PDA

View Full Version : Steam Tank post update - Viable?

Gaz-A-Tron
02-08-2010, 00:35
Is the steam tank viable post-update? Now that it's not immune to magic we're in serious trouble if a death wizard shows up.

Does it go back on the shelf? Or will it be able to survive with enough long rifles / our own death mages / cannons to stop those pesky mages assassinating it via failed initiative tests.

I think there could be some merit in fielding core units as 10x handgunners w/ HLR & command. You can get 8 for around 750pts, which is a reasonable number of HLR wizard-assassination shots per turn.

Stumpy
02-08-2010, 01:35
Uh, no? Just play it as before.
People are going to be fielding big units of monsterous infantry (I1/I2) who are going to be trying to dispel those initiatave test spells. We're in the same boat, costs about the same, try to dispel where you can, suck it up when you can't.

I'm the only person I've seen thus far that's used lores other than life and beasts actually (I use death and for friendlies fire).
Why would you be so paranoid about losing the steam tank to a spell that you'd field an absurd number of gunners that would rarely have line of sight to the wizard and cost enough to get you 2.5 more tanks?
Its even better than before as empire tends to have good magic defence and T10 is just absurd when you throw it at things that would previously take it down.

SilasOfTheLambs
02-08-2010, 02:25
I think it's viable. In fact, I think it's better than it used to be. I also don't think it's a no-brainer. In fact, it occupies a slot that I wish everything in the game did: can be used to good effect (unlike, say, screamers of tzeentch) but can also fail drastically when confronted with its weakness (unlike, say, bloodthirsters).

I don't take one at 2200 (the level of the biggest tournament of the year around here) because to me its usefulness is too narrow, but I'd take one at higher points levels.

Spiney Norman
04-08-2010, 14:44
In short no, its not, and its not just purple sun that causes it problems either, any of the DD spells from the lore of metal will put enough wounds on it to render it completely useless.

I'm guessing they will find some way to address the problems when Empire gets its 8th Ed remake, but until then its back to the glass shelf...

Korraz
04-08-2010, 14:50
It's great at doing what it always was doing. Run it into a unit you don't want to go anywhere and laugh. Whining because of Sun or Metal Lore deserves a whack with the rule book.

Memnos
04-08-2010, 14:51
The problem with that is that people are supposed to write their lists before they show up and know who they're fighting.

Lore of Metal will be a rare one. I have, in fact, never seen it(Though that may be because I play Beasts currently and 'strangely' no one has chosen it before showing up at my LGS).

I think it's still viable, though a total power is much more easily gotten and that may kill it outright. The same could be said of a total power on any of your units with the right spell.

In short no, its not, and its not just purple sun that causes it problems either, any of the DD spells from the lore of metal will put enough wounds on it to render it completely useless.

I'm guessing they will find some way to address the problems when Empire gets its 8th Ed remake, but until then its back to the glass shelf...

KHolbourn
04-08-2010, 15:27
The steam tank is still very good!

I faced one in civil war (Empire Vs Empire) and it caned me.

My cannon bounced off it. The other Empire chap had 1 Lector & 3 W.priests for +5 DD so searing doom was going nowhere and even a magey miscast (Glittering scales after it had rammed my wizard lord's Greatsword bunker) bounced off it.

You're opponent realistically has ~2 turns before its in combat where its safe from ~50% of the spells that can damage it.

People seem obsessed with the "IF purple sun of doom" but so far in the games I've played/watched I've seen 2 IF casts... If the IF purple sun (after rolling the spell, getting enough PD that phase to 6 die it, being in a suitable position, with LoS and not having their own troops in the way and actually IF it.... then there's not much you can do. But its a pretty unlikley thing to happen.)

In combat it was untouchable. ~6 rounds of combat and 0 wounds. Even if it is wounded take a life wizard and heal it with the lifebloom attribute.

explorator
04-08-2010, 15:32
Remember also that the Steam Tank can now be healed. I put four wounds back on mine in one magic phase using the Lifebloom attribute from the Lore of Life. Priceless.

Urgat
04-08-2010, 17:16

There's a lot of things that you are going to keep on the shelf if you consider them not viable because a spell can kill them off :eyebrows:

Von Wibble
04-08-2010, 17:44
Of course the steam tank is still viable. People seem to be forgetting one key fact.

Empire have the best defensive magic phase of all the armies.

With an arch lector and priest in the army, plus rod of power and maybe aldred's casket, as often as not you will have more dispel dice than the opponent has power dice. It will take irresistable force to get a spell through if you are determined enough - and the lector, priest and rod are not wasted investments as they provide hatred to your units/ extra power dice if need be.

Considering the steam tanks job is to grind down a unit worth more than its value, and that it can reach such a unit before the opponents 3rd magic phase, and that it is now more resilient to war machine firepower (virtually immune to anything that isn't a cannon), what is all the fuss about?

Without the removal of the rule (imo one of the most stupid rules in existance - lets make the big lump of METAL immune to spells that are supposed to affect METAL) the steam tank would need increasing to 400 or so points to be fair.