PDA

View Full Version : 8TH EDITION - Dispel Scroll Question

eagletsi1
05-08-2010, 19:48
Ok.

I'm looking at a list of someone I played last night. He had two arcane items, Dispel Scroll and Staff of Miscast stopping (Something like that).

Anyway can he do this in the 8th edition I thought you couldn't take 2 arcane items and now a dispel scroll counted as one, whereas in the 7th it didn't?

Don't have the book, can someone point me to a page or explain this?

Thanks,

Jetty Smurf
05-08-2010, 20:09
As long as they weren't on the same character, it's fine.

Arcane items are 1 EACH per army, but each wizard character can take their own single arcane item.

eagletsi1
05-08-2010, 20:17
They were on the Same Arch Mage. I thought I was correct, but didn't want to argue about it, so I let it go.

DarthBinky
06-08-2010, 02:06
Your opponent is probably still stuck on the 7th Ed rules, which did allow what he did. But it appears the days of of the "scroll caddy" are now but a memory- unless he's got an army book that says otherwise (but I just checked my Empire, HE and WOC books, and none of them say otherwise; hopefully the rest are similarly written).

DarthStewie
06-08-2010, 12:32
Dwarfs can still have a scroll caddy! The only restriction is the 3 runes rule.

Mr_Rose
06-08-2010, 15:13
Dwarfs can still have a scroll caddy! The only restriction is the 3 runes rule.
And the "no duplicate items" rule.
So you can have a runelord with three spellbreaker runes, a thane with two and another with one, then you can start again by adding other runes, so you can have runelords with two dispel runes and one of each talisman rune, and so on. I haven't actually done the calculations but I'm pretty sure the upper limit, points notwithstanding, is in the hundreds.

DarthBinky
06-08-2010, 15:59
Stupid Dwarfs! ;)

babyberg31
06-08-2010, 16:04
yeah... I would love to see all the dwarf leader cursing their dispel runes when facing a pure Khorne-daemon army...

stripsteak
06-08-2010, 16:32
i'm getting 55.
there are 6 master runes that are limited to 1 per army and one is kingship which can only go on a dwarf lord and a dwarf lord can't take spellbreakers, so that only allows you to do the master rune + 2xspellbreaker once for each other one so that gives you 10 starting out.

there are then only 6 runes left to interweave with spellbreakers. so to double spellbreaker that gives you 6 combinations + the triple breaker
15 (12+3)

so total 25 so far

while still at 3 runes; we double up the other runes and leave us with a single breaker, order matters so it's 6C2 = 15 combinations
total 46. *edit* +6 more for doubleing up on single runes, ie breaking+furnace+furnace *edit*

single rune + single other rune is just 7 more combinations (one of each normal rune, and one double breaker)
8 more for 54

then just a single breaker...55 runes

*edit*
for some other numbers it's 2830 points in just runes alone and it'll take 41 characters to do, 13 need to be lord level...it'll take a 14180 point game to fit everything in, and you'll have some spare Lord allowance

Jetty Smurf
06-08-2010, 19:05
Stripsteak, that is awesome!

What would be the minimum points requirement for this to become a legal list?

I don't know how much dwarven characters cost, otherwise I would work this out myself.

Eagletsi1 - Yeah, just make a friendly reminder to your friend about the new rules which state that he needs a new char for each arcane item he wants to take in his list. Also that dispel scrolls are part of this limit, and that this is a new change in 8th.

chivalrous
06-08-2010, 20:08
(and in the case of master rune of kingship only 1 spellbreaker stupid lord point limit)

The problem is that only a Dwarf Lord can take the Master Rune of Kingship and only a Runesmith/Runelord can take a Rune of Spellbreaking.

sorberec
06-08-2010, 21:28
Ok.

I'm looking at a list of someone I played last night. He had two arcane items, Dispel Scroll and Staff of Miscast stopping (Something like that)

Was he using Teclis by any chance?

Teclis has 2 arcane items - War Crown of Saphery which means he ignores his first miscast each turn, and the Scroll of Hoeth which is like a dispel scroll only you also roll a dice and if Teclis' owner rolls higher then the other caster cannot use the spell for the rest of the game.

If not, then the other person was cheating.

stripsteak
06-08-2010, 21:48
The problem is that only a Dwarf Lord can take the Master Rune of Kingship and only a Runesmith/Runelord can take a Rune of Spellbreaking.

ah don't play dwarfs missed that. it drops the number by one. thanks updating post above.

What would be the minimum points requirement for this to become a legal list?

updated post above with total points needed, and corrections thanks to chivalrous