PDA

View Full Version : Poop Tanks??

MrSatan
05-08-2010, 00:25
I read in another thread that apparently a leman russ runs on the crew's biological waste?? c'mon if this is true its the silliest thing I've heard. Is this true and where did it come from??

' sir, target, 400 metres!!
Not now private! I'm curling one out in the fuel pipe!'

Havock
05-08-2010, 00:34
Saves you having to dig latrines!

Askil the Undecided
05-08-2010, 00:52
Leman Russes much like just about any STC IG tank engine can be converted to run off of just about anything flammable.

When you think about it bio waste isn't so stupid, it's plentiful economical and you'll get plenty as long as rations hold out.

The main fuel though seems to be prometium which appears to have changed from a highly volatile spontaneously igniting gel (a la 2nd ed) to a catchall term for fuel-hydrocarbons. (a la Abnett.)

MrSatan
05-08-2010, 01:00
True but biofuel needs time to rot to produce flammable methane, not taking a dump in a fuel tank. Which book is it stated in? is there a quote?. Unless the space marine in your avatar is making land raider fuel, I'm not buying it =P

Askil the Undecided
05-08-2010, 01:08
As I also said biowaste isn't the main fuel it's just an available option. Much like wood, coal, dry foodstuffs, alcohol and animal fat.

MrSatan
05-08-2010, 01:12
my point is it sounds like in the middle of a battle they could just take a quick dump if they run out of fuel, but surely that wouldnt work as they would have to wait for it to biodegrade. Essentially all the stuff you listed there would have to be burned to be used as a fuel. Sounds like a the russ basically has a furnace and boiler for its power source a la steam tank lol

But seriously who came up with the s**t (pun intended) :D

geeksquared
05-08-2010, 01:57
Unless the leman russ runs on cold fusion. then anything carbonn based would do the trick

madprophet
05-08-2010, 03:11
Remember the Mr. Fusion from Back to the Future?:p

I wonder if Leman Russes and other Imperial vehicles don't run on something like that.

Sebavin
05-08-2010, 03:53
Well it makes more sense then las-packs.
Those things are solar powered and after only a hour or so in the sun it is fully charged and ready to go. Don't got any sun? well do you have heat because that charges them to, put it next to a russ's engine to heat up for a few hours or toss it in a fire for a few seconds. Don't have ether well that is ok, jery-rig a electrical wire and it is fully charged.
such extreme tech that is mass produced and they still run on fuel?

What was the point of me saying that, well in the Imperium they have made all military things so reliable that they can run on anything. It is not so stupid when you think that some tank crews can't leave there tank for days on end.

Iuris
05-08-2010, 08:55
Ay yay yay yay yay...

OK, this is a very very bad chain of logic that must have led to this.

The core issue is that the Leman Russ engine is not a specialized single fuel engine but is rather known to be able to process a variety of combustibles for fuel. It probably works best on refined promethium, but when it's not available, it should be able to run on cooking oil, wood and similar.

Second, we know in real life that bio-gas CAN be produced from animal (and human) waste. Of course, it's not quite as simple as "poop into the reservoir" but involves large tanks and gas collection mechanisms and so on. By the quote above, it should be quite possible to drag a tank of presurised bio-gas into a Leman Russ, hook it up, calibrate the engine, and run on it.

But no matter what you do - the waste from a single crew would not be enough to power the tank to any extent. There simply isn't enough of it. Bio-gas is only a real option on farms that get a herd of cows' worth of waste that can be processed into gas.

BTW, a side note: just because a Leman Russ can use a variety of fuels doesn't mean that it's not limited with them. Every fuel contains only so much energy. Wood contains much much less energy per kilo that gasoline. Do take that into account when you do your fanfics...

Hunger
05-08-2010, 10:53
c'mon if this is true its the silliest thing I've heard.

You'll be cooking those words over a burning **** and eating them when the oil runs out...

Scalebug
05-08-2010, 12:13
It's one of those flawed (and is this case childish) fan-fic extrapolations of established canon, just like Orks being able to pick up a stick off the ground, believing it to be a gun and shooting with it...

AndrewGPaul
05-08-2010, 14:06
You don't need to wait for the s**t to give off methane. You can just dry it out and burn it. This probably doesn't work as well with human waste as with the waste of plant-eating animals, though.

ashc
05-08-2010, 15:25
Probably engineered from the poop car (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-10881080)! ;)

spetswalshe
05-08-2010, 15:44
I would think human waste power would be more in the sense of a refinery recycling it into useable fuel, rather than 'open the stove door and drop trow'. Recycling would make a great deal of sense in a hive world; urine into drinking water, solid waste into fuel, corpses into fuel/foodstuffs and skulls into useful utility robots.

The whole 'stove door' think irks me; I would suspect 'normal' Leman Russ tanks are not capable of running on wood or whatever without serious modification; the idea that it can 'run on anything' would apply to the STC-based design, where it can be made to run on anything. Having a tank that can take a huge variety of solid, liquid or gaseous fuel would lead to a huge amount of redundancy when you're a well-supplied regiment that uses promethium like the Emperor intended. I mean, yes, it'd be handy if you get seperated but can you imagine how many trees you would need to cut down to make that thing move more than a few inches a day? Those additional materials could be put to better use making another tank, or whacking a honking great aquila on the side.

TimLeeson
05-08-2010, 20:10
me and my friends chaos fecal-marines army has a "Septic tank" tank. If that's anything..

eltanko
05-08-2010, 21:32
If space marine waste can be reprocessed into nutrient paste, I dont see why human watse cant be used to power a tank!! It is the year 40'000+!

ElTanko

TrooperTino
06-08-2010, 13:43
Maybe the engine needs just something to heat it like the lasgun powercells. i think you need some modifications to use wood for example, but once they are made the LR might run reliable on it like on promethium. only problem would be that wood takes a lot of space and someone has to go out of the tank to refill quite often.

I made a little conversion based on that idea and think thats a good thread to show it off :D

Hasan ibn Sabbah
06-08-2010, 13:48
Dunno, but the idea of agitated Commisair shouting "Poop harder in the name of Emperor" to aquire fuel for his tank is kinda amusing :D

808thMyrmidons
06-08-2010, 14:01
just goes to show that the imperial guard was **** until 5th ed

TrooperTino
06-08-2010, 14:12
just goes to show that the imperial guard was **** until 5th ed

I think its a very good piece of fluff and shows the versatillity of imperial equipment.

808thMyrmidons
06-08-2010, 14:16
it was a joke. a very bad one apparently

Bunnahabhain
06-08-2010, 17:20
Well designed equipment can run on a multitude of fuels. I happen to have an example of such,a nice camping stove that will happily run on butane, propane, methylated spirits, petrol, kerosene, Diesel, paraffin....

As a slightly more relevant example, the M1 battletank can run on a wide variety of liquid fuels (petrol, aviation fuel, diesel, some others I think...)

If the Imperium has such well designed and versatile things is open for debate, but they are possible...

There is old background materiel of Russes being run on waste organic matter - I'd always assumed this meant things like alcohol distilled from sugar cane ( i.e. as currently done in Brazil)
Running on the crews waste? That's just a confusion of the above...

TrooperTino
06-08-2010, 17:43
it was a joke. a very bad one apparently

oh I get it... I read f***k in **** but apparently it meant S**t

:shifty:

Zothos
06-08-2010, 19:35
"I'm curling one out in the fuel pipe."

Made me laugh....

Trumane
06-08-2010, 22:04
Interestingly this showed up on digg today
http://www.greencarreports.com/blog/1048030_volkswagen-beetle-runs-on-fuel-generated-from-human-waste

Philip S
07-08-2010, 13:02
The chances are the Leman Russ engine, like most STC engines, is a basic 'firebox' surrounded by those STC lasgun mags (you know; the one that recharge when heated). The heat is turned into electrical power and that in turn powers the motors.

I doubt fresh human waste would work in such a system, but fossil fuels, bio-mass (wood, hemp, etc.), and other combustible chemicals would. I suspect liquid fuels are injected into the firebox, while solid fuels can be shovelled in (much like an old steam train boiler - seems appropriate for 40K).

Such an engine could run on several fuels at once, you could shovel in coal and wood, and inject diesel?

Well that my thoughts on it.

Philip

Warmaster Bill
08-08-2010, 02:11
I wish I had a tank that ran on **** :cries:

Col. Tartleton
08-08-2010, 03:58
Well designed equipment can run on a multitude of fuels. I happen to have an example of such,a nice camping stove that will happily run on butane, propane, methylated spirits, petrol, kerosene, Diesel, paraffin....

As a slightly more relevant example, the M1 battletank can run on a wide variety of liquid fuels (petrol, aviation fuel, diesel, some others I think...)

If the Imperium has such well designed and versatile things is open for debate, but they are possible...

There is old background materiel of Russes being run on waste organic matter - I'd always assumed this meant things like alcohol distilled from sugar cane ( i.e. as currently done in Brazil)
Running on the crews waste? That's just a confusion of the above...

Yeah I think the central idea is that it uses a gas turbine engine. Those can run on anything that will burn enough to expand the gas to turn the fan. However they burn through gas like nothing else. Its essentially a low powered jet engine with a drive shaft instead of raw thrust.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chrysler_Turbine_Car

This car could run on just about anything flammable you put in the tank.

Bunnahabhain
08-08-2010, 13:28
Yeah I think the central idea is that it uses a gas turbine engine. Those can run on anything that will burn enough to expand the gas to turn the fan. However they burn through gas like nothing else. Its essentially a low powered jet engine with a drive shaft instead of raw thrust.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chrysler_Turbine_Car

This car could run on just about anything flammable you put in the tank.

One of the reasons the next generation of US armour will be going back to diesels- the fuel flexibility isn't worth the extra fuel consumption, massive IR signature, and difficulty the jet blast presents for nearby infantry.

That would also explain the sometime ability (depending on background source) of Russes to use unspecified nuclear power sources. Suck atmosphere in, heat it ( so causing expansion) using the energy from the nuke, and run that through the gas turbine.....
I'm not saying it's sensible, just that is within the bounds of 'could be made to work, maybe', rather than the total science fail of some GW tech stuff( Depleted Deuterium? WTF!)

Hunger
09-08-2010, 12:39
Depleted Deuterium

Oh that is terrible. That really makes me cringe.

On a related note regarding GW's complete ignorance of scientific principles, I am so sick of reading in BL books about people instantly freezing when ejected into space - this does not happen FFS, and I can't imagine why anyone would imagine it does! Space is vacuum, just like the vacuum in your thermos flask that insulates the coffee inside and keeps it hot! I'm about halfway through Battle For The Abyss now, and I must have read this same dribble in more than half the HH books so far.

Philip S
09-08-2010, 13:13
Oh that is terrible. That really makes me cringe
Why? Like all of 40K it can be explained away if you want - with a little imagination: My views on depleted deuterium (http://www.philipsibbering.com/WH40KRP/40K_7_AM_Depleted_Deuterium.shtml). ;)

Philip

Hunger
09-08-2010, 23:45
Hmm, Philip I clicked your link and read your ideas on the matter, but I have to say that puting it down to a naming convention, albeit a very well conceived and logically thought out one that exists for real, does not override the obviousness of the fact that there can be no doubt the term 'depleted deuterium' was coined by somebody in need of an exotic sounding real-world chemical who patently did not understand what he had written.

For those that do not know, or can't be bothered to read Philip's webpage, deuterium is a rarer isotope of common hydrogen, just as uranium-235 is a rarer isotope of uranium-238. When it is weaponised, U-238 is processed (enriched) into U-235, a more unstable version of the element necessary for instigating a nuclear meltdown. The reverse process is also possible, depleting isotopes of U-235 into the more stable version for armour piercing tank shells.

U-238 is still a radioactive element, and when granulated and packed into a shaped-charge the unstable nature of the substance causes it to collapse under heat and pressure, spraying the projection zone of the round with high-energy radiation that strips away and neuters some of the armour before the actual explosive blasts through the remainder and into whatever it was protecting. The more enriched the uranium is (the more U-235 present) the more lethal the effect - and we're talking a few percent U-235.

Hydrogen too can be enriched into its more unstable isotopes, or its isotopes depleted into its more common state, although why you would go to the trouble of depleting it is beyond me - it would be far easier to simply obtain some more common hydrogen. Every 13 year old chemistry student knows you can get hydrogen from just about anything that burns or fizzes in water.

However, the part that makes me cringe is not that depleting deuterium is pointless, its that neither deuterium nor hydrogen are radioactive, hence sticking any combination of their isotopes into the tip of a bullet or shell will not help you get through armour, and will in fact, just take up space you could have filled with something more destructive. The effect would be exactly the same if you filled the charge with tap water. Sadly, whoever invented depleted deuterium missed the only actual radioactive isotope of hydrogen by one neutron - tritium is in fact radioactive, though I'm very dubious about its practicality as an armour piercing agent - if it were better than uranium, we'd use it today.

Now, I know that 40K is not what they call 'hard' science fiction, but I am likewise not a scientist and yet I knew what deuterium was before I finished my GCSE's, and I understood that vacuum was in insulator when I was about 11, so I would expect that authors who write these things into their books would at least have the desire to check what they had written wasn't complete nonsense that could be pulled apart by schoolchildren before they published it.

Philip S
10-08-2010, 09:56
However, the part that makes me cringe is not that depleting deuterium is pointless, its that neither deuterium nor hydrogen are radioactive, hence sticking any combination of their isotopes into the tip of a bullet or shell will not help you get through armour, and will in fact, just take up space you could have filled with something more destructive.
I have a couple of ideas for this;
Hydrogen is used in fusion bombs (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclear_fusion), mostly Deuterium with a bit of Tritium. The Imperium already has melta bombs, and the bolter explosive could be a smaller version. It may be a bit powerful though which leads to this;
Hydrogen is used in Thyratron (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thyratron) a component used in proximity fuses (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proximity_fuses). Deuterium could be an upgraded version (for some unknown scientific reason, or a byproduct (use of waste?)). This would mean the 'core' of the Bolter is not referring to the explosive but the proximity fuse (mass reactive).
Either of these ideas can work, or a mix of the two. I prefer the second.

Philip

Iuris
10-08-2010, 10:23
Phil... hydrogen is used in ALL hydrocarbons... including the explosives :) Anyway, the depleted deuterium bit is really a very hard one to rationalize.

P.S. Fusion usually needs deuterium. If you deplete the deuterium, you get hydrogen that's NOT useful to form helium. ( 1P+,1N0 ) x2-> (2P+, 2N0). If I were the type, I'd say GW shot themselves into the foot, but I've long realized GW doesn't shoot but rather just runs around screaming with water pistols...

P.P.S. Not that hydrogen is a major compound of explosives, just present in many - mostly only a tiny bit is there in the explosive. You don't want hydrocarbon chains getting in the way of as many N=O elements...

Iuris
10-08-2010, 10:48
@Hunger

Broadly correct, but allow me to point out a few mistakes.

-enriched uranium means refined uranium - you take regular uranium, containing mostly U238 and a tiny bit of U235, and then you finely separate it, usually using gas centrifuges and similar, to remove the U238 until you are left with uranium rich in U235. You don't MAKE more U235, you just remove the U238 so more U235 is left. The removed U238 is then depleted uranium - since the "useful" U235 has been depleted from it and is used for non-fissile uses. I stress that this is just chemical (in preparation only, to make hexafluoride, since chemically, U235 and U238 are identical) and mass separation - nothing nuclear takes place.

-you can't make U235 from U238. You can, however, make Plutonium - Pu239. That's what breeder reactors do.

-if you use the Uranium to Hydrogen analogy, you'd get that depleted deuterium is just hydrogen. Or, if you give GW WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY more credit than I do, assume deuterium is mass produced somehow and that other isotopes like tritium are removed, leaving depleted deuterium. But I don't give GW that much credit.

yet I knew what deuterium was before I finished my GCSE's, and I understood that vacuum was in insulator when I was about 11, so I would expect that authors who write these things into their books would at least have the desire to check what they had written wasn't complete nonsense that could be pulled apart by schoolchildren before they published it
See? Way too much credit :)

Philip S
10-08-2010, 11:08
Anyway, the depleted deuterium bit is really a very hard one to rationalize.
Indeed, but that why it's fun.

P.S. Fusion usually needs deuterium. If you deplete the deuterium, you get hydrogen that's NOT useful to form helium.
No you don't, not according to me! Earlier link: Depleted Deuterium (http://www.philipsibbering.com/WH40KRP/40K_7_AM_Depleted_Deuterium.shtml)

Basically giving way too much credit ;)

Philip

Iuris
10-08-2010, 11:23
Well, I'm sure in Philverse, you'll string me up for a Heretic. Might I suggest a quiet cell somewhere out of the way, guarder by a few cute Sororitas candidates noted to have failed to uphold the acceptable moral standards to become full fledged sisters?

P.S. I'm reminded of Death's swing, as portrayed by mr. Terry Pratchett :)

Grand_Marshal_Kazan
10-08-2010, 12:08
I suppose that that could be a major export from Hiveworlds...

Hunger
10-08-2010, 12:29
@Hunger

Broadly correct, but allow me to point out a few mistakes.

-enriched uranium means refined uranium - you take regular uranium, containing mostly U238 and a tiny bit of U235, and then you finely separate it, usually using gas centrifuges and similar, to remove the U238 until you are left with uranium rich in U235. You don't MAKE more U235, you just remove the U238 so more U235 is left. The removed U238 is then depleted uranium - since the "useful" U235 has been depleted from it and is used for non-fissile uses. I stress that this is just chemical (in preparation only, to make hexafluoride, since chemically, U235 and U238 are identical) and mass separation - nothing nuclear takes place.

-you can't make U235 from U238. You can, however, make Plutonium - Pu239. That's what breeder reactors do.

-if you use the Uranium to Hydrogen analogy, you'd get that depleted deuterium is just hydrogen. Or, if you give GW WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY more credit than I do, assume deuterium is mass produced somehow and that other isotopes like tritium are removed, leaving depleted deuterium. But I don't give GW that much credit.

Thank you Iuris - they weren't mistakes, I think I tried to oversimplify it. As you quite rightly point out, depleting the U-235 does not convert it into U-238, it removes amounts of 235, leaving a higher percentage of 238.

Depleted deuterium is just a mixture of hydrogen and deuterium with a higher percentage of hydrogen, meaning that the term is stupid because depleting deuterium is undoubtedly a massive waste of time, and the balance of hydrogen to deuterium is totally irrelevant since neither has any armour piercing capability.

Phil, I love your musings on different aspects of 40K science, but in this case it seems too much like clutching at straws. The fact is that depleted deuterium is possibly the most riduculous invention I have come across yet, and I can buy into GW's explanation of las-bolts, melta weaponry and plenty of other stuff. DD just makes me shake my head and roll my eyes.

Philip S
10-08-2010, 13:15
Phil, I love your musings on different aspects of 40K science, but in this case it seems too much like clutching at straws.
All it means is the Ad-Mec can make isotopes of Hydrogen, and the refining processes use the same terminology as the refinement of Uranium (for consistency).

It's not that weird?

I think they would be able to make isotopes of Hydrogen as the Imperium makes great use of Plasma Engines.

Philip

Hunger
10-08-2010, 14:29
I'm not denying that you can make isotopes of hydrogen - it happens today, and is not a hugely complicated process. The issue is that for the following reasons there is absolutely no point in making those isotopes in relation to making AP bullets.

1) If you want a mixture with more 1H than 2H its a whole lot simpler just to add more 1H than to centrifuge out the 2H, because 1H is the most abundant element in the universe. Its like 'diluting' your glass of squash by laboriously removing the molecules of blackcurrant cordial to alter the concentration, when you could just add some water out the tap.

2) Its completely irrelevant how much 1H or 2H there is in the mixture, because neither has any armour piercing potential anyway. To continue the squash analogy, its like putting that squash you just 'depleted' into a hollow-tipped bullet and expecting it to help the bullet punch through armour plating.

I do agree with your naming convention, its not weird at all, it makes sense, and I'm sure if such a process existed in the Ad-Mech it would be named thus, however the naming of the process and classification of the products is a moot point because the whole idea of depleting deuterium to make armour piercing bolts is a total facepalm of an idea in the first place.

AndrewGPaul
10-08-2010, 14:43
Actually, depleted deuterium would have more 2H, not less. I really can't see any way in which the phrase makes sense. "Depleted uranium" refers to a uranium sample which has an unnaturally low amount of a certain isotope. Dueterium is the isotope; referring to it as being depleted is nonsense.

RanaldLoec
10-08-2010, 14:43
It's one of those flawed (and is this case childish) fan-fic extrapolations of established canon, just like Orks being able to pick up a stick off the ground, believing it to be a gun and shooting with it...

An ork would not waste his time shooting you with a stick he would simply bludgeon you to death with it then use it to scratch that hard to reach place then he would use it to display your half eaten head.

Philip S
10-08-2010, 14:45
I'm not denying that you can make isotopes of hydrogen - it happens today, and is not a hugely complicated process. The issue is that for the following reasons there is absolutely no point in making those isotopes.
I didn't know we did 'make' those isotopes? :p

1) If you want a mixture with more 1H than 2H its a whole lot simpler just to add more 1H than to centrifuge out the 2H, because 1H is the most abundant element in the universe.
If you want more Deuterium? Deuterium is the stuff (among others) that we want for fusion power - not plain old hydrogen.

2) Its completely irrelevant how much 1H or 2H there is in the mixture, because neither has any amour piercing potential anyway.
A fusion powered warhead (micro-nuke) would have armour penetrating explosive power - and my other idea as part of a proximity fuse (mass reactive bolt) may not have armour piecing power but it is relevant to the bolt.

Actually, depleted deuterium would have more 2H, not less. I really can't see any way in which the phrase makes sense. "Depleted uranium" refers to a uranium sample which has an unnaturally low amount of a certain isotope. Dueterium is the isotope; referring to it as being depleted is nonsense.
If you deplete Hydrogen of 2H and 3H you have depleted Hydrogen, if you then take the Enriched Hydrogen (2H and 3H) and deplete the 3H you have... depleted Hydrogen? That's 1H and 2H sharing the same name - which seems to be a bit confusing so why not call it deleted Deuterium? As in 'Deuterium depleted of Tritium'. I suppose you could call it double depleted?

:D

Philip

Hunger
10-08-2010, 15:00
Andrew and Philip, you both misunderstand:

'Depleted deuterium', were we to put it in parallel with depleted uranium, refers to a mixture of deuterium and hydrogen with less of the more unstable version, which is deuterium.

What you would have if you had more deuterium, would be 'enriched deuterium'.

I think I see what you're getting at now Philip - super-enriched deuterium, with a vastly higher percentage of deuterium (2H) than hydrogen (1H) would be known as 'weapons grade deuterium', if such a thing made any sense, however the mistake you're making is that it is tritium (processed from hydrogen and subsequently deuterium that is used in hydrogen bombs.

I'm sure someone else (Iuris?) will correct my terminology, but if you want fusion, you want tritium - enriched to weapons grade - and I'm not sure how you're going to achieve the enormous temp and pressure required to kick start a fusion reaction in the tip of a bullet.

Either way, depleted deuterium is still a mixture of 1H and 2H with more 1H that has come about by removing some 2H.

Iuris
10-08-2010, 15:51
Urgh. There is no official term depleted deuterium. The expression only means that it's deuterium that has been depleted of something. So, technically, Phil's rationalization could work. Of course, this tells us nothing.

However, we know it's a reference to depleted uranium, and as soon as we start following the analogy, it all goes to hell. Depleted uranium tips make sense - depleted deuterium don't. If they were fusion warheads, sure - but then, why call them depleted deuterium?

In the end, we all know what it's all about - if whoever wrote that bit were to see this thread, he'd laugh his pants off. And, I must say, mostly at Phil, for trying to roll with it :)

Me, I long ago censored the bit out of existence :) maybe it was a joke by an AdMech undergrad :)

AndrewGPaul
10-08-2010, 21:55
Andrew and Philip, you both misunderstand:

'Depleted deuterium', were we to put it in parallel with depleted uranium, refers to a mixture of deuterium and hydrogen with less of the more unstable version, which is deuterium.

No, what you would have is "depleted hydrogen". The confusion arises because only hydrogen, to my knowledge, has isotopes with their own names.

Hunger
11-08-2010, 10:43
Okay, fair point Andrew - although Phil's naming convention would certainly avoid the added confusion of referring to all mixes as some form of hydrogen...

I admire everyone's spirit for actually trying to discuss this most ridiculous of concepts on a serious level - part of me would like to email this conversation to someone at BL and see what they make of it.

Finn
11-08-2010, 10:54
True but biofuel needs time to rot to produce flammable methane, not taking a dump in a fuel tank.

Unless Papa Nurgle has infested the Imperium....sounds like he has!

AndrewGPaul
11-08-2010, 10:59
Okay, fair point Andrew - although Phil's naming convention would certainly avoid the added confusion of referring to all mixes as some form of hydrogen...

Well, if you refer to it as Deuterium-enriched Hydrogen, or purified/isolated Deuterium, you avoid confusion. On the other hand, laymans' terms are almost always insufficiently precise at the best of times anyway.

And now, back to running Leman Russ tanks on ****. :)

Hunger
11-08-2010, 11:02
I am so sick of reading in BL books about people instantly freezing when ejected into space

Oh dear, I'm almost at the end of Battle For The Abyss, having read some more last night, and it happened again!

Mr Dembski-Bowden sir, I know you're present on Warseer - please, please, please can you bring this matter up at the next BL meeting you attend? There is simply no reason why anybody would instantly freeze, shatter, or even get frostbite should they step out of the airlock without their spacesuit on. They wouldn't even need a woolly jumper.

Regards,

-Sensible Sci Fi Committee.

ashc
11-08-2010, 11:12
Oh dear, I'm almost at the end of Battle For The Abyss, having read some more last night, and it happened again!

Mr Dembski-Bowden sir, I know you're present on Warseer - please, please, please can you bring this matter up at the next BL meeting you attend? There is simply no reason why anybody would instantly freeze, shatter, or even get frostbite should they step out of the airlock without their spacesuit on. They wouldn't even need a woolly jumper.

Regards,

-Sensible Sci Fi Committee.

It's as simple as that (http://www.damninteresting.com/outer-space-exposure).

jsullivanlaw
12-08-2010, 17:47
I read in another thread that apparently a leman russ runs on the crew's biological waste?? c'mon if this is true its the silliest thing I've heard. Is this true and where did it come from??

' sir, target, 400 metres!!
Not now private! I'm curling one out in the fuel pipe!'

It's not that outlandish. Space marines eat their own poop with tubes in their helmets when they are on mission. That was in a short story about space wolves in let the galaxy burn. The imperials just like poop.

spetswalshe
12-08-2010, 18:40
I just cannot believe this has gone on for three pages.

Emperor's Grace
12-08-2010, 21:56
Actually some areas of the world (IRL) still use dried cow/local equivalent manure as a heat source for cooking.

There were articles a few years back about the difficulties of aid organizations convincing them to ferment it into gas instead (more fuel efficiency).

Iuris
13-08-2010, 10:23
It's not that outlandish. Space marines eat their own poop with tubes in their helmets when they are on mission. That was in a short story about space wolves in let the galaxy burn. The imperials just like poop.

You forgot that A) there are a few steps in between, so what they eat is processed poop and B) the real world concept of fertilizer means everyone does eat poop. After a few steps of processing.