PDA

View Full Version : 2k VC and a pie recipe!

Gokamok
01-08-2010, 13:43
So, this is my attempt at a somewhat competitive VC army. I'll try to explain the ideas and reasoning for the different choices as we go:

Vampire Lord
-Magic lvl 3
-Red Fury, Forbidden Lore (Vampires), Summon Creatures of the Night
-Crown of the Damned, Helm of Commandment, Sword of Might, Cadaverous Cuirass.
450 points
Pretty much an allround choice. He should be reasonably survivable with 4+ ward and immunity to KB/poison, and he can put out a lot of hurt with Red Fury and S6. In his support role, he'll be throwing WS7 around (assuming he's not in combat), and casting Vanhel's all over the place for some ASF + Reroll to hit goodness. I decided to take ScotN in order to better boost the Fell Bats up to size, or at least have the threat of doing so.

Wight King BSB
-Great Weapon
-Flayed Hauberk, Cursed Book
155 points
I think this guy is awesome; T5 along with a 2+ save should be plenty to keep him alive, and if my opponent tries to direct attacks against him, the Cursed Book will help limit the amount of wounds caused even further. I really love the Cursed Book for its ability to lower the enemy's combat resolution at a crucial point, which often leads to the opponent breaking. Oh, and he has 3 attacks with S6 and Killing Blow, nothing to scoff at.

Necromancer (Invocation of Nehek)
-Dispel Scroll
80 points
He has 2 purposes: 1) Provide me with a Dispel Scroll. 2) Cast IoN on 1 dice to replenish units until he fails, where my Lord takes over with some more serious spellcasting.

30 Skeletons (Necormancer and Lord likely here)
-Full Command
-Banner of Hellfire
270 points
The unit forms up 5-wide, in order to (hopefully) prevent my opponent from being Steadfast, while my Lord dishes out enough pain to win combat. Banner of Hellfire is there in case of regenerating targets, though it might prove a liability against characters with the new funky 2+ ward against flaming attacks.

28 Ghouls
-Ghast
232 points
Ghouls are still awesome in 8th and pack enough punch to do reasonably well without the support of a character. I plan on running them 7-wide for maximum attacks, but they might go deep instead if the situation demands it.

20 Grave Guard (BSB here)
-Full Command
-Great Weapons
-Banner of the Barrows
335 points
Meet the "15 S6 attacks hitting on 2+ with re-rolls and Killing Blow Train of Doom"(tm). Grave Guards are the new black, and when supported by Vanhel's and the Helm of Commandment, they provide a serious threat to any unit in the game. They will of course be deployed 7-wide for maximum attacks.

5 Fell Bats
100 points
Always a favorite, the Bats will either be used to screen my infantry against shooting or fly around to hunt war machines or weak support units. If I can manage to get them up to around 10 models, they're actually decent at holding things up as well.

Varghulf
175 points
Some say the Varghulf got better in 8th, some say it got worse. I personally think that it fulfills a different role now than in 7th, where I mainly used it against missile troops, skirmishers and fast cavalry, but now it provides a proper threat against ranked units due to the extra damage output from Thunderstomp. It won't do much good against elite infantry, but anything with S3/4 and only 1 attack will have a hard time against it. Mr. Varghie also likes munching enemy wizards. A lot.

Black Coach
200 points
A very situational choice in 7th, the Black Coach seems like a very strong choice in 8th; the new magic system allows it to power up much faster, and average rolls will see it go Ethereal after 2 turns. The Coach won't break anything but support units on its own, but it's an amazing tool for supporting my infantry blocks or holding up stuff. T6, 3+ save and 4+ Ward is pretty hard to kill, and coupled with Ethereal it can be a thorn in the side of most opponents.

1997 points

So, the main battle plan is just to try and keep the infantry line together and go bash some heads, while the Varghulf, Bats and Coach provide support for the infantry or take care of the opponents support units.

Magicwise, I'll focus on whittling down enemy units with Gaze, Curse or Wind of Undeath, depending on how much I need to focus on keeping my units up to size, of course.
Once combat begins, my main focus will be to cast Vanhel's in order to actually have a shot at winning combats. I'll prioritize Vanhel's on my Lords unit if they're in combat, in order to hopefully free up the Helm of Commandment to use on another unit.

I would really have liked to have more points to spend on support units, but with so many points forced into the Ghouls, Skeletons, General and BSB, I really struggle to find room for much else.
I've comtemplated ditching the Necromancer and Banner of Hellfire, which could free up points for an extra GG and 2x5 Dire Wolves, or perhaps I could fiddle around with some stuff to get a Corpse Cart, Bat Swarm or Small Ghoul unit into the list, but I'm not sure if I really like the thought of not having a Dispel Scroll.

Thoughts, Comments, etc. will be highly appreciated :)

Gokamok
01-08-2010, 14:00
And as promised, a pie recipe:

Awesome Pineapple Pie:

150 grams of butter
3 deciliters flour
1 dl sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder

Mix everything and roll the dough into a sausage shape, wrap in plastic foil and leave in the fridge for an hour. Cut into 3-4 milimeter slices and spread evenly on the pie dish (works best for 24-28 shapes), then press the slices together so no gaps show between them.

Filling:

2 dl Creme Fraiche (preferably 38%, since everything else is inferior)
2 teaspoons vanilla sugar
1 egg (preferably free-range or organic)
1 can of pineapple, approximately 250 grams drained weight
a dl sugar
Mash the pineapple with a fork, until you have drained every single bit of liquid out of it. It's important to get all the juices out, otherwise the pie will get too soft and fall apart.

Mix everything, pour into the dish and bake at 180 degrees (celsius) for approximately 25 minutes, depending on your oven. You'll want the filling to still be slightly soft but not wet.

Serve with Citrus Fraiche (creme fraiche with a bit of orange and lemon peel) or whatever else you can think of.

Enjoy!

Ps.
Don't forget to comment on the army as well!

Ovassilias
01-08-2010, 14:34
cheers for the recipe, gonna try it sometime :p

The list looks very good and all around, your choises are solid and it looks like u know why u have everything in there. Thumbs up.

Only thing....remove summon creatures. Fell Bats are now war beasts which means u only raise one wound per IoN cast on them....which sucks basically and wont work.
Also, bear in mind that now they need a vampire within 6" in order to march (aka "fly" 20", meaning when they move the first turn they are ok, after that they would go 10" all the time....).

So remove summon creatures and give your necro vanhels to have a second caster as a backup to spread dances around.

Gokamok
01-08-2010, 18:52
Damn, hadn't noticed the change regarding the Fell Bats, no ScotN then, but I guess that raising d6 wounds on them was a tad broken anyway.

It's probably a good idea to take Vanhel's on the Necromancer. I'm hoping to keep most of the units close together, but it'll add some nice flexibility with another source of Vanhel's.

As for "marching" with the Bats, I guess I could try to keep the Varghulf within 6" of them if I deploy them away from the main battle line, but it's definitely a thing to keep in mind.

Gokamok
05-08-2010, 11:39
Anyone tried the pie yet?

(Yes, I know it's just a shameless bump, but the pie IS good;))