PDA

View Full Version : I'm thinking about starting Warhammer...

arcanecantrips
06-08-2010, 01:42
I'm just trying to figure out what my 1st army should be. With 40k it was easy (nids) but I知 having a difficult time connecting with any of the Warhammer armies.

I want to choose an army that is aesthetically pleasing to me or else I値l not want to play them, but I'm not sure what army books are updated?

I understand that a new edition came out, I think 8th, can someone tell me what army books are current with the new rules?

Thanks.

freebooter
06-08-2010, 01:47
Skaven... If you enjoyed Nids, you'll have a kinda similar playstyle and paiting hordes of 6 point nothings won't get too tiring :P Seriously, lovely new minis and the new starter box will make starting nice and cheap.
Or you could play the best army ever, Dwarves ;)

Ultimate Life Form
06-08-2010, 01:48
I want to choose an army that is aesthetically pleasing to me or else I値l not want to play them, but I'm not sure what army books are updated?

That's the correct point of view.

Let's see... these books are still stuck in 6th Edition:

Bretonnia
Ogre Kingdoms
Dwarves
Tomb Kings
Wood Elves

These are the most current:

Beastmen (20010)
Skaven (2009)
Lizardmen (2009)

This is rumored to be in for an update soon:

Orcs & Goblins

smithers
06-08-2010, 01:55
You should first get a copy of the new big rule book.
There is a nice section on each army, and plenty of pics of nicely painted models sprinkled throughout the tome. Flipping through the BRB should allow you to decide which army you like the most. I wouldn't worry about any of the armies listed in there being out of date.

(BTW, you won't get this experience from browsing the b&w PDF that's out there, though I kind of feel that people who have paid for the book should have access to a high quality PDF)

arcanecantrips
06-08-2010, 03:58
Wow! Thanks for the wonderful replies. I was also thinking skaven. Thanks for solidifying that for me.

SiNNiX
06-08-2010, 04:42
I would actually steer clear of an army that is similar to your 40k army; if it's truly time to try something new, don't half-hiney it: go all out!

Good beginner armies are Warriors of Chaos, Daemons of Chaos, High Elves and Dark Elves.

I'd personally go with Dark Elves; they're awesome!

Gav2k
06-08-2010, 10:43
Beastmen (20010)

Another 18,000 years for a new Beastmen book?? Well...least it's still before Dark Eldar ;)

On topic: If you like to overrun your opponents in a similar fashion to your Nids, then yes, Skaven are the way to go (or maybe an all-Goblin army).

However you said you want something aesthetically pleasing to you. Well, dp you like Big Rats, or Knights, or Lizards? I always thought that, aesthetically, the closest thing to Nids in fantasy were the Lizardmen - which are a solid army, by the way.