PDA

View Full Version : GW modular movement tray question

Triple7s
06-08-2010, 15:22
Hey, just a quick question for anyone who has purchased this product - can it be used to make a 6x2 tray for cavalry models? Im looking to base a 12 strong unit of knights and if the modular tray can do it i'll grab one of them.

Cheers :)

Llew
06-08-2010, 15:26
Well, it's all plastic components, so with a sharp knife, a straight edge and a tad of patience (only a bit more than you'll need using the scored lines) you can make any size you want with it. The scored lines just save you from having to measure as much.

Cjwee
06-08-2010, 15:27
yeah i'm pretty sure it can. the tray has 2 sheets of 10x10 25 mm squares on it, so i'm sure that u can fit in ur 6x2 unit of knights somewhere!

TheKingInYellow
06-08-2010, 15:50
I can guarantee it will work, I've made several 6x2 bases for 25x50mm models.

Mythrider
06-08-2010, 17:52
@Cjwee The sheets are 10x10 20mm on one side and 8x8 25mm on the other. No big deal.

For the OP, as others have said yes the trays will do what you want. If you haven`t used them before be advised that they are extremely loose fitting with the plastic borders. By that I mean your 6x2 formation won`t be 150x100 mm it will be more like 158x108 mm.

Some people like the extra room as they feel it gives them some leeway in ranking the models. Personally I find it to be an annoying half-assed design flaw.

TheKingInYellow
06-08-2010, 19:10
Yeah I agree with that, if you trim on the lines, your models will be able to slide quite a bit. It's not always a problem if you are playing another player who is reasonable and fair about things like 'what is in base contact'.

Faeslayer
06-08-2010, 19:17
For ten bucks US, they're a great value. One package made me:

2 - 10x2 trays (20mm)
1 - 5x4 tray (20mm)
1- 6x2 tray (25mm)
1- 6x5 tray (20mm)

I would have spent more money (and time!) to make them from scratch out of comparably sturdy sheet plastic. They are very solid and sturdy- they feel nice.

The only catch, as others have said, is the looseness. The trim is "L" shaped, which means that even if you cut the bottom flat to the right size, the border pieces add width. This could be remedied pretty easily by just cutting the bottom to be 7mm-ish less on the depth and width than the guides would dictate (which I plan to do next time!).

The other catch is that the trim will need gaps filled, as the seams along the trim (between corner pieces and straight pieces) is too severe to just conceal with sand and glue, I think.