PDA

View Full Version : Galatic center and beyond

ashendant
31-07-2010, 19:39
According to this map
http://www.joachim-adomeit.de/wh40k/spacemap/map.html (http://www.joachim-adomeit.de/wh40k/spacemap/map.html)
There are no imperial planets in the galactic center, and behind it(coming from terra angle)is pretty much out of imperium limits mainly the Ghoul Stars, Eastern Fringe and the Centaurus Arm or are either xeno or pirate worlds, for a nation that conquered the galaxy this is pretty strange.

Are there any particular reason why the imperium doesn't have any thing after the galatic center or am i looking to a outdated map

Drakcore Bloodtear
31-07-2010, 19:43
It may be because the centre of a Galaxy is far to dagerous too even think about being of any significance to the Imperium

Lupe
31-07-2010, 19:48
The density of stars there is probably far too great for life to thrive there.

And if that isn't the case, then it's certainly far too great for an overstretched colossus such as the Imperium to mount a successful offensive into...

TheOverlord
31-07-2010, 19:57
Isn't the centre of the galaxy nothing but blackholes and super novas?

ashendant
31-07-2010, 20:19

As far as i know there's only one supermassive blackhole, called Sagittarius A* which is the size of the space between mercury and the sun

de Selby
31-07-2010, 20:30
There's one big black hole in the centre of our galaxy, but whether it's there in GW's galaxy I wouldn't like to guess.

If it's supposed to be physically similar to to the real world then the occasional black hole (there will be others that aren't as obvious as the supermassive one in the middle) wouldn't be such a problem but the radiation from a very high density of bright stars might be.

ashendant
31-07-2010, 20:36
There's one big black hole in the centre of our galaxy, but whether it's there in GW's galaxy I wouldn't like to guess.

If it's supposed to be physically similar to to the real world then the occasional black hole (there will be others that aren't as obvious as the supermassive one in the middle) wouldn't be such a problem but the radiation from a very high density of bright stars might be.

Well the imperium was pretty advanced when they had the ability to terraform planets, so i think they were already prepared to that point back then, there are lots of dust clouds in the galatic center trough.

But then why doesn't the arms behind(from terra) show any imperial planet, does the galatic center makes a "shadow" the imperium can't pass?

AndrewGPaul
31-07-2010, 21:56
That map is flat-out wrong. Look at the map on pages 116-117 of the 40K rulebook. Earth and Catachan are on entirely different spiral arms, for a start. Worlds directly on the other side of the core from Earth include Kar Duniash - Battlefleet Ultima's HQ - Corinthe and Hexos.

ashendant
31-07-2010, 22:08
That map is flat-out wrong. Look at the map on pages 116-117 of the 40K rulebook. Earth and Catachan are on entirely different spiral arms, for a start. Worlds directly on the other side of the core from Earth include Kar Duniash - Battlefleet Ultima's HQ - Corinthe and Hexos.
Can you show me a more exact map?

Clockwork-Knight
31-07-2010, 22:53
The Imperium's terraforming ability can only consist of shipping several million tons of water and greenstuff to a planet barely inhabitable over several centuries so that it can sustain a population of a few millions.
That's how it was done in the Dark/Golden Age of Technology, which was superior to the methods of the humans in the Age of the Imperium, and how the Imperium will do it.

Most worlds in the galactic centre aren't hospitable enough even if you ship a few billion tons of water from elsewhere. All there is going to be is some kind of underground mining stations that are hellholes for those who live there.

Hellebore
31-07-2010, 23:38
Because the galaxy of 40k was created with the Squats at the centre, so by the time they decided to drop them they'd already established all their important planets outside the core.

Which makes putting the squats back in quite easy.

Hellebore

The Galactic centre should be uninhabitable, much of the are has large, young multi star systems, which are less than optimal for life.

And is that map correct? Why does Ultima cover vast expanses of empty space while Obscurus ends at the Cygnus arm? And what do those dotted lines mean?

Hrw-Amen
01-08-2010, 09:50
Although the super massive black hole at the center of the galaxy is 'super massive' it is not actually that big. However the stars in that region are all moving quite rapidly, many are quite young and volotile, members of multi star systems and very densely (For stars.) packed together, not to mention the large amounts of radiation. So apart from the odd outpost I would not expect the Imperium to have much there as it is probably just not worth the effort.

Whilst on the subject, we know that stars have a presence in the warp, anyone know what kind of presence a super massive black hole has? I mean most black holes are made from collapsed stars so I guess would have a similiar effect in the warp, but has anything been written about the 'monster' at the centre of the galaxy in the warp?

Tactical Retreat!
01-08-2010, 09:55

And the Collector base, which you can only get to by going through the Omega 4 relay...

;)

AndrewGPaul
01-08-2010, 10:24
Can you show me a more exact map?

I already told you exactly where to find such a map. Re-read my post.

ashendant
01-08-2010, 11:35
I already told you exactly where to find such a map. Re-read my post.

I tried that map was the worst map i saw in my entire life it had systems it had big pictures of system over it that made it barely visible

Drakcore Bloodtear
01-08-2010, 13:18
Whilst on the subject, we know that stars have a presence in the warp, anyone know what kind of presence a super massive black hole has? I mean most black holes are made from collapsed stars so I guess would have a similiar effect in the warp, but has anything been written about the 'monster' at the centre of the galaxy in the warp?

I was thinking the same thing

As in 40K, you don't hear much about Black holes and the like (AFAIK)

Mannimarco
01-08-2010, 13:33
And the Collector base, which you can only get to by going through the Omega 4 relay...

;)

Beat me to it!

sombody write a crossover! Collectors! Geth! Reapers!

Shas'o Gavner'Elan
01-08-2010, 13:34
Imperium-wise I think it's a pretty inaccurate map, but the part detailing the Tau Empire is brilliant, and much more up-to-date than the one in the Tau Codex. I'm glad that GW is updating the Empire regularly and not just leaving it until the next Codex.
As for the galactic centre, well, it is meant to be OUR galaxy, so yes, it would be too dangerous to colonise.
I like the idea of Squats hiding there though... :D

AndrewGPaul
01-08-2010, 20:33
I tried that map was the worst map i saw in my entire life it had systems it had big pictures of system over it that made it barely visible

I don't understand what you mean. The names of the planets are clearly labelled, with an arrowhead showing where the planet is. All the 'zoomed-in' boxes are off at the edges out the way. It's also a flat projection, unlike the distorted isometric view of the one you linked to.

YMMV, I suppose. I find the map on the rulebook much clearer than the one you posted online.

TrooperTino
01-08-2010, 20:57
To me the map in the rulebooks leave very much in the open, which is in itself a good thing. If everyone knows exactly where "every" system has to be, it makes building a campaign or a story only harder... leave most places in the open with only hints where they are. We don't need an exact starmap in a universe where even the adeptus terra is supposed to not know all their systems and locations.

That said I think the online map looks much prettier ;)

Paul Nexus
01-08-2010, 22:04
I always figured that blackholes were unstable gaps between the materium and the warp, in the 40k universe. As such Eldar D-weapons open mini black holes, etc.

Chem-Dog
01-08-2010, 23:21
I imagine the Imperium's maps to be pretty innacurate, full of sections that are marked "heare be dragones".

Any race that has mastered even the rudiments of warp travel will know how to avoid the big sucky holes in the universe, it's got to be fairly similar to not driving into a star....

ashendant
01-08-2010, 23:58
I wish somebody could point me where the planets from dawn of war 2 where but i guess there's no specified information for those

Doesn't anybody know of a more clearer map?

Hellebore
02-08-2010, 00:31
http://www.scholaprogenium.com/40kmap.jpg

Is another map. However it doesn't have any outlines for the galaxy, so you have to be careful when reading it. Terra is in the 'western' spiral arm.

Hellebore

ashendant
02-08-2010, 00:38
http://www.scholaprogenium.com/40kmap.jpg

Is another map. However it doesn't have any outlines for the galaxy, so you have to be careful when reading it. Terra is in the 'western' spiral arm.

Hellebore

That one is pretty good but it feels like a featureless map of dots :eyebrows:

Hellebore
02-08-2010, 00:56
That one is pretty good but it feels like a featureless map of dots :eyebrows:

You know your demand for a perfect map is getting just a little annoying. You've now been provided by other posters, with the locations of pretty much the only maps of the 40k galaxy. How about you go find your own or make one rather than getting annoyed that other people haven't found the one you want?

It's not hard. Here I'll hold your hand: http://www.google.com.au/images?hl=en&q=40k%20map&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&biw=1024&bih=653

Hellebore

ashendant
02-08-2010, 01:01
You know your demand for a perfect map is getting just a little annoying. You've now been provided by other posters, with the locations of pretty much the only maps of the 40k galaxy. How about you go find your own or make one rather than getting annoyed that other people haven't found the one you want?

It's not hard. Here I'll hold your hand: http://www.google.com.au/images?hl=en&q=40k%20map&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&biw=1024&bih=653

Hellebore

yes.. i know so sorry, i did try to look for maps on google but they are either wrong or not very clear

khirsath
02-08-2010, 07:48
I like the idea that gravity wells have some connection between the material and the warp for more reasons than would be appropriate to discuss in this thread. For argument sake, lets say the SMBH and the high stellar density in the core has some effect. In this case it wouldn't be out of the way to assume there is some interference with the Emperor's Light House. Thus creating a spot around the core, and a possible 'shadow' behind it, where the Imperium cannot maneuver effectively. Thus the Imperium wouldn't have too many planets or forces in the depths of this region.

Leaves lots of space (no pun intended) for xenos empires and potential non-Imperium humans.

TrooperTino
02-08-2010, 08:05
here are some I saved on my harddrive.... without the 3 allready linked here. maybe it helps.

I like maps ;)

TrooperTino
02-08-2010, 08:07
and one more I couldn't add to the post above...

AndrewGPaul
02-08-2010, 08:35
That last one is basically the map from 2nd edition (the Imperial Guard, Chaos, Tyranid and Sisters of Battle codices, and the Gorkamorka Uvver Book, for those reading along at home). For added fun, see how it's incompatible with the map from the current rulebook - the current map has a different shape to the Galaxy, with Formund on a 'branching' spiral arm which doesn't appear on that map above.

I'm also fairly sure that none of those maps are actually the same shape as the acual Milky Way, and Earth's not in the right place. :)

Here's a pic of the map from the rulebook, for completeness. It's in Italian, but most of the names are unchanged: http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/mediawiki/images/7/70/Galaxy_black_reach.jpg

TheDireAvenger
02-08-2010, 08:53
What exactly are the Ghoul Stars?

Are they filled with zombies or something? lol

Also I'm wondering why there aren't any imperial worlds in the Eastern Fringe and the Centaurus Arm. Does any map depict where the interex is? They are supposed to occupy a sizable part of space.

TrooperTino
02-08-2010, 10:51
That last one is basically the map from 2nd edition (the Imperial Guard, Chaos, Tyranid and Sisters of Battle codices, and the Gorkamorka Uvver Book, for those reading along at home). For added fun, see how it's incompatible with the map from the current rulebook - the current map has a different shape to the Galaxy, with Formund on a 'branching' spiral arm which doesn't appear on that map above.

I'm also fairly sure that none of those maps are actually the same shape as the acual Milky Way, and Earth's not in the right place. :)

Here's a pic of the map from the rulebook, for completeness. It's in Italian, but most of the names are unchanged: http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/mediawiki/images/7/70/Galaxy_black_reach.jpg

Thank you very much! One map more to add to my chaotic folder of w40kfluff ;)

To my shame I have to admit I never compared any of them. I see it this way: In the 40k universe there is not one 100% accurate map of the galaxy (maybe in necron hands). Accuracy ends at sector level and even there it's not a given. Like the same legend told by different sources ends in contradicting Fluff, Maps from, for example the Admech and an astartes chapter, differ, and neither of them has the claim to be the one which is "real". That way we can have our coulorfull maps and still there is possibility of change if needed.

Edit: Earth is where it wants to be. Its holy terra after all!!! ;)

El_Machinae
02-08-2010, 14:11
To answer the OP, I'd always thought that the Imperium was limited in its functional size due to the Astronomicon. It wasn't possible to properly rule too-distant worlds.

Hellebore
02-08-2010, 14:13
Well, the core is closer to earth than Macragge is...

As I said in my first post, the reason is entirely due to the squats filling that space up until 1998 when 3rd ed came out. By that stage every major guard, forge, and marine world existed in the galaxy, built around the core due to it being full of squats.

So there really wasn't anything to put there when they decided to pull the squats from the background. The maps in the 2nd ed nid and guard codicies show the squat homeworlds taking up a rather large chunk of the core. It's about 100x the size of the tau empire.

Hellebore

Idaan
02-08-2010, 16:57

Also I'm wondering why there aren't any imperial worlds in the Eastern Fringe and the Centaurus Arm. Does any map depict where the interex is? They are supposed to occupy a sizable part of space.

On the Interex, "Sabbat Worlds Crusade" states that Imperial scientists discovered that the Kinebrach (Interex client race) inhabited the Fortress Worlds (Death Star-esque space stations) up to M31, which would put them near the Sabbat Worlds.

de Selby
02-08-2010, 18:36
I'm interested in the idea that stars (and black holes?) have a warp presence, because I thought that only sentient beings did. Where is that stated and is it further explained?

As an aside, I was just looking at the map in the SM codex and realised that the Rainbow Warriors homeworld is marked (records deleted) :D

TrooperTino
02-08-2010, 20:13
IIRC black holes are visible to navigators because every gravitational field like systems or planets are visible to them in the warp... no idea if they have to fly around them

Edit: now that I think about it I have no idea where I got that from... could have been fanfic

Gorthor21
02-08-2010, 20:15

i would assume that the interex would be near the moon of davin

Plebian
03-08-2010, 04:13
So where is this map from?

Hellebore
03-08-2010, 04:45
It's a fan made map made by one Joachim Adomeit (or at least someone using it as a pen name).

http://www.joachim-adomeit.de/wh40k/spacemap/map.html

There are inaccuracies in it. The most striking to me is the location of the Squat homeworlds (which I believe the designer specifically said was deliberate to allow Leviathan access).

Hellebore

exsanguis
19-08-2010, 09:05
How do the Gates of Varl fit into all this? Are they a kind of secret webway into the galactic core where there's perhaps a remnant of the Eldar civilization hiding away?

Given the age of the stars there, might it not be reasonably assumed that it would be a very mineral rich era? Plenty of plasma/promethium whatever as the matter there hasn't cooled enough to become heavier elements like iron etc?

This is all just speculation btw. My physics and cosmology is ordinary to say the least so if I'm wrong please disregard me :P

AndrewGPaul
19-08-2010, 09:30
How do the Gates of Varl fit into all this? Are they a kind of secret webway into the galactic core where there's perhaps a remnant of the Eldar civilization hiding away?

They can be if you want. All we know about them so far is that they're guarded by the Imperial Guard, and that they've got something to do with the C'Tan.

Ikkaan
19-08-2010, 09:35
To end all speculation: The map was done by myself (you can find it via the link in my sig, theres a dynamic version with mouseover-labels). Itīs a rather old project which i didnīt have time to pursue further, so there are certain points that may not be acceptable to everyone. I encourage anyone that thinks he can do better to try.

Something slumbering inside me since the last two years is the idea of a dynamic, social driven map. Something that would take input from a list of users and displaying an averaged position of what the contributors think "is right". Based on PHP, a mysql database and obviously a lot of time - which i currently do not have since my work is keeping me from indulging further in my hobbies.

But itīs kinda nice to see that my map is still all over the internets ;-)

ashendant
19-08-2010, 23:46
To end all speculation: The map was done by myself (you can find it via the link in my sig, theres a dynamic version with mouseover-labels). Itīs a rather old project which i didnīt have time to pursue further, so there are certain points that may not be acceptable to everyone. I encourage anyone that thinks he can do better to try.

Something slumbering inside me since the last two years is the idea of a dynamic, social driven map. Something that would take input from a list of users and displaying an averaged position of what the contributors think "is right". Based on PHP, a mysql database and obviously a lot of time - which i currently do not have since my work is keeping me from indulging further in my hobbies.

But itīs kinda nice to see that my map is still all over the internets ;-)
Puh and it is a good map too