PDA

View Full Version : 2,500 points of Empire

Templar47
02-08-2010, 20:56
Well, after playing a few battles so far I finally was able to finalize my list and after testing it out in a few games, it did really well against all comers, which is what I was hoping for, plus a lot of my oppenents liked it since it wasn't a list with 8 warmachines, 2x Steam Tanks and 50x handgunners :D. Here's the list I ran and I do plan on expanding it to 3,000 points in the future.

*General: 146 points
-w/GW, Armor of Meteoric Iron, White Cloak

*Arch-Lector: 266 points
-w/GW, Dawn Armor, War Altar

*BSB: 98 points
-w/HW, Full Plate Armor, Enchanted Shield

*Warrior Priest #1: 98 points
-w/GW, Hvy. Armor

*Warrior Priest #2: 98 points
-w/GW, Hvy. Armor

*Engineer: 65 points
-w/HW

*(30x) Spearmen: 290 points
-w/Full Command, Shields
-Detachment of 15x Swordsmen

*(30x) Spearmen: 290 points
-w/Full Command, Shields
-Detachment of 15x Swordsmen

*(48x) Halberds: 305 points
-w/Full Command, Razor Standard (w/BSB, Warrior Priest #2)

*(10x) Crossbows: 80 points

*(38x) Great Swords: 400 points (w/General)
-w/Full Command

*Great Cannon: 100 points

*Great Cannon: 100 points

*Mortar: 75 points

*Mortar: 75 points

Total: 2,496 points

As for expanding to 3,000 points, I 'm already planning on fielding another mortar and a Hellblaster Volley Gun, but I'm still debating one what else I could add to expand my list. Any suggestions?

Jericho
02-08-2010, 21:19
Can you really have 2 State Troops units with magic banners? My friend always rants about having 1 banner per army even if you take the Empire General. If Greatswords can always take a banner then I need to start laughing at his comically bad attention to detail.

Anyway I do like the list. Very inoffensive, and has a lot of solid units spread around there without causing any major headaches for your opponent. Nobody wants to see dual Stank or a battery of Hellblasters and Hellstorms... Not a huge fan of spearmen personally, but the overall composition looks pretty solid. I'd like to see you try to squeeze a L2 mage in there somewhere (maybe instead of the Engineer) just to make use of your PD a bit better in the early stages of the game. Defense will be okay with the additional DD so you should be good there.

grimgors battle buddy
02-08-2010, 21:39
how about instead of the spearmen you take swordsmen as the big units and have the detacthments as halberdiers. The swordmen should be able to absorb more damage as compared to the spearmen, then the halberdiers would go first when they countercharge the flanks of opponents(that's if they still get to strike first. I haven't fully read the faq yet)

Templar47
03-08-2010, 17:56
Can you really have 2 State Troops units with magic banners? My friend always rants about having 1 banner per army even if you take the Empire General. If Greatswords can always take a banner then I need to start laughing at his comically bad attention to detail.

Ah my bad mate :D. For a second there I was thinking that Great Swords could get a magic banner up to 25 points (since there a special unit), when it's only the Inner Circle Knights who can, so thats a mistake on my part and I'll take it out. And I thought about a level 2, but to be honest I'm not really a fan of magic for the most part, and since I already will have 4 DD to start thanks to the 2x Warrior Priests and the Arch-Lector, I' m confident I'll be alright in the magic phase.

As for taking swordsmen over spearmen, the reason I went with spearmen is becuase I like the fluff of them, and plus that extra rank of attacks has saved my bacon a few times in the past. I currently run both units of 30x in a 5x6 formation, so they will at least be steadfast in the first round of combat and thanks to their 15x Swordsmen detachment, should be able to grind down the oppent. And the Halberd Horde unit I'm running has done very well so far, and many oppenents think its looks really imtimidating when I got a Horde unit of Great Swords and a Horde unit of Halberds marching towards them :evilgrin:.

hennerz
07-08-2010, 15:27
i sugest a unit of knights to be able to get down the flank and get any war machines the other player might have as they will give you real problems.

Caboose123
08-08-2010, 02:43
Nice list, my thoughts:

No magic and no 'small arms fire' is kind've strange in what looks like a static gunline army.

A few small units of 10x Crossbowmen would be useful for shooting down fast cavalry and low armoured moderate toughness enemies like the majority of Monstrous Infantry. A Helblaster might be a good choice, as you have nothing to deal with tough infantry units (And they would need to be weakened before combat, especially if led by a character).

Also, a Lv4 mage seems like an obvious choice. Empire pay relatively few points for a magic phase, you may as well take advantage of this. (Also it would balance your list quite nicely.)

I would also re-jig the magic items a bit. The BSB needs more armour. I'd also give the Lector and General different stuff.

Still, it is a very nice list, that looks quite scary, with loads of war machines and frightening blocks. It does look static, and possibly liable to getting flanked.