PDA

View Full Version : Archmage Lore of Life Seerstaff, which 4 do you pick?

Zaszz
05-08-2010, 15:04
So if you were playing an infantry heavy HE army, where all your troops are expensive, fragile, but good at killing, which 4 spells would you pick with your life mage?

I can't decide if it should be:

Throne
Toughness
Regrowth
Regeneration

or

Throne
Toughness
Regrowth
Dwellers Below

In the first set I can park her with forliaths robe in one elite unit and give it regen saves, while the neighboring unit can get toughness, then I have regrowth for whatever does die, and throne to power me up and protect against miscasts.

The other does the same but with no regen for one of the units, instead however you get Dwellers Below capable of wrecking serious damage against most troops.

So the question is which would you rather run in this circumstance?

Tarian
05-08-2010, 15:10
I'd take Dwellers, since HE need to be able to inflict damage with their magic I think. Kinda hard to deal with hordes sometimes when all those attacks come hit T3 5+ elves..

cyberspite
05-08-2010, 15:15
The second choice. Although dwellers doesn't directly save any of your elves, it can save them indirectly by weakening enemy units.

Also the fear factor of just having the spell could make it easier to get the others through.

CmdrLaw
05-08-2010, 15:19
Meh all the spells are good in life so why bother with the seerstaff...take more powerful arcane item, seerstaff is good for a lvl 1-2 not an archmage.

WarhammerNoob4ever
05-08-2010, 15:20
I think drop the seerstaff and get silver wand and then you dont have to make the choice.....

as the odds are you will get the 5 spells u want anyways

Von Wibble
05-08-2010, 15:42
But silver wand works much better on a low level wizard. As there is only 1 lore of life spell I don't like (thorns), I do agree with the previous 2 comments not to bother with seerstaff, but I would take the annulian crystal instead, or the staff of solidity.

And if I want damage spells I wouldn't be picking lore of life, therefore my preference is for the regeneration spell. Take a low level wizard with lore of fire, death or metal, or stick teh ring of fury on a model if you want damage.

Trains_Get_Robbed
05-08-2010, 20:38
Better question. . . "Why should my Archmage justifbly have the Seerstaff?" or better yet "Why does my Archmage not have the Book of Hoeth/'Unkillable' mage get out with Channeling Rod/Jewel of Dusk/Silver Wand (risky)?"

WarhammerNoob4ever
05-08-2010, 20:42
But silver wand works much better on a low level wizard. As there is only 1 lore of life spell I don't like (thorns), I do agree with the previous 2 comments not to bother with seerstaff, but I would take the annulian crystal instead, or the staff of solidity.

And if I want damage spells I wouldn't be picking lore of life, therefore my preference is for the regeneration spell. Take a low level wizard with lore of fire, death or metal, or stick teh ring of fury on a model if you want damage.

tru, silver wand does work better on lower lvl mage.... if im only taking an archmage, then i dont have a low lvl mage to give it too..... for 10 pts, it gives the archmage a really good boost with a lot fo points left to give him def (robe/4++)

but ya, the books r fairly hard to pass up.... hello mini-teclis/+5 to cast +6 to dispel

gork or maybe mork
06-08-2010, 18:28
dwellers over regen, because the archmage has to be in the unit (and thus more vulnerable) for the regen spell to work.

DragonPrince93
06-08-2010, 22:52
Dwellers below definitely. I see more and more chaos players running 40 to 50 muarders and 20 warriors. Getting it off will kill an average of 20-25 muarders and 3-4 chaos warrios, which is an achiement in itself. I feel regen is not too great because i always stick my mage in a full block of spearmen so if my opnent gets fixated on them then T7 elves are not too easy to beat. especially getting 21 attacks even at str 3!

Trains_Get_Robbed
07-08-2010, 00:12
21 s3 attacks won't do anything against that is T4. Not to metion that most T4 things have at least a +5 save, more likley a +4 though and thus the spear block is going to kill very few if any at all depending on how luck is.

Temakador
07-08-2010, 00:17
you can only regen on the unit the mage is in and most HE players myself inclueded would put the mage a unit of PG to reduce miscast dmg and because PG are a good anvil unit so regen is useless here