PDA

View Full Version : 4K High Elves (Star Dragon and Archmage)

GenerationTerrorist
01-08-2010, 22:03
Hi guys.
I'd appreciate a bit of advice/criticism on a 4K High Elf list for a couple of upcoming "mega battles" with a few friends over the next few weekends.

I'm sticking with my Caledor theme, purely for fluff reasons. So some of the magic items may not be the most competitive choices in that respect.

The opposing 4K armies I will be up against will be Empire (with 4 Cannons, 2 Rocket Batteries, 2 Steam Tanks and a War Altar), Vampire Counts and mono-Slaanesh Daemons. The Empire army is the one I am most worried about!

Here goes:

Prince
Star Dragon, Great Weapon, Dragon Armour, Shield
Vambraces of Defence, Crown of Command

Archmage
Level 4 (Lore of Life)
Guardian Phoenix, Tricksters Pendant, Folariaths Robe

Noble
Battle Standard Bearer
Great Weapon, Dragon Armour, Shield
Talisman of Preservation, Ironcurse Icon

Noble
Barded Elven Steed, Dragon Armour, Shield
Star Lance, Gem of Courage

Mage
Level 2 (High Magic)
Annulian Crystal

Mage
Level 2 (Lore of Fire)
Barded Elven Steed
Gem of Sunfire

30 Spearmen
Standard Bearer and Musician

30 Spearmen

19 Archers (Annulian Mage here)
Banner of the Flame

12 Caledorian Dragon Guard (Sea Guard)

12 Caledorian Dragon Guard (Sea Guard)

26 Phoenix Guard (Archmage and BSB here)
Champion, Standard Bearer and Musician
Helm of Fortune, Banner of Arcane Protection

12 Dragon Princes of Caledor (Star Lance Noble and Fire Mage here)
Standard of Balance

Repeater Bolt Thrower
Repeater Bolt Thrower

Yeah, so the list is not exactly flexible! My ideal setup would be to have the Phoenix Guard (7*4) slap bang in the middle of my line, with the large blocks of Spearmen (6*5) either side and the Seaguard (6*2) flanking the Spearmen, slightly behind (sort of like this ( _---_) to privde auxiliary support. The Archers and Bolt Thrower will occupy the centre-rear of my line whilst the other units advance. Dragon Princes on one extreme flank and the Star Dragon Prince on the opposite flank - Generally hoping for both of these to hit hard and fast, break a unit in the turn they charge and then start to act as a pincer/hammer whilst the Phoenix and Spears in the middle hold firm as possible.

I think the magic is good for both Offensive and Defensive apsects, the Prince will be able to handle large blocks of weaker troops on his own and will be Stubborn if he somehow loses against things with loads of ranks, etc. Though I am tempted to swap the Crown for the Enchanted Shield and Amulet of Light.

I've never played a 4K level game before, so am quite worried that I will be massively outnumbered by the armies I will be facing. I am, however, hoping that my Asur won't let me down or get shot to pieces before the end of turns 1 and 2. I am confident that my magic and close combat will be better than the opponents, so I just have to hope for a slice of luck here and there!

Thanks for reading, and please feel free to comment or make suggestions :-)

TheKingInYellow
01-08-2010, 22:23
The star lance isn't worth the points since you keep +2 to S mounted now. Take the points and get him a different magic weapon. White Sword would be my choice!

With the Steam Tanks a guarantee, I'd consider taking a Lore that can hurt it. Life rocks with Elves, but two tanks is going to crush you.

thesheriff
02-08-2010, 10:03
In 4k games, you have more of an oppertunity to compose your list to whta your facing. This is because your aware that your opponent(s) will be using almost everything in there collection. The best way to deal with steam tanks is wth armour benefiting spells (Lore of metal) and charecteristics tests (dwellers below/pit of shades) which it automatically fails. To this end, i would take Lore of life on the archmage, and lore of shadow and metal on the lv.2's. I would drop the banner of arcane protection on the phoinix guard, and replace it with banner of sorcerey. This will give you the nessacary power dice to keep your 3 mages going.
And star lance is'nt worth it. I would try white sword instead for the killing blow it affords.

thesheriff

GenerationTerrorist
02-08-2010, 16:20
Thanks guys, I will have a tinker about and re-post a different setup on my characters.

Do my units look useful enough, or are there any big changes you'd suggest?

Thanks again,
GT