PDA

View Full Version : Iho-Stick?

Eternus
05-08-2010, 10:23
Ok, I know that a Iho-Stick is basically a cigarette, but does anyone know where the term comes from? Is it just made up of is it an acutal term, or has it been adapted from a real term?

Cheers.

Hunger
05-08-2010, 10:43
I thought it was LHO (lho), rather than IHO (iho). I assume its just a made up substance, so GW can have its characters smoke in its stories but not advertise tobacco products (which would be illegal in most places).

Funny how they need to take steps to avoid censure on stuff like this, but still write about narcotics and bloodshed for gratification.

Eternus
05-08-2010, 11:18
I thought it was LHO (lho), rather than IHO (iho).

I have thought that as well, but much of the time you can't tell whether the print is with a lower case 'L' at the beginning, or a capital 'I'.

Scalebug
05-08-2010, 12:05
Funny how they need to take steps to avoid censure on stuff like this, but still write about narcotics and bloodshed for gratification.

Well, while depictions of tobacco-use is down in popular culture, it is really self-censorship, not anything by law forced on the publishers....

...and even then, in 40K calling it something else is really just sci-fi'ng it, like a lot of other stuff, for flavour.

In-universe, it is quite certainly not actual tobacco, and rather a extraterrestial or genetically designed plant, it seems "stronger" in depictions than real world cigarettes, while not outright cannabis style...

Askil the Undecided
05-08-2010, 13:15
It really depends on which Abnett books you read, as Abnett was (to my knowledge at least) the first to include Lho in-universe.

It seems to vary in apparent classification and effect between Tobacco and Cannabis with an attendant stigma similar to those of modern society.

Chaplain Dionitas
05-08-2010, 14:34
It is LHO. I'm sorry I can't remember what book I saw it in. I'm think it was one of the Gaunt books not sure. I used to think it was iho as well. Almost on par with the whole las vs. las debate hehehe.

Tarian
05-08-2010, 15:07
I always thought that Lho kinda sounds like Glow... not sure why, so I imagine it's from the "lit" end glowing.

spetswalshe
05-08-2010, 15:33
Dark Heresy has it as 'Lho', though I agree it is difficult to tell - just assume it's a lower-case l, rather than a capital I (like other drugs; amasec, morphia, that kind of thing).

I think it's just an attempt to make it sound futuristic; chances are Terran tobacco doesn't exist anymore, the name may have changed in the intervening millenium, a better xenofauna or constructed plant organism has been created, that kind of thing. It's easy to do with specific nouns - we have grox instead of cows - but bound to trip into problems sooner or later (cows don't appear, but apparently humans can recognise a bull symbol as such?). Best practice is to use 'generalised' names - grass, trees, bovinae - rather than actually refer to oak or hammerhead sharks.

Although cigars turn up quite a lot, and they're not referred to with the 'lho' appendage. Equally I'm pretty certain I've read about a pipe-smoker smelling of tobacco before.

Tonberry
05-08-2010, 15:40
Not sure what source I'm getting this from but in my head I think it's the leaf of the Lhotus plant, which is clearly lotus with an H?

Chem-Dog
05-08-2010, 15:59
Not sure what source I'm getting this from but in my head I think it's the leaf of the Lhotus plant, which is clearly lotus with an H?

Indeed, I'd always assumed that Lho was a plant or herb that was prepared in much the same way as a tobacco leaf and then smoked in a similar way.
It's kinda Asian sounding.

madprophet
05-08-2010, 21:42
LHO means Live Human Organs in healthcare jargon (I work for the dept. of health) and I like Lhotus plant - that's good.

L.H.O is Little Havana Overruns - a boutique brand of cigar originally from Cuba, now made in Miami with Nicaraguan tobacco. Hand-rolled with a triple cap. That's the only smoking-related Lho I know of.

Wyrmwood
06-08-2010, 01:54
I think it varies from author to author; perhaps they see it as censorship instead of 'futurefying' the word cigarette and decided to go against that, or they just think Lho Stick sounds stupid etc.

FabricatorGeneralMike
06-08-2010, 02:47
I'm just glad that my elysians and sisters can enjoy a smoke....just like me...:)

geeksquared
06-08-2010, 03:38
I always assumed it was another catchall term for smokable herbs with a relaxing narcotic effect. Like promethium is a generic term for hydrocarbon based combustible liquid. In a similar vein to the original question. If lho is analogous with tabacco then that would make obscura the equivalent of canabis but if DH is correct and lho is basically space canabis then what does that make obscura?

FabricatorGeneralMike
06-08-2010, 03:50
I always assumed it was another catchall term for smokable herbs with a relaxing narcotic effect. Like promethium is a generic term for hydrocarbon based combustible liquid. In a similar vein to the original question. If lho is analogous with tabacco then that would make obscura the equivalent of canabis but if DH is correct and lho is basically space canabis then what does that make obscura?

Obscura is a opiate deriviative, it nums the body and makes all the 'bad' go away. It's highly addictive and not avalable to the general public except as a illigal substance.

If you want to know what it does to you google in heroin or opiate and see what comes up.

chromedog
06-08-2010, 04:11
I agree.
I see Obscura as more of an opium-smoking thing than a cannabis thing.

Lho is more of a combination of tobacco and mary-jane. Something cheap-**** stoners smoke (the tobacco mix encourages more head-spins) and known locally as "mull". (Back in the 70s, when Paul McCartney was known for "Wings", and Mull of Kintyre was a cause of much mirth).

Amasec I see as analogous to Cognac or Armagnac. It has vintages and different subtleties in common.

Opium dens were quite the thing back in the day.

Opiates do a number on the endorphin production centres as well as the chemical highs.

Hunger
06-08-2010, 09:20
I agree.
I see Obscura as more of an opium-smoking thing than a cannabis thing.

Amasec I see as analogous to Cognac or Armagnac. It has vintages and different subtleties in common.

Here's my take on the various substances I know of in the 40K universe:

Lho is herbs/plants for a pleasant smoke, just like a regular cigarette (hehe, almost said fag there, forgot there were Americans here!), possibly with a slightly narcotic effect like a mild joint. Its possible to smoke lho throughout the day without noticing a significant effect. Stronger varieties with effects closer to weed are probably available.

If you're into obscura you're either a supremely wealthy noble wallowing in the opulence afforded by your lifestyle, or a gritty hive bottom scumbag whose obscura addiction is part and parcel of your criminal lifestyle.

Spook, slaught and anything that goes into 'combat drugs' are party drugs like MDMA and cocaine, but extremely powerful 40K grimdark versions that make you go berserk and kill everything within arms reach, rather than dance and grind your teeth.

Hallucinogen is derived from mushrooms, or possibly synthesised. Its effect is, much as the name suggests, hallucinogenic, producing a powerful trip like a box of good shrooms or a microdot.

Kalma is something like ketamine, a powerful powdered tranquiliser snorted by the sons and daughters of middle-class families at house parties.

Amasec is cognac, the finest brands probably cost the average man a month's wages for a bottle, and are to be savoured and discussed by nobles in the smoking room after a lavish meal, while every average household has a bottle of the more affordable stuff in the cupboard for special occasions.

Wildsnake is probably akin to drinking 15-20% rum or something, though it comes in 330ml lager bottles. I imagine its taste is something like tequila.

Second Best is probably like drinking 20p per can value brand Special Brew. Probably tastes like a mixture of lager and urine, and is served to you in a cracked glass that the barman cleaned with his t-shirt and a little spit.

Anything I've missed?

MagosHereticus
07-08-2010, 05:07
I think it's just an attempt to make it sound futuristic; chances are Terran tobacco doesn't exist anymore

i wouldnt be so sure, tabacco is a hardy and tenacious weed and unless the antismoking league of our own time mounts a worldwide campaign to wipe it out it will probably have been carried along with human colonists to the far corners of the galaxy

alternatively plants that produce toxic compounds to fend off herbivores are hardly unique looking at our own world and every habitable planet would probably produce something that has comparable effects on humans

chromedog
07-08-2010, 06:26
Don't forget, finding a chemical high is one thing that EVERY culture on this planet has done at some stage.

Whether it was alcohol, cannabis, tobacco, cocaine, opium/opiates, betel nut or whatever.

Humans in the 41st millennium aren't too different from humans now.

Scalebug
07-08-2010, 18:05
Imagine the After-School-special on the danger of using 'slaught and Spook...

Grimbad
07-08-2010, 18:33
i wouldnt be so sure, tabacco is a hardy and tenacious weed and unless the antismoking league of our own time mounts a worldwide campaign to wipe it out it will probably have been carried along with human colonists to the far corners of the galaxy

And, of course, Gunnery Sergeant Harker's blurb mentions that 'some men chew tobacco' (and he chews glass).

BaronDG
07-08-2010, 18:56
I had a bottle of second best one time. 3 year old irish whiskey for 5 pounds a bottle, from a small pakistani-owned place. Man, were we sick the day after...

I told my friend we should have gone for the lighter fluid instead!

From the Necromunda book I got the idea that wildsnake and such were strong liquor but the black library publications seemed to thing of it as a beer equivalent.

madprophet
08-08-2010, 01:13
In the Caiphas Cain books, one of the stormtroopers has something called a cheroot stick filled with crushed tabac leaves. I assume tabac is tobacco and a cheroot stick is a tightly rolled cigarette (a slim or an old style Russian filter-less cigarette, perhaps?)

That does leave open what a Lho stick is - perhaps a small cigar (keeping with the Little Havana Overrun origin of the term lho?)

N0-1_H3r3
08-08-2010, 01:54
I assume... ...a cheroot stick is a tightly rolled cigarette (a slim or an old style Russian filter-less cigarette, perhaps?)
Actually, Cheroot (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cheroot) is a real term; it's a form of cigar.

madprophet
08-08-2010, 02:03
Actually, Cheroot (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cheroot) is a real term; it's a form of cigar.

Fair play to you! I missed that one. But it is described as being very thin and tightly rolled - more like a slim cigarette, but who knows.

Wyrmwood
08-08-2010, 05:22
Fair play to you! I missed that one. But it is described as being very thin and tightly rolled - more like a slim cigarette, but who knows.

This (http://www1.american.edu/TED/images4/cigar.gif) may be more along the lines of what the author meant.

Vikingkingq
08-08-2010, 17:16
In the Caiphas Cain books, one of the stormtroopers has something called a cheroot stick filled with crushed tabac leaves. I assume tabac is tobacco and a cheroot stick is a tightly rolled cigarette (a slim or an old style Russian filter-less cigarette, perhaps?)

That does leave open what a Lho stick is - perhaps a small cigar (keeping with the Little Havana Overrun origin of the term lho?)

If "tabac" exists as a separate entity, then lho probably isn't tabac.
Here's what we know about lho (using the more comprehensive descriptions from Dark Heresy):
- "a scented, mildly narcotic (and addictive) plant derived substance" that is normally smoked.
- "lho can be injected or applied via dermal patch. The substance gets into the user's system, causing the same distinctive scent as the smoked variety, though of lesser intensity. The subject will enter a very relaxed state for 2d5 x 5 minutes." Labeled as a Psychotropic.

Now that doesn't suggest tobacco to me - I've never heard of anyone injecting tobacco, and tobacco isn't particularly psychotropic. Rather, it seems like some futuristic space-weed, since I've never heard of anything injected/patched causing a scent.

Askil the Undecided
08-08-2010, 17:39
Now that doesn't suggest tobacco to me - I've never heard of anyone injecting tobacco, and tobacco isn't particularly psychotropic. Rather, it seems like some futuristic space-weed, since I've never heard of anything injected/patched causing a scent.

A metabolic byproduct of the drug perhaps? Like people who stink of booze after a hard night on the town due to "sweating it out" many drugs and chemicals do this.

madprophet
08-08-2010, 20:18
If "tabac" exists as a separate entity, then lho probably isn't tabac.
Here's what we know about lho (using the more comprehensive descriptions from Dark Heresy):
- "a scented, mildly narcotic (and addictive) plant derived substance" that is normally smoked.
- "lho can be injected or applied via dermal patch. The substance gets into the user's system, causing the same distinctive scent as the smoked variety, though of lesser intensity. The subject will enter a very relaxed state for 2d5 x 5 minutes." Labeled as a Psychotropic.

Good summary - sounds like cured Scotch Broom (Cytisus scoparius) or Calamus (Acorus calamus) - although Calamus has a limited shelf-life.

It might be something like Lobelia (Lobelia inflata) which is a natural tranquilizer and is used in many "stop smoking" products but if taken in a large enough dose can cause euphoria and a distinct "high". There is also Salvia Divinorum, a member of the Sage family that is also a powerful narcotic.

And of course, everyone's favorite smoking herb, Canibis.

Lobelia is rendered into liquids and is used in patches already, if used straight (most lobelia preparations are cut with inert ingredients because it is a pretty powerful drug) is would be capable of getting someone high.

I am speaking academically, of course, I have no personal experience with any of these herbs :eyebrows:

baphomael
08-08-2010, 20:50
Wildsnake is probably akin to drinking 15-20% rum or something, though it comes in 330ml lager bottles. I imagine its taste is something like tequila.

I'd have taken Wildsnake to be something like a can of Tennant's "Super-T" or Carlsberg 'Special Brew' - a dirty, strong, brew for alcoholics (not like the a refined Trappist beer, of equal potency but...y'know, not dirty).

Second Best...well...thats just *really* dirty and beyond our understanding of 'dirtiness' ;)

Askil the Undecided
08-08-2010, 21:52
I'd have taken Wildsnake to be something like a can of Tennant's "Super-T" or Carlsberg 'Special Brew' - a dirty, strong, brew for alcoholics (not like the a refined Trappist beer, of equal potency but...y'know, not dirty).

Second Best...well...thats just *really* dirty and beyond our understanding of 'dirtiness' ;)

Two words: Kestrel Super.

It actualy tastes like there's a dead kestrel in every can.

massey
09-08-2010, 03:51
Wildsnake and Second Best are the future's equivalent of Wild Turkey, Boone's Farm, Ripple, Nattie Light, Schlitz, or Colt 45. Whatever actual type of alcohol they may be, the most important thing is that they are cheap.

Slaught is probably closer to PCP than anything else.

Hunger
09-08-2010, 11:44
Good point, I left PCP off the list, although its not something I know a great deal about.

x-esiv-4c
09-08-2010, 11:53
I seem to remember the White Dwarf that introduced the Confrontation game, had a great description about all the different 40k "drugs".