PDA

View Full Version : Light magic questions

Spiney Norman
04-08-2010, 14:37
2 questions actually, on the lore of light spells

1. Birona's timewarp
This spell "doubles" the target's movement, but makes no mention of it being capped (i.e doubles the targets movement to a maximum of 10). Is it reasonable to assume that the max of 10 on any stat still applies here and when cast on, for example, a unit of saurus cavalry, their movement is limited to 10 rather than 14? Thus there would be absolutely no point in casting the spell on a flying unit or, for example, seekers of slaanesh.

2. The net of Amyntok
How does this spell apply to wizards in the unit? They must take a strength test before attempting any action listed in the spells description.

So the wizard has to test before casting a spell. Does this mean he tests once for the magic phase and can then cast away merrily without having to test again.

Or does it mean he has to test before EACH casting attempt he wishes to make?

What if he fails the test, can he just not cast the spell he was going to attempt, or can he not cast any further spells for the remainder of the phase?

If the former does that mean the player has to declare which spell he is intending to cast before he rolls the str test? Also what happens to the PD he was going to use in the cast attempt? Are they returned to the pool or are they discarded?

Blekinge
04-08-2010, 14:56
2 questions actually, on the lore of light spells

1. Birona's timewarp
This spell "doubles" the target's movement, but makes no mention of it being capped (i.e doubles the targets movement to a maximum of 10). Is it reasonable to assume that the max of 10 on any stat still applies here and when cast on, for example, a unit of saurus cavalry, their movement is limited to 10 rather than 14? Thus there would be absolutely no point in casting the spell on a flying unit or, for example, seekers of slaanesh.

The spell was errattaed to change "movement allowance". I am not sure I totally understand the question, but it must mean that it is the allowed movement, not the movement stat that is doubled. So, empire knights with movement 8 has a movement allowance of 7 due to barding. This is doubled to 14.

2. The net of Amyntok
How does this spell apply to wizards in the unit? They must take a strength test before attempting any action listed in the spells description.

So the wizard has to test before casting a spell. Does this mean he tests once for the magic phase and can then cast away merrily without having to test again.

Or does it mean he has to test before EACH casting attempt he wishes to make?

What if he fails the test, can he just not cast the spell he was going to attempt, or can he not cast any further spells for the remainder of the phase?

If the former does that mean the player has to declare which spell he is intending to cast before he rolls the str test? Also what happens to the PD he was going to use in the cast attempt? Are they returned to the pool or are they discarded?

Without looking at the rulebook right now, this is my intrepretation.
1. Select spell you want to cast, and target to cast it on
2. Attempt Str test
3. If fail, spell failed
4. If success, proceed to allocate power dice

A wizard can only ATTEMPT to cast a spell once per phase. So, if he fails the S test, he has lost his attempt. By the spell description, he should test for each spell, not just once for the magic phase.

I think the unit can use the highest S in the unit for the test, so a brutish character can break the net for the puny wizard, he does not have to do it himself.

snowywlf
04-08-2010, 15:51
See this thread concerning your second question:

http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=268388