PDA

View Full Version : Does a Dwarf Anvil of Dooms Rune of Oath and Honour give you random charge distances?

t-crane123
01-08-2010, 10:18
This Rune states that a unit may make a normal move which can be a march or Charge. So could this mean that when you strike the rune you can charge 3+2d6?

HeroFox
01-08-2010, 17:58
Why wouldn't it?

Atanatos
01-08-2010, 18:10
Its not addressed by the FAQ, and thus Id go for a normal charge. After all, the enemy gets normal charge reaction and stuff.

t-crane123
01-08-2010, 19:47
that is hilarious lol means my hammerers can charge 22 inches on average turn 1 I can't wait to see peoples faces lol

Macmiel
01-08-2010, 19:51
Take Anvil
Add Strollaz Rune on BSB
And You can even charge at 27 inches in first round:
6 from Strollaz
6 from Normal Move
2D6+3 from Anvil in Shooting Phase.

t-crane123
01-08-2010, 20:05
Thanks but am way ahead of you :). But on average you will charge 22 inches.

nas
03-08-2010, 23:14
Better start painting yer Dwarfs to look like Usain Bolt then!

Ceodoc
24-06-2012, 10:42
Hi
Can a unit that has failed a charge then try a charge again using this rune?
Further can a character of the failed charge unit, use the rune to charge out of the unit, thereby having 2charges?
Sorry to hijack thread just thought it best to keep all oath rune questions in one place.
Ta
Doc

Montegue
24-06-2012, 12:29
Hi
Further can a character of the failed charge unit, use the rune to charge out of the unit, thereby having 2charges?
Sorry to hijack thread just thought it best to keep all oath rune questions in one place.
Ta
Doc

1) No.

2) No.

Macmiel - It might be hilarious to charge way out ahead in turn one, but you're likely to just leave your butt hanging in the wind unsupported. I find Oath and Honor to be more useful in the later game, after you have used Wrath and Ruin to slow enemy units down so you can pound them with artillery. In the late game, you can secure some solid combo charges into their flanks, or surprise charges against their units that they don't expect. Strollaz will keep any armor runes off your BSB, which means you'll want him to avoid combat as much as possible.

Ceodoc
24-06-2012, 23:44
Hi
Ta
Doc

1) No.

2) No.

Can you rulebook reference that for me please?
Ta
Doc

Lord Solar Plexus
25-06-2012, 05:06
There are no direct rulebook references, as no unit charges twice. Everyone only has one single charge declaration.

Depending on the wording of the rune entry, I'd say your Dwarfs are an exception.

Ceodoc
25-06-2012, 16:04
Agreed Plex.
I find nothing contrary in the army book to stop the second charge, further (without my BRB in front of me) I believe a character can charge out of a unit in the charge phase, so no reason why it cannot in this special rune charge.

For the record I am not an ankle biter, I play against the stunted lil sheetz, but fair is fair, I have to concede this to my playing partner unless someone else has a arguement otherwise.
For an army with no "magic" and limited movement, the diminutive gits pack some punch.
Wish my Tomb Kings "magic" was as strong!

Doc

Montegue
28-06-2012, 20:11
Greetings -

Yeah, looks like I was completely wrong. I thought for sure there was something in the errata about that.

Anywho, it's probably a bad idea to use it in that fashion. If you want to make sure you get a long charge in, just march 6 and then use the rune. That way, you make sure that a bad charge roll doesn't move you up only an inch or two.

Malorian
28-06-2012, 20:29
When my miners come on a couple inches from a rear or flank I'm not too worried about random charge distances ;)

metawarhammer
28-06-2012, 21:03
I have made really good use of this rune in a list of mine. The basic idea is to take rangers and a good spread of small units that can span the whole width of the field and out maneuver the enemy with help form the anvil. Here's a link to the list on my blog:

http://metawarhammer.wordpress.com/2012/06/28/anvil-of-doom-multiple-small-units/

I also happened to have posted it on Bugman's brewery before seeing this post here, join that thread here:

http://www.bugmansbrewery.com/topic/39028-mobile-dwarfs/

GrandmasterWang
04-07-2012, 06:07
I think the dwarf usain bolt melee army is full of win. Strollaz, anvil and rangers.

With rangers exactly 12 from bsb, you can march 6 meaning you are 18 away from your line before the roll off!! Then if u get the first turn you can move into range and shoot or march and charge. This means end of turn 1 your rangers can be minimum 27 from your line which is crazy. I have sniper charged a backline warmachine with this ploy. Maximum threat range of 39 inches. My dwarfs love 8th edition!