- Chaos Armour
- Great Weapons
- Mark of Khorne

6 Chaos Knights (270)
- Standard Bearer
- Musician

Dragon Ogre Shaggoth (285)
- Great Weapon

So this is the list. I got about 25 more points to spend, so I'll probably give a unit a Warbanner or somesuch. The Lord goes with the Shield Marauders, the Battle Standard with the Warriors.

The Lord gets Lore of Death and goes for the signature spell, which will hopefully benefit a lot from his Ld9. He can use it to snipe characters, as well as champions that would otherwise challenge him away from jucier targets.

Otherwise it's pretty straight forward: Infantry and Ogres form a solid centre, Knights and Shaggoth adds some mobility.

thesheriff
02-08-2010, 10:26
That looks pretty good. I assume ranks are 6x5 on the marauders. I would give the khorne marauders flails instead of GW. And i would drop bloodcurdling roar for stream of corruption on the disc mage.

thesheriff

theSkullduggery1
02-08-2010, 15:54
I'd actually go ranks of 5 with only the Tzeentch Marauders, and I'd go horde with the Khorne Marauders...but the first kill is already removing attacks from you, I have used 40-50 marauders in a horde and it has done well.

I also like to use GW instead of flails, I know a lot of people say go with flails but I've had too many combats last more than 1 round that I am usually happy to strike last once I still have the extra strength in the second round.

I have played with both trolls and ogres in this edition, I like how the trolls have preformed thus far.

Otherwise, list looks good.

Paraelix
02-08-2010, 20:44
Drop the Hw/Sh marauders. They get raped by templates.

Better off taking warriors or more frenzied marauders.

Jericho
02-08-2010, 21:30
I like the overall composition quite a bit, personally. I'd consider swapping the Sword of Might for a Spell Familiar on the Chaos Lord though. He becomes a lethal sniper if you roll 2 of those spells on Death. And he can earn back a few PD for the other L2 once in a while which is awesome. You might as well give him the Charmed Shield as well, same points with the 2+ to ignore the first hit you suffer. Why not :p

Honestly the only things I'm a bit iffy on are the Shaggoth (never liked their rules but to each his own, and it's a gorgeous model) and the 5 Marauder cav. Units of 5 will get butchered in 8th, I'm sorry to say. Make them a bit bigger and give them one of the shooting attacks and at least they can threaten war machines on turn 1. If the enemy doesn't deal with them all, he'll definitely start to lose war machines quickly. Knights can assist in this duty too, they are fun to run up a flank and use the free reform from wiping out a target to line up future charges that much easier.

With the handful of points you currently have left over in the list, consider a mark for the Knights. The BSB should be marked Tzeentch if he isn't already, it'll stack with his Parry save and make him a bit tougher in combat.

Makaber
03-08-2010, 00:39
Yeah, of course a limitation is what models I have in my collection. I'm not about to replace everything, so while I appreciate feedback, realistically I'm only prepared to make minor alterations.

Unit sizes, the idea is to run the HW/S guys 5 wide, and the GW 6, but I also like the flexibility to alter them on the fly, so it's not set in stone. The HW/S unit is pretty much just there to give the Lord some ranks. In the past I had no qualms charging him out of his unit, I'm not sure how well it will work in 8th. but I think I'll have to be a bit more selective about it now.

Paraelix: It's hard to make a list where nothing is vulnerable to something. I don't see how they're any more exposed to templates than frenzied Marauders. And if they take a template in the face, it means other, more important stuff isn't.

Jericho: Charmed Shield? Yes, why not indeed? The Shaggoth has actually served me really well in the past. Even if he can't break ranks now, for some reason I rarely saw him flank charging in the past anyway. The great strength of the Shaggoth is how damn mobile he is, with a 14" march and free pivot. It's a great unit to have with you just to put pressure on the opponent and dictate where he dares to move. I'm a bit concerned about how difficult he'll be to hide now, that's all. As for the Marauder cav, you know ... I have the miniatures. I might as well try them out, and if I'm not happy with their performance, I'll ditch them. It's the kind of alteration I'm willing to make.