PDA

View Full Version : Black Library getting into Ebooks

Sikkukkut
05-08-2010, 12:14
Announced on their site here (http://www.blacklibrary.com/Digital).

Details are forthcoming but they talk about releasing in Mobi and ePub (the Kindle format and the more general one the Nook, Kobo etc use respectively) and the audio books will be available for download as well. They'll start releasing in October although they haven't said which titles yet.

marv335
05-08-2010, 12:22
Not a bad idea, eBooks are increasing in popularity.
I read that Amazon sales of eBooks have overtaken hardbacks.

gunmonkey
05-08-2010, 14:40
Well at least 1 arm of GW is embracing the modern age.

gwarsh41
05-08-2010, 15:50
Well at least 1 arm of GW is embracing the modern age.

I know, the CG graphics in the instruction manuals are soooo old school.;)

Pacorko
05-08-2010, 16:19
Well, yes. They should be using full colour photographs of the actual models in them!

:p

Nice thing, really. I hope BL offers their wares at a price that's reasonable, I mean... they are saving on the printing process and these are re-releases, so...

All in all, a nice bit of news.

ashc
06-08-2010, 07:29
This is a good move, its the way forward and its nice to see a branch of GW being relatively pro-active for a change.

Korras
06-08-2010, 07:39
great news. my collection of books just isn't funny. I've stuffed them away in boxes now, because there's simply so much of them. most books I get nowadays, are ebooks. half a MB large, so they only take up a fraction of harddisk space.

if Black Library decides to make some of their older books ebooks too, then I might just be prompted to buy them. :)

blongbling
06-08-2010, 08:15
This is a good move, its the way forward and its nice to see a branch of GW being relatively pro-active for a change.

that's cos George, who runs BL, is switched on and is in tune with his customers

scarletsquig
06-08-2010, 18:38
Nice move, hopefully this will eventually lead to GW offering their rules and army books in a digital format... the amount of stuff we have to lug around in addition to the army case is not funny, especially for 8th edition warhammer at the moment.

The prices on e-readers are coming down quite quickly, the new kindle's about 100 and looks way better than the last one.

ashc
06-08-2010, 19:27
that's cos George, who runs BL, is switched on and is in tune with his customers

What, and you are telling me Tom Kirby is not? :angel:

RobC
06-08-2010, 20:35
they are saving on the printing process and these are re-releases, so...Printing costs pennies. A typical mass-market paperback costs less than a quid to print, even with decent quality paper and nice binding.

Most of the cost of producing a book is in the stuff that happens before it hits the shelves; let's not assume an e-book should be significantly cheaper than its paper equivalent.

ICEMANQ
06-08-2010, 21:17
Not a bad idea, eBooks are increasing in popularity.
I read that Amazon sales of eBooks have overtaken hardbacks.

Wouldn't be hard :p Hardbacks suck, and more expensive and for most retailers you can't return them to the supplier when they don't sell! At least here in NZ I know its like that - I work part time for a chain bookstore and we aren't allowed to return hardbacks, suppliers don't want them back.

Cool fact: Most suppliers just destroy the books that are returned, unless they can be bothered flogging them off to a discount book fair or something.

scarletsquig
06-08-2010, 22:37
Most of the cost of producing a book is in the stuff that happens before it hits the shelves; let's not assume an e-book should be significantly cheaper than its paper equivalent.

A women asked Picasso to paint her portrait.

15 minutes later, the portrait was complete, and Picasso asked for $5000 in payment.

"Why?" the women exclaimed. "It only took you 15 minutes!"

"No" replied Picasso. "It took me a lifetime".

Apply that thought to novels and it's soon clear that the paper is not important, but the words are. Good books by a skilled author are worth it regardless of the medium they're delivered in. :)

Brother Siccarius
07-08-2010, 07:31
I know, the CG graphics in the instruction manuals are soooo old school.;)

And 3D printing was soooo 80s, right?

Cool fact: Most suppliers just destroy the books that are returned, unless they can be bothered flogging them off to a discount book fair or something.

As I recall "destroy" tended to mean "Rip off the cover and shove into backpack".

Nice move, hopefully this will eventually lead to GW offering their rules and army books in a digital format... the amount of stuff we have to lug around in addition to the army case is not funny, especially for 8th edition warhammer at the moment.

The prices on e-readers are coming down quite quickly, the new kindle's about 100 and looks way better than the last one.

I think I just heard millions of torrenters laughing manically.

Charax
07-08-2010, 12:23
I am very pleased that BL is embracing digital products. Wonder why the only devices on their announcement page are Apple products though, especially when they specifically mentioned the Kindle (even though Mobi isn't "the Kindle format", .azw is.)

Still, very vague announcement:
What books will be available?
Umm...we're not sure yet
What format will they be in?
Probably Mobi and ePub.
Where will we be able to buy them?
Not confirmed yet

With that many unknowns you almost wonder why they bothered with a FAQ in the first place

I think I just heard millions of torrenters laughing manically.
*shrugs* It's not like the majority of GW and BL's output isn't pirated anyway.

narrativium
07-08-2010, 12:39
Charax: I noticed the Apple thing. Apparently it's not pro-Apple so much as legal restrictions against displaying images of other devices, such as the Kindle.

And they bothered with the FAQ because those are FAQ... there's an answer on the website. They get enough people nudging them on Facebook asking when they're going to do eBooks, so now there's something to look at on their website. It's more helpful than "wait and see" or "watch this space", anyway.

Grimstonefire
07-08-2010, 16:46
Whilst I think this is good, they really should look into making all their titles available on print-on-demand services.

Combined with ebooks it would really boost the sale of their out of print titles for very little cost.

@Charax

Not that I would search for such things of course, ;) but I have never noticed a pirated black library book pdf.

narrativium
07-08-2010, 20:16
Grimstonefire: you know they are bringing out-of-print titles back as print-on-demand, right? They have been since Spring. It's just a matter of how soon each book gets attention.

The Ape
07-08-2010, 21:26
but I have never noticed a pirated black library book pdf.

They are out there, you clearly haven't looked hard enough... :shifty:

I much prefer an old fashioned book to be honest. Don't have to worry about the battery running out on a long journey or if you drop it in the bath, it's not as big a waste of money :angel:

Having said that, I can certainly see the attraction of ebooks-storage space is the biggest factor and the main thing that would get me to buy them.

TheBigBadWolf
08-08-2010, 10:57
I much prefer an old fashioned book to be honest. Don't have to worry about the battery running out on a long journey or if you drop it in the bath, it's not as big a waste of money :angel:.

Pretty much my feelings, I have no interest in ebooks, much more interested in BLs print on demand service.

RobC
12-08-2010, 14:18
Christian Dunn's revealed more information on the forthcoming digital-only e-mag:

http://z6.invisionfree.com/bljunkies/index.php?showtopic=1746