PDA

View Full Version : Info on Red Corsairs characters?

Born Again
03-08-2010, 14:50
So, we all know there's plenty of info on Huron Blackheart as the classic special character for the Red Corsairs. However, in "The Wolf of Fenris" story in the CSM codex, it mentions two other Red Corsairs by name: Techmarine Armanneus Valthex, and Chief Apothecary Lord Garreon, known as The Corpsemaster.

I've just finished assembling a Chaos Lord who I imagined I could use as Lord Garreon if I wanted to flesh out some fluff in campaigns. I remember reading about one other Red Corsairs character though who I thought would also be a cool conversion. I forget the name, but he was a Loyalist marine (a White Scar I think?) acting as a spy amongst the Corsairs. When Huron discovered him he had him butchered to near death, then entombed in a dreadnought. It seems too good an idea to pass up but I can't find the info again. Does anyone else remember this and have some details?

Kallas
03-08-2010, 15:04
Regarding the White Scar as I remember it:

The White Scar appeared in 'Into the Maelstorm' (spelling check please) and was executed to prove the loyalty of an Astral Claw librarian (forgot name) who proceeded to try an betray Huron but messed up badly and thus entombed in a dreadnough sacohagus (note minus the power unit, arms and legs) then fired into space and left well alone.

Lord Damocles
03-08-2010, 15:49
Poor old Sartak...

There's also Huntmaster Galvaron from Apocalypse Reloaded (pg.56).

malika
03-08-2010, 16:02
What is a Huntmaster? Perhaps the Red Corsairs use the word "master" in their titles?

Lord Damocles
03-08-2010, 16:27
There are no more than four Huntmasters at any one time; all are bitter rivals vying for glory in the eyes of their master. The rewards for obeidience are great, the punishment for treachery fatal. It is amoungst the Hounds' tasks to hunt down renegades that once flocked to the Red Corsairs' banner and have since put their own agenda above that of Huron's.
/
Large squadrons of Chaos Bikers provide a violent thunderbolt of destructive force, although they tend to group together under the command of a particularly powerful Chaos Lord. It takes an individual who can promise to deliver the renegades an even greater bounty to temporarily gain their allegiance. Huron's Huntmasters are men such as this, imposing figures in the Red Corsairs who answer only to Lord Blackheart himself.
/
Truly the Huntamasters are Huron's chosen agents, his favoured heralds of terror.

'The Hounds of Huron' in Apocalypse Reloaded, pg.56

malika
03-08-2010, 16:33
So it's a certain position they hold, kinda like an Inquisitor. Meaning you could have commanders and all these figures, but then also a Huntermaster running around.

SharpSilver
03-08-2010, 21:35
You could always design a character around the members of the Space Wolves who turned upon their fellows on the Wolf of Fenris

As the Red Corsairs' victory became inevitable, several Space Wolves turned on their fellows and threw themselves at the mercy of the Blackheart. They renounced their pledges to their Chapter, Primarch and Emperor, and swore allegiance to Huron. As reward for their allegiance, Huron granted them command of the Wolf of Fenris, which is now part of the Red Corsairs' fleet.
Traitorous scum :mad:

Lupe
03-08-2010, 21:40
Traitorous scum :mad:

Quite. Betray your masters, if you choose. Betray your fellow Astartes. But never betray your Chapter.

ashc
04-08-2010, 09:04
Considering the Wolves at times are considered one of the most robust chapters vs. chaos corruption, we get a hell of a lot of stories about wolves throwing their lot in with the Red Corsairs... :p

Born Again
04-08-2010, 09:34
Regarding the White Scar as I remember it:

The White Scar appeared in 'Into the Maelstorm' (spelling check please) and was executed to prove the loyalty of an Astral Claw librarian (forgot name) who proceeded to try an betray Huron but messed up badly and thus entombed in a dreadnough sacohagus (note minus the power unit, arms and legs) then fired into space and left well alone.

Thanks, but damn. Didn't realize they then jettisoned him in to space. Would have been a cool conversion to make up!

Poor old Sartak...

There's also Huntmaster Galvaron from Apocalypse Reloaded (pg.56).

There are no more than four Huntmasters at any one time; all are bitter rivals vying for glory in the eyes of their master. The rewards for obeidience are great, the punishment for treachery fatal. It is amoungst the Hounds' tasks to hunt down renegades that once flocked to the Red Corsairs' banner and have since put their own agenda above that of Huron's.
/
Large squadrons of Chaos Bikers provide a violent thunderbolt of destructive force, although they tend to group together under the command of a particularly powerful Chaos Lord. It takes an individual who can promise to deliver the renegades an even greater bounty to temporarily gain their allegiance. Huron's Huntmasters are men such as this, imposing figures in the Red Corsairs who answer only to Lord Blackheart himself.
/
Truly the Huntamasters are Huron's chosen agents, his favoured heralds of terror.

'The Hounds of Huron' in Apocalypse Reloaded, pg.56

Thanks for that too! I don't have that book and didn't realize there was RC info in it.

So is this all the info on named Red Corsairs there is? I had a dig around on the net but couldn't turn up anything on any other named characters apart from what's been mentioned in this thread, and Into the Maelstrom seems to be OOP now.

deacon52
04-08-2010, 09:41
that aint right, that doesnt sound like any wolves i've read about. i always thought they would rather die, than get on their knees and beg.
sometimes i could just drop kick some of these writers, its like every little peice that was ever written before never existed and then started from scratch again.

MajorWesJanson
04-08-2010, 11:59
Into the Maelstrom seems to be OOP now.

I'm petty sure it got reprinted in the big omnibus, I think "Let the Galaxy Burn"

Kallas
04-08-2010, 12:10
Thats a thought, there's a sorceror with Huron during the Into the Maelstorm story, described as quite skeletal if I recall, will try to dig out the book and get the name tonight...where ever the book is....

Though as I checked lexi to see if I could speed things up, I found

Oneius_Prayd (http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Oneius_Prayd)

Born Again
04-08-2010, 14:26
I'm petty sure it got reprinted in the big omnibus, I think "Let the Galaxy Burn"

Really? Thanks, I might look at picking it up.

Thats a thought, there's a sorceror with Huron during the Into the Maelstorm story, described as quite skeletal if I recall, will try to dig out the book and get the name tonight...where ever the book is....

Though as I checked lexi to see if I could speed things up, I found

Oneius_Prayd (http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Oneius_Prayd)

Cheers, despite much lexi searching hadn't seen that before. Looks like another character to convert up!

EDIT: I just looked at the lexi, maybe the pages should be updated to include these? There is a category of "Chaos Space Marine characters" which seems to include some fairly minor names, I can see no reason these shouldn't be included as well. So to tally a total list:

* Oneius Prayd
* The Librarian & Sartak
* Huntmaster Galvaron
* Armanneus Valthex
* Lord Garreon

Am I missing any one else? I think that's it.

Zweischneid
04-08-2010, 14:47
that aint right, that doesnt sound like any wolves i've read about. i always thought they would rather die, than get on their knees and beg.
sometimes i could just drop kick some of these writers, its like every little peice that was ever written before never existed and then started from scratch again.

Maybe that's because you only read Space Wolves fluff, not Chaos fluff.

I am not sure what you're expecting, but GW doesn't write its background to give an unbiased, scientifically robust assessment of how things are in 40K.

They write dramatic fiction with protagonists and antagonists, the only difference is that these roles may switch depending on what Codex/Novel/Story you're reading.

A Marine Codex, or the Wolf Codex are meant to cater to Marine and/or Wolf players and make Marines and Space Wolves look cool. That means they're the protagonists. By this, they will usually win, usually against the odds, and if they don't, they'll at least die "honorably" in some way that makes the enemy who beat them look "treacherous", "cowardly", or some such as to keep them in their villain role.

Now, if it's a Xenos book or a Chaos book, the roles reverse. Marines and Wolves and all that will serve as antagonists, rather than protagonists. That means, they'll look alot less good and heroic. Having them cry, whine and grovel before the Red Corsairs that just gave them a good beating against the odds, having outsmarted the Wolves and a few other Chapters left-and-right from start to finish, and just generally making them look like fools, serves that purpose perfectly.

The mirror isn't perfect, as someone picking up a Chaos book is expecting to read from an anti-hero/bad-guy perspective, rather than the pure-bread hero-view of reading a loyalist Codex/Novel. Nevertheless, any good fluff-author will still manage to make the Chaos (Xenos) guys look cool and the "other guys" kinda inept in comparison.

The story on the "Wolf of Fenris" does precisely what Codex-fluff is meant to do. You shouldn't give the writers that came up with it a drop-kick. You should give them a promotion... and possibly set them up writing the next loyalist-Codex. There, I am sure, the Chaos (Xenos) guys will be again the ones getting a humiliation served to them by the loyalist guys.

Clockwork-Knight
04-08-2010, 17:00
It's not like Huron's gang of pirates is are chaos-followers like the Alpha Legions or the Night Lords, who themselves only use chaos if it serves their purpose.
The Space Wolves who followed Huron did it because they want to eat babies, pillage trading ships, burn down entire cities, without any responsabilities or duties that stop them from doing this, just as they did on Fenris before they became Astartes.
Also, being more resistant does not mean being immune.

deacon52
05-08-2010, 00:09
Maybe that's because you only read Space Wolves fluff, not Chaos fluff.

I am not sure what you're expecting, but GW doesn't write its background to give an unbiased, scientifically robust assessment of how things are in 40K.

They write dramatic fiction with protagonists and antagonists, the only difference is that these roles may switch depending on what Codex/Novel/Story you're reading.

i dont have a problem with space marines/wolves/angels. getting pasted by chaos/xenos in their respective fluff. its just that their supposed to be disiplined/shall know no fear super soldiers.
i just dont think that writers should need to make them look wimpy in order to make the chaos/xenos look good.
and in turn i wouldnt expect chaos marines to be on their knees in marine fluff either

Zweischneid
05-08-2010, 08:07
i dont have a problem with space marines/wolves/angels. getting pasted by chaos/xenos in their respective fluff. its just that their supposed to be disiplined/shall know no fear super soldiers.
i just dont think that writers should need to make them look wimpy in order to make the chaos/xenos look good.
and in turn i wouldnt expect chaos marines to be on their knees in marine fluff either

Doesn't really work that way because corruption, violation and degration are major themes that Chaos has going; just as "honour" is a major theme running through the Wolves Codex.

Beating Loyalist Marines fair and square, and everybody going away with "respect" for how awsome the opponent is isn't a Chaos thing. It is more something you'd find in a loyalist Codex (cue Dante's "respect" for Necrons given the formidable fight they put up). Similarly, alot of fluff in the Wolf Codex is about "we are doing what is right!", even if the outcome of the battle isn't even told (cue the story about Space Wolves charging into the Flesh Tearers as they lose their cool and go full-bloodlust).

Inversly, Chaos winning is never so much about "we conquered planet x and beat chapter y". Chaos winning is just as much about "corrupting" and "violating" the very core of what loyalist marines believe they are and stand for. The "Wolf of Fenris" isn't a good story because the Corsairs captures some random ship. The "Wolf of Fenris" is a good story of a Chaos-victory precisely because it shows Space Wolves "weak", "degraded" and "corrupted", falling down from their high moral horse as soon as they are put to the test.

So yes, Space Marine's are supposed to be disciplined, shall know no fear, honour thy battle-brother super soldiers. Equally however, Chaos Space Marines are supposed to be the dark mirror held to their face showing them that they are not.

Kallas
05-08-2010, 08:13
Really? Thanks, I might look at picking it up.

Cheers, despite much lexi searching hadn't seen that before. Looks like another character to convert up!

EDIT: I just looked at the lexi, maybe the pages should be updated to include these? There is a category of "Chaos Space Marine characters" which seems to include some fairly minor names, I can see no reason these shouldn't be included as well. So to tally a total list:

* Oneius Prayd
* The Astral Claw Librarian Sartak
* Huntmaster Galvaron
* Armanneus Valthex
* Lord Garreon

Am I missing any one else? I think that's it.

"the tall, cadaverous figure of Garlon Souleater, the tyrant's most potent sorcerer"

Also a berserker champion called Crassus makes a walk in (axe first naturally) appearence, but no info on him (he was a plot device for thinks going wrong in Sartak).

Edit: Also made a correction on your post.
Edit 2: it's worth noting that Sartak was trying to betray Huron to find redemption, so he was refered to as an Astral Claw rather than a Red Corsair.

hateful
05-08-2010, 12:20
there maybe some more characters in the short story head hunter at the start of legends of the space marines

Wolfe359_01
19-03-2013, 18:38
Hope to re-spark this thread, as I have developed a passion for the Red Corsairs.
Reading elsewhere, there is also a tie-in with the Tiger Claws, and the "once-mentioned" Claws of Lorek...lots of room for character development there.

Khorneguy
19-03-2013, 18:58
Have a look at Blood Reaver by ADB too, as pretty much the entire book focuses on Talo's Night Lords dealing with the Red Corsairs. There's plenty of characters mentioned, but none spring to mind right now