PDA

View Full Version : The C'tan

Plebian
02-08-2010, 20:30
Hey all-

So, I was just reading the Necron section in the BRB, and noticed something interesting. It doesn't mention the C'tan at all, instead alluding to Necron Lords who are insane and think they are gods. So, do you think the next necron codex will revise the fluff a little and make the deciever/nightbringer/dragon into crazy powerful lords and kill off the c'tan? And if they do, how will you react?

Wyrmwood
02-08-2010, 20:34
They won't kill off the C'tan, but remove them from gameplay - instead, probably replacing them with 'avatars' as in Dawn of War: Dark Crusade/Soulstorm (if you've played either of those?).

Lord Damocles
02-08-2010, 20:37
As far as I'm concerned, far too much is/has been made of the lack of C'tan in the 5th ed. Rulebook. The tiny amount of information on the Necrons doesn't mention Necron Tombships either - no more Tombships?

Insane Lords who think that they're gods and actual gods aren't mutually exclusive, so even if the C'tan as currently presented (rules wise at least) were revealed to be Lords in advanced bodies the *actual* C'tan wouldn't necessarily be removed.

Besides which, the total removal of the C'tan as anything other than insane Lords or legends would require a retcon of such scale that I doubt very much that GW would go there (which is saying something!).

EDIT: Here's a thread from just after 5th ed. was released regarding Necron background: http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=151813&highlight=nerf

Karl MkVI
02-08-2010, 20:43
As far as I'm concerned, far too much is/has been made of the lack of C'tan in the 5th ed. Rulebook. The tiny amount of information on the Necrons doesn't mention Necron Tombships either - no more Tombships?

Insane Lords who think that they're gods and actual gods aren't mutually exclusive, so even if the C'tan as currently presented (rules wise at least) were revealed to be Lords in advanced bodies the *actual* C'tan wouldn't necessarily be removed.

Besides which, the total removal of the C'tan as anything other than insane Lords or legends would require a retcon of such scale that I doubt very much that GW would go there (which is saying something!).

EDIT: Here's a thread from just after 5th ed. was released regarding Necron background: http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=151813&highlight=nerf

Quoted For Truth. I dont feel I need to say anything more. :)

Wyrmwood
02-08-2010, 20:48
Mhm, I concur with Lord Damocles. But it seems logical to remove the C'tan as in game units also.

Plebian
02-08-2010, 20:51
Fair enough :)

Lord Damocles
02-08-2010, 20:56
Mhm, I concur with Lord Damocles. But it seems logical to remove the C'tan as in game units also.
This I think everyone can agree with. Plonking down the Nightbringer is like having actual Khorne in your 1500pt Chaos Marine army.

Change the current C'tan entry to 'Essence of C'tan' or named crazy Lords or whathaveyou in the next codex and the problems solved. You can get rid of the actual C'tan from the tabletop without having to retcon either them as actual [real/present] entites, or the current [rules] incarnations as being the actual C'tan.

Tokugawa100
02-08-2010, 22:03
I agree with Lord Damocles, removing the C'tan altogether would affect not only the fluff of the Necrons but a couple of others as well, mostly Eldar.

My theory which is alot of peoples theory is...

1. C'tan will be removed from normal games and only be available as an Apocalypse unit "the C'tan do exist in the universe, so it does make sense for them to be present in some battles".

2. If keapt in normal battles fluff wise they will not be true C'tan, more like the Dawn of War Essence's of the C'tan giving a Lord the form of his chosen deity.

I would seriously hate it if the C'tan were removed, they are my favorite thing in 40k, their so delightfully malicous and cruel.

bigcheese76
02-08-2010, 22:14
I have heard it from GW themselves at an event I attended at Warhammer world that in the new codex there will be a large focus on the C'Tan and up to four of them will feature in the book.

I think a new codex would include alot more fluff on the C'tan as the focus will expand as will the number of C'tan available.

My reaction. Bring more rattling snipers to games. That is all.

Wyrmwood
02-08-2010, 23:15
I agree with Lord Damocles, removing the C'tan altogether would affect not only the fluff of the Necrons but a couple of others as well, mostly Eldar.

My theory which is alot of peoples theory is...

1. C'tan will be removed from normal games and only be available as an Apocalypse unit "the C'tan do exist in the universe, so it does make sense for them to be present in some battles".

2. If keapt in normal battles fluff wise they will not be true C'tan, more like the Dawn of War Essence's of the C'tan giving a Lord the form of his chosen deity.

I would seriously hate it if the C'tan were removed, they are my favorite thing in 40k, their so delightfully malicous and cruel.

I like the C'tan. I like them so much I think that knowledge of them should be scant. Besides, the C'tan are literally the most powerful non-warp based entities in existence - even if you could include them in Apocalypse, it would still be ridiculous.

@bigcheese76: I really hope that information isn't correct, or has since been altered.

Lothlanathorian
03-08-2010, 06:06
I don't think it would take a retcon to remove the C'tan as they currently are than it took to change them into what they currently are. They were much better when they weren't the uber-finger-in-every-pie god-beasts they are now. As just a mysterious race at the fringe of Imperial space that were traded with for advanced weapons, they were much better.