PDA

View Full Version : Suggestion for a Space Marine Rapid Reaction Armored Force List

Wolf Lord Balrog
01-08-2010, 23:47
Exactly what the title says, a specialized rapid reaction armored force. C:BA is the obvious list to use for this purpose, but the following restrictions should be observed for a 'pure' non-BA force:

The following units are not allowed:
Special Characters
Honor Guard
Sanguinary Guard
Sanguinary Priests
Death Company
Death Company Dreadnoughts
Stormraven Gunship

Additional Rules:
All units that can take a transport must take one.
Baal Predators are allowed, but the twin-linked Assault Cannon turret and Heavy Bolter sponsons are required equipment.

The version I'm using for my Space Wolves' Wolf Pack has the following additional prohibited units:
Scout Squads
Vanguard Veteran Squads
Scout Bike Squads
Devastator Squads

Just a thought for those that like tanks, but don't think their current Marine codex represents a fast-moving armored force very well.

Noserenda
02-08-2010, 02:15
This does seem a bit, well, self evident...

Charistoph
02-08-2010, 04:52
Don't Landspeeders have the Deep Strike ability, too? Something to think about when setting up for a rapid response unit.

Grand Master Raziel
02-08-2010, 05:08
Check out this thread (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=265912). At the beginning of the first post, there's my 1750pt army list, which was designed thematically to be a rapid reaction force, using Codex: Dark Angels. There are also these lists (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4785277&postcount=1), which are also thematically designed to be rapid strike forces. Using Sammael to have Ravenwing Squadrons as Troops choices is an obvious advantage if you're designing a rapid reaction force, and Sammael himself is no slouch. I prefer the jetbike variant, because it can do more than the Land Speeder version, and it's just cool. Granted, you can do a similar thing with Codex: Ultramarines and a bike-mounted Captain, but that HQ is nowhere near as cool as a hero riding a jetbike with an underslung plasma cannon!

As far as tanks go, I don't see any reason to exclude them from a rapid reaction force. They can keep up with transports as far as strategic mobility goes, and once you're in a tactical situation, they don't actually have to move much, so long as they can cover your other forces within their radius of influence. For the same reason, I don't see why Dev Squads couldn't be used, as long as you provide tracks for them.

I'm a little unclear as to why you'd disclude Honor Guard, Scouts, and Scout Bikes. All of them seem like naturals for a rapid reaction force. I can see the other idiosyncratic BA units, but Honor Guard are basically just a Command Squad with jump packs. I don't see why players would have to keep themselves from using that. As for Scouts and Scout Bikes, they seem like exactly the kind of lightweight, go-anywhere units you'd want to include in a rapid reaction force.

Wolf Lord Balrog
02-08-2010, 05:29
For the same reason, I don't see why Dev Squads couldn't be used, as long as you provide tracks for them.

I'm a little unclear as to why you'd disclude Honor Guard, Scouts, and Scout Bikes. All of them seem like naturals for a rapid reaction force. I can see the other idiosyncratic BA units, but Honor Guard are basically just a Command Squad with jump packs. I don't see why players would have to keep themselves from using that. As for Scouts and Scout Bikes, they seem like exactly the kind of lightweight, go-anywhere units you'd want to include in a rapid reaction force.

I only excluded Devs, Scouts, and Scout Bikes from the Space Wolf version because our codex doesn't have native versions of those units (as such), so I didn't think it would be fluffy to include them.

The Honor Guard I was leary about both in general and for SWs specifically. They have a Sanguinary Initiate with them, which includes some BA-specific rules. And Space Wolves don't have a cost-effective jump pack vets unit, so I didn't think it would be fluffy for them either.

That's just the calls I made, just my suggestions. People are of course free to play it however they want. :)

Garven Dreis
02-08-2010, 05:36
If your going to do a pure 'Non-BA' list with C:BA, remove the Baal Pred, because technically only the Blood Angels and their sucessors have it.

The fast vehicles, meh, whatever.

Wolf Lord Balrog
02-08-2010, 17:00
If your going to do a pure 'Non-BA' list with C:BA, remove the Baal Pred, because technically only the Blood Angels and their sucessors have it.

Mainly I wanted the Baal for the Space Wolves version, so I could use its rules, but represent it with my old Leman Russ Exterminator model. :D

Grand Master Raziel
02-08-2010, 17:22
Mainly I wanted the Baal for the Space Wolves version, so I could use its rules, but represent it with my old Leman Russ Exterminator model. :D

So, you're talking about mixing units from different dexes to come up with a thematic effect? :eek: Personally, I think I'd rather just let you use the rules for the Leman Russ Exterminator. You could say the thing is crewed by Blood Claws to explain why it's BS3.

Anyway, I think you're not viewing the idea of a rapid reaction force correctly for the 40K setting. In the 41 millenium, what constitutes a rapid reaction force is not how quickly they can cross ground on a planet, but how quickly they can get from system to system, planet to planet, and from orbit to groundside. By default, any SM force is a rapid reaction force as compared to the IG, but if you really want to push the theme, then you could consider a rapid reaction force any force that could fit in a strike cruiser and rapidly be conveyed planetside. That suggests to me drop pods, deep strike, and anything on a Rhino-chassis, because Thunderhawk Teleporters can carry up to two Rhino-chassis vehicles, but only one Land Raider. Personally, I also leave out Vindicators, because they don't feel like something that belongs in a fast interdiction force.