, shield and the potion of +3 I, that is 133pts, I have 12pts left, stalker for the chameleons and brave for the skirmishers perhaps?

WarmbloodedLizard
01-08-2010, 13:08
I tink I will drop the Skink Priest and a Terradon and take a scar vet with the Gamblers armour, Burning blade of chotec, shield and the potion of +3 I, that is 133pts, I have 12pts left, stalker for the chameleons and brave for the skirmishers perhaps?

the problem with the priest is, that you cannot protect him well enough and miscasts. a dead general (lots of points) can turn the tide in such small games.

12 points always means +1 saurus.

(I'd still go with the re-rollable 1+ save SV, though, as he opens up some nice psychological tactic options.)

beridon
02-08-2010, 10:36
make it a 800 pt match DUHHHH with the new restrictions this only makes sense.

On topic:

Take a hero preferably lord. give him dawn stone and a high as possible save. give great weapon. see him solo hydra like theres no tomorrow.(done myself twice. in 2 matches versus DE) hydra cant hande str7. and having a rerolable 3+ save makes survining easy(str 5 hydra vs 1+ save) Hell if somehow you find points for a ward save do it. but i dont think you can a t 800 points.

If you still have a hero slot after this. take a priest. 115 pts. (lvl 2 plus tepok for extra spell) works wonders for me. even at 800 pts you can cast comet of cassandora and what not. 2d6 PD ftw!

18 warriors Full command. works awesome. HW+SHIELDS! spears got nerved again this edition >< for lizards at least. put them 6 wide. = more attacks than 20 at 5 wide. means more killy killy.

I recommend not using salamanders. even tho their cool. they excel in larger battles burning huge units. you wont find many big units at 800 pts.

Steg recommended, just steer him clear of hydra.

WarmbloodedLizard
02-08-2010, 12:02
make it a 800 pt match DUHHHH with the new restrictions this only makes sense.

On topic:

Take a hero preferably lord. give him dawn stone and a high as possible save. give great weapon. see him solo hydra like theres no tomorrow.(done myself twice. in 2 matches versus DE) hydra cant hande str7. and having a rerolable 3+ save makes survining easy(str 5 hydra vs 1+ save) Hell if somehow you find points for a ward save do it. but i dont think you can a t 800 points.

If you still have a hero slot after this. take a priest. 115 pts. (lvl 2 plus tepok for extra spell) works wonders for me. even at 800 pts you can cast comet of cassandora and what not. 2d6 PD ftw!

18 warriors Full command. works awesome. HW+SHIELDS! spears got nerved again this edition >< for lizards at least. put them 6 wide. = more attacks than 20 at 5 wide. means more killy killy.

I recommend not using salamanders. even tho their cool. they excel in larger battles burning huge units. you wont find many big units at 800 pts.

Steg recommended, just steer him clear of hydra.

that's more of less what I'd do in a 1000 pts game :D

but with 750pts, the oldblood is not really an option. but the SV is almost as tough (1 wound less) and can harm the hydra just as well.

I agree with the salamanders to a certain degree. I wouldn't field two but always field one. It will be a priority target but you only need to get one shot off to make an elf-block ineffective. it will usually even survive a crossbow salvo. and really everything that takes away crossbow fire from your saurus is great.

RunepriestRidcully
02-08-2010, 15:00
Is a 3 man Terradon unit okay in 750, or would taking a load of Skink Skirmishers be better?