PDA

View Full Version : measuring ranges

Khorneflakes
03-08-2010, 00:34
in a recent game my opponent had a unit of pistolers near my organ gun and he said that seeing as you can measure range he could check that his unit was more than 24" away at the end of his move so he couldnt get shoot.

was this legalish?

Alric
03-08-2010, 00:36
in a recent game my opponent had a unit of pistolers near my organ gun and he said that seeing as you can measure range he could check that his unit was more than 24" away at the end of his move so he couldnt get shoot.

was this legalish?

LOL, I think you got snookered. Measuring is for shooting and charging since he was not doing either I would say thats a bit cheesy interpretation of the measuring rules.

DarthBinky
03-08-2010, 00:37
The rulebook FAQ says:

Q: Can I measure distances and ranges at any time and for any reason? (p6)
A: Yes.

So yes, it was perfectly legal. Was it ethical? That's up for debate. Just remember that you can do it too.

Macmiel
03-08-2010, 01:16
Nothing to quarrel about. We need to get used to new ways of playing. It may be bothering at start, as before the distance was one, great unknown and part of most of strategies, but now game was simplified and that mystery is revealed to Your opponent. It is not a case of being ethically correct. It is just how it works now.

Teongpeng
03-08-2010, 10:12
thats right macmiel. ethics doesnt even feature in this.

Eternus
03-08-2010, 11:04
In any case, you can just imagine that experienced soldiers would be able to judge whether they were in range of the enemy or not. Probably from past and painful experience.

Cragum
03-08-2010, 20:26
soldiers intuition really...

you know that whole lick you thumb stick it in the air to see the way the winds blow crap...

stick your ear to the ground and hear what the enemy had for dinner at about 20 miles away and in which direction...

i quite like the whole measuring thing now as at the point it kinda shows how the troops would be like ' now hold on lads they starting to see pretty close' kinda shizzle...

plus aswell it finally gets rid of the whole thing that you are sat arguing saying he was so in range when he charges. because now you can see where they moved to and now theres no more excuses!

Khorneflakes
04-08-2010, 00:38
funny replies cragum! i thought it was a bit iffy at the time, but it was only a minor problem, which the organ gun sorted out later!

Paraelix
04-08-2010, 00:40
What do your elf eyes see?

Lord Inquisitor
04-08-2010, 01:02
In any case given that warhammer now permits premeasuring at any time for any reason, it is both legal and "ethical." Indeed, it is positively foolish to allow a unit to be within range of an organ gun if it doesn't need to be! It works both ways - you can measure with missile troops or wizards so that they're just in range when the shooting/magic phases come around. If any of this feels "cheesy" then I suggest a different edition of the game. ;)

Eternus
04-08-2010, 10:40
In many ways, allowing pre measuring prevents a great deal of waste in the new Edition. People have complained about random charges, but being able to measure allows a greater level of judgement to be applied, and measuring before shooting and casting spells means no more shooting wasted or autofailed spells due to being a quarter inch out of range - now more actions count, more of the time. You can make sure that unit is just within range of the general and battle standard, and you can measure the gap between two units and make sure the enemy doesn't have room to slip through, etc, etc.

Caladin
06-08-2010, 04:46
Yes it was legal and ethical and completly fair play. In 8th edition we are actively encouraged to measure anything and everything that will affect your decisions. In practice I find it speeds up the game a lot. I can measure max range of that organ gun a lot faster than I settle on my guess of where I'm safe.

Khorneflakes
06-08-2010, 08:06
its all good, just read the rule wrong. i assumed it was only your own actions you could measure

Khorneflakes
07-08-2010, 02:49
i was thinking about taking slugtongue in my beastman list. So i can measure out the best place to put him in my army by measuring out his area of effect to make the best of his pregame abilitity? Correct

Caladin
09-08-2010, 20:12
Yes you can

Khorneflakes
10-08-2010, 00:35
cool! well he went great in the game and it was another win for the beasts