PDA

View Full Version : Why Charge?

CoolKidRoc
06-08-2010, 16:51
So I got my first game of 8th in yesterday and I'm just trying to figure out what the benefit of getting the charge off is other then the +1 at the end of the combat.

Is there any other benefits to charging?

Wathier
06-08-2010, 16:54
Yes, there are some other benefits! The unit can't be targeted by missile troops/warmachines!!

That's good enough for me (I play ogres)!

Anaris
06-08-2010, 16:57
Knights would want to charge, or Chariots?

...and like you said, you get a +1 combat res. How many games in 7th or prior did you draw a combat when you charged?

CoolKidRoc
06-08-2010, 16:59
Never played 7th, I'm coming from a 40k background where you get the +1 attack for each model :)

I heard in 7th you used to get to strike first, seems like not much there compared to 40k. And striking first gone, but that could just be me. I don't have a lot of fantasy experience, that's why I'm asking :D

UberBeast
06-08-2010, 17:05
In 7th if you killed a model before it struck then it couldn't fight back and models behind it didn't step up until the next round of combat, so striking first gave the attacker the chance to inflict a damaging blow before the defender had a chance to retaliate effectively.

Pawksatawny Phil
06-08-2010, 17:08
A great advantage of charging is to choose your targets, as opposed to having your opponent choose which units will up up against which...

Whitehorn
06-08-2010, 17:13
+1 CR
Impact hits (Chariots, Stegadons, Ogres, Minotaurs)
Some models get strength bonuses, ie Lances, Boars
Overruning an enemy into another - very useful for getting a second combat involved

Odin
06-08-2010, 17:21
A great advantage of charging is to choose your targets, as opposed to having your opponent choose which units will up up against which...

This.

+1 CR
Impact hits (Chariots, Stegadons, Ogres, Minotaurs)
Some models get strength bonuses, ie Lances, Boars
Overruning an enemy into another - very useful for getting a second combat involved

And This.

CoolKidRoc
06-08-2010, 17:26
So I guess it's very unit dependent, because your group of spears might just want to take the hit right?

fluffstalker
06-08-2010, 17:31
Depends on what the spears are facing and what units are near them.

If you have a chance to charge a chariot or cav take it! If you think you can squeeze in one turn of shooting and magic stay back. Its really situational.

Odin
06-08-2010, 17:31
So I guess it's very unit dependent, because your group of spears might just want to take the hit right?

Absolutely - spear-armed troops are generally the epitome of a defensive unit.

So for example you might want to take a charge with your well ranked up spearmen (more supporting attacks from spears), and aim to counter charge in the flank with your knights (lances) next turn.

There's plenty of other more subtle reasons why you might want to charge. For example if you have a monster facing off against a horde with a wizard or BSB in it, you may want to get the charge to make sure you get into base contact with the enemy character and turn them to mush. If they get the charge off, they may well be able to keep the vulnerable character out of the combat.

Or you may want to ensure the combat takes place as close as possible to your opponent's table edge, to increase the chances that the enemy unit will flee off the edge before they can rally, or to make sure they flee through one of their own war machines, causing a panic test.

Or it may simply be to stop your opponent charging of course. If your opponent has lances or impact hits, you want to get the charge on them and negate their biggest advantage.

Marshal Torrick
06-08-2010, 17:33
If you're playing an objective-based scenario, it puts you closer to the objective.

Kevlar
06-08-2010, 17:50
As my vampire playing friend told me, he is better off accepting charges, because he can't heal his units after combat if he charges. If he gets charged we fight then its his magic phase, so it makes it a little easier to keep his unit topped off. Otherwise he would have to go through two close combat phases before he could heal them.

bfeijter
06-08-2010, 18:15
If you GET charged your fighting on your opponents terms.
Thats a bad idea for everyone :)

CoolKidRoc
06-08-2010, 18:23
yeah I can see that, last night when I was playing though, I was pretty much just letting him charge on my terms, I'd position so he couldn't flank, and then I'd let him throw himself on the spears.

the only charge that got me, was when his warlion chariot took out my stegadon lol... oh well

but i can see how negating some of there effects like lance and stuff would be really helpful

kris.sherriff
06-08-2010, 18:44
So I got my first game of 8th in yesterday and I'm just trying to figure out what the benefit of getting the charge off is other then the +1 at the end of the combat.

Is there any other benefits to charging?

Other than getting to go first what were the benefits of charging in 7th?
The answers are the same...

Kris

DarkstarSabre
06-08-2010, 18:49
Why Charge?

Because 'why let my opponent dictate the flow of the battle?'

If I charge I've taken control. I'm the one forcing myself on his lines, over his objectives and into his 'safe zone'.

Djekar
06-08-2010, 20:20
I feel like we should dredge up all the old arguments when the whole HE army got ASF and we'd find pages and pages of reasons why charging is great even if you don't strike first. Most of which I think have been mentioned in this thread. Tempo is awesome, and you don't get it while sitting around on your thumbs.

Whitehorn
06-08-2010, 22:03
If you GET charged your fighting on your opponents terms.
Thats a bad idea for everyone :)

Unless you purposely set it up and baited them.