PDA

View Full Version : Help vs Lizardmen (as Bretts)

DataThrust
05-08-2010, 13:58
So, played a game against a friends lizardmen today, 1200ish point templeguard bunker (slann, gorrok, templeguard,etc). Struggling to come up with reliable ways to deal with it. Large quantities of TG, all manner of lore of life buffs from the slaan, since most spells are doable on 1dice(+freedice). Cannot simply ignore it, due to it being more than half of his army, and thus losing VPs if doing so, cannot out magic him due to free dice (Rumination), and no 6s for magic (Becalming Cogitation). Two scrolls (scroll/silvermirror) might help somewhat, as it shuts down the key buffs (4+regen/t8) for a turn, thus allowing trebuchets to take out a largish chunck, assuming the dice are feeling nice.
However, looking for a somewhat more concrete solution to dealing with such a unit, probably something obvious I am overlooking.

ewar
05-08-2010, 17:16
Powerscroll suicide Damsel - it's a rubbish tactic but might pay off. A single dwellers below will take out 1/3 of the unit, a treb hit or two should be able to do a lot of damage as well.

Once they are down to 10 models or so, a combined charge will really hurt them, just use some of your own powerdice to dispel Throne of Vines (it's only 8+ RIP) instead of casting and that will make their toughness more manageable in the turn you charge. Flaming banner for 10pts is also very good as will negate regen, stick it on a big unit of grails and they should make a mess of the TG.

Just don't rush into combat, take your time to whittle the unit down as much as possible before engaging - then when you do, hit it with everything you can to make sure it's smashed.

An alternative is to just play an avoidance strategy - use your speed to go for the rest of the army and ignore them aside from continual shooting.

Oh, and take 2 trebs if you've got them - they're awesome.

diggerydoom
05-08-2010, 17:24
Once they are down to 10 models or so, a combined charge will really hurt them, just use some of your own powerdice to dispel Throne of Vines (it's only 8+ RIP) instead of casting and that will make their toughness more manageable in the turn you charge. Flaming banner for 10pts is also very good as will negate regen, stick it on a big unit of grails and they should make a mess of the TG.

Although if you dispel throne of vines when Flesh to Stone is in play the toughness boost remains at +4. It does not reduce.

Also as a lizard player myself watch out for salamaders torching your knights-only strength 3 but -3 to save, flamer templates are amazing

Malorian
05-08-2010, 21:15
Doesn't Gorrok only effect you if you are attacking him? (taking away charging bonus's)

Assuming I'm right I would just hit them fast and hard, wipe out the temple guard, and run him down.

A few treb shoots to weaken it wouldn't hurt either.

Trains_Get_Robbed
05-08-2010, 21:24
Kill enough T.G so that you can just fly a Peg unit in behind the Slann unit and then charge the Slanns rear and attack the Slann. Take Virtue of Heroism on a Lord/Hero model and run him into anything big and will easliy make his points back.