PDA

View Full Version : Arc of sight and dangerous terrain test questions

Narius Phinshredder
04-08-2010, 13:42
I have 2 questions after finishing reading the book.

1: Dangerous terrain tests - If you move into or through an area that requires you to take a dangerous terrain test, what happens if you end your move half way in? Do you have to take another test next time you move until you're out or is it a one off test?

2: Is there such a thing as Arc of Sight anymore? as nowhere talks about what range of field a model can see. PLEASE correct me if i'm wrong but nowhere mentions that LOS is limited to the front 90˚ arc as it was in 7th! It shows what your front arc is (pg5) for Charging, shooting and magic. These rules also say your model/s have to have LOS and your target needs to be at least partially in the front arc. Surely this means everything can see 360˚ it's just that for Charging..etc you also need to have the enemy in your front arc.

I found myself facing this problem the other day. My opponent had a 10 wide unit of goblins behind a hill. I was about 2" the other side but had the hill in front so I could not see within 90˚ any of the enemy but my guy on the end could draw LOS to a goblin peeping out the end (At about a 60˚ angle). The way I see it I could have declared a charge over the hill.

T10
04-08-2010, 14:05
1. Yes.

2. No, LOS is no longer limited by the direction your model is facing. However, before you get exited, most of the effects that in 7th (and previous editions) relied on sight (as limited by the models facing) are now limited by the requirement that the target must be in the model's forward arc. This includes charging, shooting and a lot of magic

With regards to your example it sounds like a valid charge: You have line of sight to the target from oner or more models (this is not restricted by the model's facing) and the target unit is in your unit's front arc.

-T10

Narius Phinshredder
04-08-2010, 21:25
1. Yes.

-T10

Apart from the description on pg 117 I can't find any other reference to the Dangerous terrain test, not that I don't believe you but am I missing a piece of text that furthers the description of the test?

Jericho
04-08-2010, 22:05
If it takes you multiple turns to fully clear the dangerous terrain, then I believe you are taking tests every time you move. It's the same in 40k.

Damocles8
04-08-2010, 23:06
another side question related to arc of sight, in the book it seems to point out a unit's arc of sight vs models arc of sight

chaospantz
05-08-2010, 05:27
I would say use LoS when fiuring out what a mage can see for magic missles. Direct dammage spells though would be anyone in range so no LoS needed.

T10
05-08-2010, 07:53
Apart from the description on pg 117 I can't find any other reference to the Dangerous terrain test, not that I don't believe you but am I missing a piece of text that furthers the description of the test?

My apologies: I haven't the text before me at the moment of writing.

I've read the same text and inferred that each models tests each time it moves through a piece of dangerous terrain and that this means one test if starting the move in dangerous terrain and another test each time the model enters a new piece of dangerous terrain.

-T10

T10
05-08-2010, 07:55
I would say use LoS when fiuring out what a mage can see for magic missles. Direct dammage spells though would be anyone in range so no LoS needed.

See the spell categories in the Magic rules. These lay down the general rules for whether or not line of sight is required and whether the target must be in the wizard's forward arc.

-T10