PDA

View Full Version : Forge World Greater Deamons in games of Warhammer Fantasy Battles

Adeptus Mechanicus
01-08-2010, 11:28
I have searched the forums and tried my google-fu (which is rather lackluster) and tried to find an answer to the question concerning the sheer size of the forgeworld bad boys from the warp. Are they too big for games of Warhammer, do they fit the 50x50 base a greater deamon is supposed to be mounted upon (right?)? Anyone using one? Please share, would be a shame to blast away that much money on a fancy model I can't even use.

Xehmae
01-08-2010, 14:10
4I have the bloodthirster for my apocalypse game in 40K and he is really too big for a 50x50 base, his base is 100x100. I saw the nurgle of my friend, he is smaller but still too big for 50x50 base. I'm sure the others are around the same size as bloodthirster.

AlphariusOmegon20
01-08-2010, 15:13
4I have the bloodthirster for my apocalypse game in 40K and he is really too big for a 50x50 base, his base is 100x100. I saw the nurgle of my friend, he is smaller but still too big for 50x50 base. I'm sure the others are around the same size as bloodthirster.

Not the GUO, and certainly not the KoS. Both fit on chariot bases.

MajorWesJanson
01-08-2010, 15:27
The FW Daemons are big. Bigger in person. Online you don't really see the scale, and wonder why they are so expensive. then you see them up close and understand a lot better :D

KoS is on a Chariot base, Bloodthirster and LoC are on 100 mm squares.
Some scale pics:

SilentCivilian
01-08-2010, 15:34
They are far from unusable. If anything you are putting yourself at a disadvantage as with the larger base more models can attack you back.

I cant see anyone having a problem with you using one of them as they are fantastic models and thats what this game boils down too. Nice models on a table being pushed around. Hell if i had a choice of facing the regular greater demons or the forge world ones i would take forge world every time. :D

Witchblade
01-08-2010, 19:21
Assuming you're not intentionally attempting to abuse certain rules by using bigger bases, only a real jerk would refuse to play you for using the gorgeous FW greater daemons.

Casshole
01-08-2010, 20:07
Yes, its only really detrimental to you so i cant imagine anyone caring

xxRavenxx
01-08-2010, 20:09
The GUO at least, is at a hideous disadvantage in game, sadly.

Too tall to ever hide from shooting or magic, and his base will be 150 wide if he's going to sit comfortably on it. (He sits nicely on a valk base from 40k, or a large blast template).

Pretty much a full horde, or two units can charge his front at once and get full attacks. Thats not a super thing to have happen to the poor bugger.

I dont know what the other GDs are like for size though.

If you dont mind the fact that this stuff will happen to you, then go for it. The models are very nice.

AngelofSorrow
01-08-2010, 20:43
My keeper fits beautifully on a 50 x 50 along with two slave girls

R-Love
02-08-2010, 03:25
As has been said, there's nothing stopping you from using the model, even on the larger base. And if someone refuses to play you because you are using a much nicer, more version of the model and disadvantaging yourself buy doing so just because of the base size, you don't want to play that person, because, he's a dick :p

If it does bother you though, there's a picture floating around here somewhere of someone who found a way around it: they used the FW GUO on a scenic base (may have been a large round template), with a 50mm base directly in front of it, bearing three nurglings, one with a sign reading "Here's Papa!" You could likely think of something similar for the other three if you wished.