PDA

View Full Version : GW tournaments and Models that dont exist.

gwarsh41
05-08-2010, 05:22
So I have heard a few times that GW tournaments allow conversions, but only if the product is from 40k or WHFB. I have been curious lately about units that dont have models. Specifically Thunderwolf cavalry. After seeing yet another amazing mini for TWC on a site, I started wondering if the only way to use them in a tounry is to use the GW wolves with marines on them.

Can anyone confirm or deny this?

Simo429
05-08-2010, 07:54
A lot of people said they used the Mr Dandy models at Ard Boyz and at the Siege of Terra at Warhammer World every wolf player had them

AndrewGPaul
05-08-2010, 08:33
As with every question like this, it depends on the event. You won't get one correct answer.

Thud
05-08-2010, 10:20
What are you talking bout? You're not gonna go out and buy five Canis models? :p

Dezartfox
05-08-2010, 10:23
I go to quite a few tournaments at warhammer world, and they're not THAT strict, my friend uses an ork army where all the trukks and BW's are made from plasticard with big toy wheels,

They don't like people modelling to an advantage though.. and they're pretty strict on valkyries...

Hunger
05-08-2010, 11:37
I think you need to look at this in context - GW do not like you using miniatures from other companies in their tournaments, because thats advertising for their competitors. However, using the odd component for a cool conversion is not going to get you banned - the idea is that the model is clearly recognizable as a GW figure, but thats not to say that every bit must be a GW bit.

The rule is to stop people playing in GW stores and at GW tournaments from deploying a pack of beautiful Heresy Blights and using them in place of GW's terrible Plaguebearers, thus showing people that there are better models out there, although to be honest I've done exactly this many times in-store and staff rarely notice or mind. Obviously if you have an army of Cadians and every model has a Pig Iron head, that sorta detracts from the GW aesthetic of the models, and they might take issue with that since its a pretty sweeping alteration right across the army.

As always, good modelling and painting will let you get away with more, because people are more willing to accept a nicely painted conversion featuring a Ral Partha sculpt with some GW weapons than if you simply plonk down a figure straight out of the box with a hastily applied undercoat. If in doubt, ask the store staff or tourney organisers before you're due to play.

gwarsh41
05-08-2010, 14:16
Ok, thanks for the heads up guys! I have been looking into investing more for TWC models and did not want to if there was a 100% at not being able to use them when I go to a tourney.

5 canis models? I need 10 mounts!

Gorbad Ironclaw
05-08-2010, 14:19
I've seen people use Happy Meal toys for Chaos Spawns at a GT in Warhammer World so I think that it's unlikely to be a problem in general, although you might get an individual who wants to make an issue out of whatever he can.

ashc
05-08-2010, 16:01
I've seen people use Happy Meal toys for Chaos Spawns at a GT in Warhammer World...

Ronald McDonald = Chaos Spawn.

It figures.

Stouty
05-08-2010, 16:28
Ronald McDonald = Chaos Spawn.

It figures.

Yes, yes it does. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hoIrB3k_teE)

Hunger
05-08-2010, 17:04
Ok, thanks for the heads up guys! I have been looking into investing more for TWC models and did not want to if there was a 100% at not being able to use them when I go to a tourney.

5 canis models? I need 10 mounts!

Just get ahold of any good looking, correctly sized wolf models - there are a million different miniatures companies out there who make wolf models. Wolves are pretty generic things across all miniatures companies, and GW wolves are not going to be drastically different from any other ones, so go ahead and buy ten for 2 from Budget Wolf Miniatures.com (I made that up, btw), and mount your blood claws on them.

GW can hardly complain if you use them in a store or GW tourney, eh? If the boss kicks up a fuss you just ask him to direct you to the shelf containing the GW wolves.

Bonzai
05-08-2010, 17:30
Yes, yes it does. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hoIrB3k_teE)

Ronald, the 5th Chaos god? Or Slaaanesh in disguise?

The Satyr
05-08-2010, 19:01
Yes, yes it does. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hoIrB3k_teE)Wow, Mcdonalds version of God hand from Berserk. I love it!

Zeroth
05-08-2010, 22:04
Or as a very skilled guy at our club did. Canis x 5 + Dremel = wonders. Got a squad with totally different poses, looking sweet!