PDA

View Full Version : chaos warhounds?

metallegion
03-03-2006, 13:55
I'm thinking of doing a Chaos Army with lots of Warhounds.

How good would that preform?

List would be..

Mounted Sorc.

2 units of 5 knights
2 beatigor chariots
and about 20 war hounds

I'm thinking of adding another unit of either warriors.. but they maybe too slow... or a DoW calvary unit.. for a rare slot.

Opions welcome. Thanks.

spawn
03-03-2006, 14:53
Hi,

Before I start ranting about what you could do, how big do you want the army to be? 1000 pts? 2000? 5000? (you can field lots of dogs in there!) or something in between?

I think I can come up with an idea or two..

MarcoPollo
03-03-2006, 22:12
The problem with warhounds is their pansy leadership. So you have to be careful how you deploy them. I try to use atleast 10 in my chaos army and would prefer to use 20 but I have other things that I want to include.

There are alot of combos with warhounds, the staff of Darkoth is excellent. You can ambush with them, screen more expensive troops and provide speed bumps and decoys for those nasty scary units.

Also, you can IIRC, put characters with this unit. The statistics at first glance can be astounding. The problem is that they can also be a distraction to your own army. They can get in the way of the harder hitting cavalry and slow moving infantry. Never the less, at 30 pts for a block of 5 you can't go wrong.

If I was going to use a lot of dogs, I would want a lot of skirmisher (bestigors) to get around them as well as some chariots and flyers so that the movement phase can be totally dominated.

Imagine, 2 blocks of 15 hounds with a heavy characcter on a horse each!

Neknoh
04-03-2006, 07:03
You can throw an Exalted Champion on a Barded Steed with some nasty weapon in with them (I prefer the Hallberd, works a treat when it commes making sure noone hits the doggies).

And when I say "them" I mean a unit of 20+ doggies, they do have US 2 and are simply mean when they have a static CR of 4 and attacks something unarmoured, a unit like that costs arround 230 points.

Bortus
04-03-2006, 18:41
Great for screening and talking about directing traffic vs. Khorne armies or anything frenzied for that matter. I always use them in my Undivided army in a unit of no less than 12 depending on what I'm playing against but I think for me it seems to really fit in with the whole evil mortal thing you know? Anyway that's me.

sulla
05-03-2006, 02:59
I'm thinking of doing a Chaos Army with lots of Warhounds.

How good would that preform?

List would be..

Mounted Sorc.

2 units of 5 knights
2 beatigor chariots
and about 20 war hounds

I'm thinking of adding another unit of either warriors.. but they maybe too slow... or a DoW calvary unit.. for a rare slot.

Opions welcome. Thanks.

I wouldn't. Dogs are very fragile to shooting and can't recieve charges at all either. Perhaps if you split one of those units into smaller charge blockers and gave the big unit a character for leadership?

MarcoPollo
05-03-2006, 23:11
I always use mine in 5 model units. I use them to direct traffic too and use them a speed bumps for their big nasty units. Anything else is a bonus.

Sambojin
06-03-2006, 13:43
Lots of doggies also gives you the ability to lay down alot of units in the deployment phase, drawing out the enemies most powerful units and allowing you to counter them. Its also good to have a fair few screens when you're chaos, just make sure they dont block your charges (you have to remember the 1 turn lag that you need to remove your screen).

If you're thinking of going lots of dogs, buy goblin wolf riders. You get 10 to a box, and you can start a goblin army as well. You could even use them as ogla khans wolf boys in your chaos army to bulk up your points.

yarrickson
08-03-2006, 12:01
I find that the chaos hounds are next to useless, i've tried little flanking and rear charging units, great big units with characters and everything in between. They have essentially the same stats as a giant rat? which is rubbish. Their only redeeming feature isunit strength 2 which can help you outnumber when they are added to whatever else you ahve charged in. (the dogs should never ever charge anything, even artillery (esp. Dwarfs) alone)

Just because i cant get them to work doesnt mean you wont though.

(Oh yeah and 4 units of 5 sneaking about in tournament games does almost guarantee that you will at least contest 4 table quarters. Heh Heh