PDA

View Full Version : WoC 2.5k- Cutting Teeth

Lochaber
02-08-2010, 07:09
Edit: Updated list in 7th post.

So after a sound thumping from High Elves in my learning game, I've done some reading and revision. Here's my list for this week's games:

Lords:
Sorceror lord, lvl 4, MoT, Disc, Conjoined Homumculus, Charmed Shield, Talisman of Preservation, Blood of Tzeentch

Heroes:
BSB Exalted, hw&shield, MoT, Stream of corruption, Blasted Standard

Core:
18 Warriors w/ hw&shield, MoT, full command, Rapturous Standard
18 Warriors w/ hw&shield, MoT, full command, War Banner
30 Marauders w/ gw, MoK, full command

Special:
6 knights w/ MoK
6 knights w/ MoK

Rare:
Hellcannon
Hellcannon

Total: 2491

In particular I'm wondering if it isn't worth sticking the BSB in with the Marauders to give them some protection from the proliferation of elven and Empire shooting that seems to be common 'round these parts.

theSkullduggery1
02-08-2010, 15:11
Try the armour piercing banner instead of the war banner (it is a bit more expensive though), I found that the build you have is very difficult to kill, and S4 is enough to wound a lot but the -2 AS is very helpful against many units (Saurus in particular).

I'm not convinced in giving your Marauders the BSB with that banner, I think once they know you have the ward save they will shoot at your warriors and 3 marauders can die for the price of 1 warrior so I'd rather they shoot at the marauders. Although you do have a decent build for your BSB, he has a decent ward in CC and shooting phase, all you have to watch out for is magic.

I think if I ever give my BSB a magic banner I am going to put him in a unit where the champ has the Blasted Standard and give him a shield and Tzeentch, sounds like an okay plan.

Jericho
02-08-2010, 20:12
I prefer putting the BSB in Marauders personally, and if you can find a way to get the Ironcurse Icon on that BSB then the unit will be reasonably resilient against war machines and it will only cost you a nickel. Granted this is better with Tzeentch Marauders, but it only needs to save 1 to be worthwhile. Might be worth a shot.

MOT, Enchanted Shield, Talisman of Endurance, Ironcurse Icon is pretty solid for the BSB. 2+/4++ is very solid and his unit gets a cheap boost as well.

Overall I really dig your army list though. Very similar to mine, except I take Throgg + Trolls instead of the second unit of Knights and second Hellcannon. Doubling up is usually quite effective, but not something I have the models for at the moment.

Lochaber
03-08-2010, 04:47
Had a game against Wood Elves today (my 2nd game of Warhammer ever!) and had my opponent concede the game on turn 2.

I decided to run the BSB with one of the units of warriors on my left side, because the marauders were facing nothing but melee skirmishers and fast cav.

I will definitely say that doubling up the Hellcannons was the best choice. With one shot you may go a whole game without hitting! I had the outrageous fortune to hit dead center with both of my shots in two of my opponents units, nearly wiping a full unit of glade guards and taking out most of a unit of war dancers!

I also underestimated the reach of Wood Elf Fast Cav, with Vanguard now they are wicked fast, able to easily get behind my knights and marauders on turn 1. Unfortunately, even with a rear charge, they couldn't kill a single knight, and all but one of them got cut down by the knights.

Running marauders in a big block of 30 also seems to have tremendous effects psychologically on some opponents. When my opponent marched his wild riders behind my marauders, catching them between his wild riders and his dryads a little ways off, I simply marched them forward and used a swift reform to turn them so that he could not get a rear charge on them with either unit. Rather than take the guaranteed double flank charges, he opted to simply close the distance and wait. I was really interested to see how things would have turned out over there. Most likely I'd have wheeled to charge the war riders because rear charges from things without command generally hurt less than rear charges from things with command (please correct me if I'm wrong!)

I'm fairly happy with how the army performs now, though I feel a real full length game is needed to test it further. How would I fare dropping a unit of knights for another 18 warriors? I'm thinking I'd run them Blender-style with halberd/shield and Khorne.

Dreadgrass
03-08-2010, 05:18
Not sure how theme-oriented you are, but if you want to include the frenzied "blenders" you could give them the frenzy banner and the Mark of Tzeentch to carry your theme and give them a touch more survivability to the unit.

Lochaber
03-08-2010, 05:29
Definitely an option. I'm not married to a theme really (I still run Khorne marauders and knights in an otherwise Tzeentch-y list) but it is another good idea.

I still don't know how I feel about running without warhounds yet. I'll probably have to play another full game to see how comfortable I am without them.

Lochaber
04-08-2010, 22:39
Bumping up for more criticism/comments/tips, thanks all for the great advice so far. League play starts next Tuesday for my club, here's what I'm thinking about bringing:

Lords:
Sorceror lord, lvl 4, MoT, Disc, Conjoined Homumculus, Charmed Shield, Talisman of Preservation, Blood of Tzeentch, Relic sword.

Heroes:
BSB Exalted, hw&shield, MoT, Blasted Standard.

Core:
18 Warriors w/ hw&shield, MoT, full command, Rapturous Standard
18 Warriors w/ hw&shield, MoT, full command, War Banner
30 Marauders w/ gw, MoK, full command

Special:
6 knights w/ MoK
6 knights w/ MoK

Rare:
Hellcannon
Hellcannon

Total: 2481

I'm also thinking about building to 3k with this list for Ard Boyz at the end of the month. My first thought is to drop in another big block of Warriors (or two big blocks of Marauders) and go from there. My friend has been urging me to take Kholek and he'd be an option at 3k but I don't really like using special characters much.