PDA

View Full Version : Ninja Scorpions

thevampiredio
03-08-2010, 09:17
i was reading the new eldar book "path of the warrior". and it reminded me of a question i once thought of.
in the fluffs scorpions are sillent, agile, steath warriors. ninja striking from the shadows and all that jazz.
but if so... why are they carrying heavy armors? why use a very noisey and very messy chain saber? and of course... why the stirking green color? so contradicting...

sorry i just gotta get that out of my head...

ashc
03-08-2010, 09:25
Eldar technology? Wraithbone and mesh-designs are no-doubt very lightweight and practically silent. Similar can be said of their weaponry. They train for 100s of years with this equipment on a singular path of the warrior... all good stuff.

Of course, it doesn't matter because when they made them GW were really thinking 'Scorpions have a tough shell so give them cool armour! and being stung is like getting hit by a chainsaw, right!?' :p

thevampiredio
03-08-2010, 09:31
well is either GW being hurr derp. or...
i was thinking could it be something to do with their original phoenix lord? maybe the first one was all about blood and gore and blood for the blood god!!... which is why he turn to the darkside. and then the current phoenix lord took over and is all about steath and ninja?
wut u guys think?

Hellebore
03-08-2010, 09:33
Who was it that wrote this masterpiece?

Striking Scorpions are more orky than orks.

they'z green (this is propa)

they've got choppas that are choppier (always +1 str)
they've got sluggas that are shootier (better ap)

dem aspekt boyz got choppy in one hand n' dakka in the other, but decided that wasn't enough dakka so they put dakka on their face n' deyz use this dakka when they gets choppy.

DA skorpion boss can take a power klaw or an 'uge choppa (that's choppier than what orkses got, can get more than +2 strength), or a pair of super extra choppy choppas.
and since DA scorpion boss is da boss, he's got his dead choppy power klaw, but thought "iz gotta be shootier too", and stuck a bit of dakka on.

and their dakka? It shoots choppy disks!
Dakka while choppy, choppy shooty dakka, comprehending this would make an ork's mind implode. Eldar shootas don't got range like a propa ork shoota though, so that's an arguable deficiency compared to orks.

brutally kunnin, they're real slippery and sneaky like
kunningly brutal, they do this all in dead 'ard 'eavy armor.

sneakin in 'eavy armor. everybody else is like "we'z gotta strip down to be slippery like". Beakies do this, umies do this, even orkses do this, but Eldar's all like " You'z all stupid, dats why youz monkeys. Iz putting on 'eavier armor, iz gonna stomp through the jungle all sneaky like and chainsaw you stealthy like cuz Eldar's da best like dat. And if youz looks at me funny, dakka comes outta my face"

and the Skorpion Big Boss travels around the galaxy lookin' to scrap, with his extra shooty dakka face that's twice as shooty which makes him 33% choppier, and he's got extra 'eavy armor but it's extra flashy so he can run in it and be even more kunnin' and sneaky.

Hellebore

ashc
03-08-2010, 09:46
Hellebore has solved the riddle of the Striking Scorpions! They should be the Aspect of the Orkier Orkzez!

thevampiredio
03-08-2010, 09:47
:D ohgawg! who did this? he is full of WIN!!

Radium
03-08-2010, 09:51
That would be Kikkoman's brilliant work.

Hellebore
03-08-2010, 09:51
I can't remember. Someone on warseer who is no longer here. The screen name is on the tip of my tongue (which is why I can't see it).

EDIT: Ah yes the Soy Sauce Sensei.

Hellebore

Corax
03-08-2010, 14:28
Hellebore's quoting of that piece of utter genius notwithstanding, I think it is worth noting that Eldar armor is nothing like the clumsy power armor used by humans, and that their weapons use mechanisms and power sources quite different to humans. Therefore it does not automatically follow that Striking Scorpion armor is necessarily noisy or clumsy (PotW suggests that because it is made of psychically reactive materials, it moves with the user's body far more efficiently than human power armor), and that their chainswords do not sound like chainsaws (PotW mentions that they are almost silent). This indicative of the far greater level of sophistication of Eldar technology over the human equivalents, and means that such direct comparisons are likely to be unreliable.

MetalGecko23
03-08-2010, 15:02
Why do they have chainswords?

Thats what I want to know. It makes perfect sense for the Imperials to have them (well...sort of). It just never made sense for Eldar to be armed with them. Why don't they use power weapons like the Banshee? Why is their power klaw no more efficient then the Orks? How come they have powered armor but its the weapon that increases their strenght? Do they really need guns that fire ninja stars?

I have all these questions about the Eldar. They just don't make sense to me. None of their background ever seems to mesh with itself. I'm so confused...lol.

Zweischneid
03-08-2010, 15:36
Why do they have chainswords?

Thats what I want to know. It makes perfect sense for the Imperials to have them (well...sort of). It just never made sense for Eldar to be armed with them. Why don't they use power weapons like the Banshee? Why is their power klaw no more efficient then the Orks? How come they have powered armor but its the weapon that increases their strenght? Do they really need guns that fire ninja stars?

I have all these questions about the Eldar. They just don't make sense to me. None of their background ever seems to mesh with itself. I'm so confused...lol.

Slippery slope: Start digging deeper and you might start to question the logic of close-combat weapons on principle :shifty:

Anyways. At some point GW after the surprise succeess of the (rule-free) release of the Space Marine Mini, GW decided to give WFB in Space a Spin.

Ya got to have Elves in Space then because everybody loves pointy ears, right? And since this isn't your average fantasy Elf, they ought to have weapons that are clearly not fantasy-swords....

Didn't one of the guys doing the Space Marine Development given them some kinda Chainsaw-Sword? Gotta have that for the Space Elfs! Only.. uh.. sleek, advanced and elegant. If it's Elves, even Chainsaws are elegant!

thevampiredio
03-08-2010, 15:43
Hellebore's quoting of that piece of utter genius notwithstanding, I think it is worth noting that Eldar armor is nothing like the clumsy power armor used by humans, and that their weapons use mechanisms and power sources quite different to humans. Therefore it does not automatically follow that Striking Scorpion armor is necessarily noisy or clumsy (PotW suggests that because it is made of psychically reactive materials, it moves with the user's body far more efficiently than human power armor), and that their chainswords do not sound like chainsaws (PotW mentions that they are almost silent). This indicative of the far greater level of sophistication of Eldar technology over the human equivalents, and means that such direct comparisons are likely to be unreliable.

not every eldar get this fancy heavy armor. only scorpions and reapers do. chain sabers still doens't make sense... too messy. a sloppy butcher. lacks percision.

Poseidal
03-08-2010, 15:54
Clearly Scorpions are so sneaky they can sneak up on enemies while revving a chainsaw and in a full suit of armour.

It's obviously a testament to their superior skill and shows how inept their enemies are.

Stealin' Genes
03-08-2010, 16:41
I hadn't seen that piece before, but that's genius.

Devastator
03-08-2010, 17:10
not every eldar get this fancy heavy armor. only scorpions and reapers do.
and warp spiders;)

Sildani
03-08-2010, 18:09
Way back when, someone decided the Eldar having shuriken weapons and chainswords would be a good idea. And in the early Nineties, it may well have been. Twenty years later, though, we're stuck with those design decisions. I don't think anyone nowadays would instantly link "japanese shuriken" with "Tolkien's Elves... In Spaaaaaccee!" It's just not a chocolate-and-peanut butter kinda pairing. Far less, "extra-long Stihl chainsaw" and "sneaky elvin ninja". Yet again, though, some fifteen years ago chainswords were in vogue, and the Eldar got saddled with some.

Two things are worth stating here though:
1. Scorpion chainswords only started granting +1 Strength in this current Codex. Before, it was the individual Eldar who worked out on the WraithFlex such that he gained the extra beef. Kelly decided that it made no sense for an Eldar to have equivalent Strength to a Space Marine, thus the base Str 3, the "new" chainsword, and the attendant nerfing of the Scorpion's Claw.
2. It's been said in the rulebook that an armor save has only so much to do with the armor itself, but also with the reflexes, combat sense, etc. of the unit in question. So the Scorpion's armor might be no better than the other Aspects', but the Scorpion can dodge fire just a bit better... or can sneak around and make themselves a harder target. Granted, I think the background dictates the Scorpions have heavier armor, but for those of you who don't agree, there's your "out".

Green-is-best
03-08-2010, 19:37
Updated! :o

Why Striking Scorpions iz more Orky den Orks.

A treetus by Kikkoman Stuntiestompa, PhD (Panize head dakka-er)

Dey'z green (dis iz propa and very importunt)

Dey'z got choppas wot iz choppier den da Boyz
Dey'z got sluggas wot iz shootier too

Even dough dem Aspekt Boyz got da choppy bitz in one 'and an' da shooty bitz in da uvver, one of dat lot taut dey shud 'ave more dakka so dey put shooty bitz on on der face so dey can dakka while dey chop.

Da panzie wut is da Skorpion boss 'as eivver a powa klaw or a 'uge choppa wot is even choppier den der uvver boyz an' even more choppier den what da Orkses got. Some of dem has two supa extra choppy choppas.

An' da boss looked at is dead choppy power klaw, and tinks "dis can be shooty too," so he stuck some gubbins wif dakka on 'is klaw. Dats why da boss is da boss.

An' der shooty bitz shoot choppy bitz! Dey put choppy in der shooty so dey can chop while dey shoot! Dis makes me 'ead all 'urty tinking about it.

Deyz brutally kunnin, dey real slippery an' sneaky like a gene-sneaker.
Deyz also kunningly brutal, dey jump out of da jungle an' chop everyting wot dey can.

Dey also 'as armur wut is as good as da beakies an' skulk about in it! Uvver gitz tink "if we'z gonna skulk about, we'z gotta take all ar armur an' gubbinz an' wotnot off to be slippery like." Da beakies do dis, da regular oomies do dis, even some sneaky Orkses do dis. But da Skorpionz tink "Dat lot iz daft, dats why wez da best an' deyz monkeys. Da Skorpion boyz gotz da bestest armur, but we'z can stomp about in da jungle an' still be sneakier den a grot. Den, when we'z finds you and yer mates, we'z gunna chop you up gud an' quiet like wif our chainsaw choppas but none of da uvver lot you'z wiff iz gunna 'ear cause da Skorpionz is so stealfy. An' if youz tink uvver wise, we'z gonna shoot you wiff da dakka wot comes outta da shooty bitz on our nogginz."

Also, da Skorpion's Big Boss goes about lookin' for da biggest scrap wot he can find and if he dies he can come back for annuver go. 'Is armur is as gud as a meganob and his choppa is as choppy as a powa klaw and hes still betta at skulking about den da rest of dat lot. AND 'is hat has TWO shooty bitz on it. Dats a lot of dakka.

Radium
03-08-2010, 19:42
Green-is-best: you're my new hero. Even my ork-playing-eldar-hating mate laughed his rather orky behind off at that one and is, as I type this, converting new kommandos that look like scorpions.