PDA

View Full Version : Casting after rallying?

Wombohead
03-08-2010, 14:44
Sorry if the answer to this is obvious, but I cannae seem to find it.

If my fleeing wizard (coward!) rallies at the start of my turn, can he cast during the magic phase? I can find rules specifying that he certainly cannot move or shoot, but I cannot seem to find conformation one way or the other about the magic phase.

If anyone could throw me a page number on which this is proven either way, that would be ideal. The situation has happened to me twice already since 8th hit (I've only played three games - my caster is yellow-bellied) and I've lost out on some crucial casting because of it.

I seem to remember 7th ed. allowing them to cast despite rallying . . .

Lord of the End Times
03-08-2010, 15:00
I came across this in a game and could find no rule saying that they could not cast after rallying. Hence, I assume that they can.
On a related note: Can a wizard cast out of close combat? I could find nothing saying not but it seemed strange that a wizard could be casting spells whilst fighting for his life.

Little Joe
03-08-2010, 15:15
@Wombohead
Yes he can. The rules on magic don't exclude any magic users. And the rulebook states on page 24(last sentence): "A rallied unit cannot perform furter actions during the movement phase, and looses its oppertunity for a shooting attack in the shooting phase,...". Wizards are not mentioned.

@lord of the end times
Yes, always could do it, asside from magic missiles which are also specifically excluded in 8th(p.31 spell types). But!, he will need a line of sight for a lot of spells. If he can't make a LoS if required, he can't cast. Leaves the direct damage, augment and hex spells in most cases.

Wombohead
03-08-2010, 21:52
@Wombohead
Yes he can. The rules on magic don't exclude any magic users. And the rulebook states on page 24(last sentence): "A rallied unit cannot perform furter actions during the movement phase, and looses its oppertunity for a shooting attack in the shooting phase,...". Wizards are not mentioned.

Well, that's certainly my arguement. My regular opponents reckons that because rallying stops character performing most other actions, the same must apply to casting. Because the book doesn't specify that casting can still take place after rallying I'll have a hard time convincing them. (We rolled off to make a decision and I lost, unfortunately)

Lord Inquisitor
03-08-2010, 22:00
I'd love for wizards to not be able to cast if unable to shoot (it'd go great ways to balancing out the ungodly power highly mobile wizards have now), it doesn't seem to be the case. As with many things in 8th, the author left many things assumed rather than explicit as they were in 7th (which was written by Alessio, who was more of a competitive sort). Wizards were able to rally and cast in 7th, it seems that they can do so in 8th (there's nothing forbidding it).

Korraz
03-08-2010, 22:03
You are able to cast. It's simply not mentioned, so it's allowed.

Sometimes I think that the 8th Edition was written with having Veterans in mind, that are able to complete the missing, but intended bits.

Wombohead
03-08-2010, 22:14
Thanks for the feedback all - its good to hear other people confirm what I thought was the case. However, I suspect that without concrete proof I'm not going to convince anyone - hopefully it'll pop up in a faq at some point.

Lord Inquisitor
03-08-2010, 22:17
If they can't point to a part of the book that states a wizard cannot cast after rallying, then he can. Simple as.

Paraelix
04-08-2010, 00:11
If they can't point to a part of the book that states a wizard cannot cast after rallying, then he can. Simple as.

Ah. To make the situation more tricky. A wizard casts "Light of Battle" onto another wizard/unit with a wizard... They immediately rally and that wizard can now cast spells as well (but has missed his chance to channel). :D

Little Joe
04-08-2010, 09:13
You are able to cast. It's simply not mentioned, so it's allowed.

Sometimes I think that the 8th Edition was written with having Veterans in mind, that are able to complete the missing, but intended bits.

I agree, in 7th it was mentioned in the magic chapter. Rallying allows for channelling.

Blekinge
04-08-2010, 15:05
I think you can actually channel, even while fleeing.

And having wizards unable to cast, if they are unable to shoot would crimp march movement, I think

Nomen Mendax
04-08-2010, 15:32
You can't channel while fleeing (I'm at work so I can't give you the page reference). The rules specifically state that you can't cast spells while fleeing or channel while fleeing.

As far as I can tell the rules are silent on whether or not a wizard adds their level to dispel attempts when they are fleeing (something that came up in a game I had recently).