PDA

View Full Version : Starting High elves- 2,000 points.

Theblackdwarf
05-08-2010, 17:14
This is my rough list when i start High elves for 8th edition. New to the intricacies of elves so the list wont be perfect im sure :p Comments from more experience Asur players appreciated:

LORDS

Archmage- 270 points

W/ Level 4 and silver wand.

HEROES

Mage- 175 points

W/ Level two and starwood staff.

Noble (BSB)- 198 points

w/ Banner of the world dragon, lance, dragon armour, shield and mounted on barded elven steed.

CORE

20 Lothern sea guard- 285 points

W/ Full command.

20 Lothern sea guard- 260 points

20 Spearmen- 205 points

SPECIAL

5 Dragon princes of Caledor- 200 points

W/ Full command.

15 Swordmasters of Hoeth- 335 points

W/ Full command and Banner of sorcery

RARE

Repeater bolt thrower- 100 points

Zaszz
05-08-2010, 18:25
Which lores were you considering? I would take either shadow for offense, toughness hexes for your enemies, strength augments for your self, or Life for defense, augments, regrwoth, etc.

I don't play without eagles anymore they are effective at killing war machines, and can absorb a fair ammount of fire away from your units while only costing 50 points.

I don't like sea guard they are too expensive, a basic spear unit seems better to me.

Your general is defensless, a single failed look out sir, or a combat you were not ready for means you will need to flee or have her die as a reaction :/ I would consider Forliaths robe or you can go guardian phoenix. If you go Life you can try to get away with it assuming you will have regeneration up but that is an IF.

Your noble is pretty expensive for these points, consider a different banner, also he will be denied look out sir roles in a unit of only 5 guys fairly often, so be careful.

In summation I would:

1. Change seaguard into spears
2. Cheapen your Noble
3. Buy defense for your general
4. Buy eagles
5. Consider expanding your heavy cav unit to better protect your noble

Theblackdwarf
05-08-2010, 20:20
Thanks for the reply.

1.) Making the list sort of from what im getting in Island of blood. That and i like the Sea guard as a unit idea even if they arent as cost effective as spearmen. The duel shooting/combat role for me justifies the negligible points difference.

2.) Fair point. It is an expensive banner i concur, i was wary of the effectiveness of magic in 8th edition as most of the offensive spells could easily take out the dragon princes in one fell swoop. Not sure if any of the other banners would offer much. i will look into a way to free up some points.

3.) Granted, though ive seen a lot of people run archmages with the same lack of defense. I'll consider it but id hope the swordmasters could bear the brunt of any combats.

4.) DETEST eagles. I have never seen one used to any effect during a game. Kudos if you haven the ability to get the most out of them but with my dwarfs ive found them so easy to down before they become even a vague resemblance of a threat. Im simply not willing to drop the bolt thrower for them, they're too much of an unknown quantity whereas the bolt thrower is reliable enough.

5.) Agreed. Im not happy with this size unit in 8th ed. just need to look for ways to shave points so i can at least get another couple in.

P.S Was going for Life on the archmage. Perhaps High on the level 2 to buff the sea guard (arrow attraction/shield of saphery) but considering giving him shadow to give me an offensive magic kick.

Thanks for the comments anyway!

DragonPrince93
06-08-2010, 03:05
I agree about switching the sea guared to spearmen but i would change the nobles banner to sorcerry, dragon princes are completely immune to spells from the lore of fire and metal so the only thing you really have to worry about is anoter life user and a horrible dwellers below. i would give your archmage seerstaff so your guarented throne of vines flesh to stone regrowth and dwellers below.

id give your noble a great weapon cause he"ll always go first no matter what and always being str 6 really helps. The banner of sorcerry will give you an averege of nine dice which is a throne of vines and flesh to stone plus a dwellers below on the turns needed and a regrowth if yo ever get hit really badly. And if you get shot really badly with the banner of world dragon you have no way to regrow your fallen princes. If you change the lothern sea guard to spear men then youll have enoug points to put two more princes and give the great weapon. Then with the extra points add a couple spearmen.

These are just suggestions from games ive played. Rolled through dark elves and other high elves and go blow for blow with chaos but i hate fighting chaos!

Rolf
06-08-2010, 07:37
[QUOTE=Theblackdwarf;4888246]Thanks for the reply.

4.) DETEST eagles. I have never seen one used to any effect during a game. Kudos if you haven the ability to get the most out of them but with my dwarfs ive found them so easy to down before they become even a vague resemblance of a threat. Im simply not willing to drop the bolt thrower for them, they're too much of an unknown quantity whereas the bolt thrower is reliable enough.

I use to think the same till I use a couple to fill up points, and discovered they were suprisingly good. Two eagles opperating as a pair are fantastic and taking out warmachines and small units. There also good at worrying units with flank charges.

EbonhartLegions
06-08-2010, 07:54
warrning: just starting to play HE myself only seen them played and read the stuff here.

my suggestion would be to change one unit of seaguard to spears, you only get one or 2 shots in before they get charged most of the time (unless your up against another shooting group, then you get screwed by their shorter range).

eagles are considered more effective than bolt throwers in this addition, if you don't like eagles drop the bolt thrower and put the points in to your special slots or more points into your lords and heroes as nothing says FU like more dragon princes.