PDA

View Full Version : Will existing DE players have to buy a bunch of new stuff when the new codex comes?

darkeldarman
06-08-2010, 21:17
My questions is to weither or not old DE players will have to shell out another load of cash to update their army to the new codex's standard. I personally have atleast one of every unit in my collection, I already have 6 wych squads for crying out loud. Do you think we will need to buy whole other army?

Maskedman5oh4
06-08-2010, 21:25
My questions is to weither or not old DE players will have to shell out another load of cash to update their army to the new codex's standard. I personally have atleast one of every unit in my collection, I already have 6 wych squads for crying out loud. Do you think we will need to buy whole other army?

...do you want to own any of the new sculpts?? :eyebrows:

totgeboren
06-08-2010, 21:26
You will probably need to change alot of things, but really, the big question is if you will even want to use any of your old stuff.

I have a DE army in a box, maybe I should sell it now before people have gotten a good look at all the new models that will most likely be so good-looking the old ones will look like legos. ;)

Ulrig
06-08-2010, 21:39
This is an army that has been ignored for the better part of a decade with nothing new. When the new stuff comes out.....trust me you will want to buy it. I Don't even play dark eldar but I am excited to see what the new stuff looks like. I say keep the old and at least buy some of the new.

darkeldarman
06-08-2010, 21:42
cool, but do you think i could just pick up the codex and play? or do you think that they'll change so much that we will need to buy a bunch of new units. i know the models look like crap, but im not gonna trash em' after i've put hours of paint on them.

Ulrig
06-08-2010, 21:55
Without knowing anything, I would say its feasible to say you will be able to pick up the codex and put together a sizable competitive force. The unit types and vechicles are about as standard as what it takes to build a SM vanilla force.
Warriors, , witches, incubi, scourges, skimmers etc etc.

I would think the focus of the GW marketing would be pushing the whole new model line as a whole, instead of nerfing pre-existing units to sell the new good ones like they did with the Nids.

There will also surely be new bad ass units with new models they will be pushing.

The Custodian
06-08-2010, 22:52
I would think the focus of the GW marketing would be pushing the whole new model line as a whole, instead of nerfing pre-existing units to sell the new good ones like they did with the Nids.

Me and my nids will never forgive them for that (it wasnt just models they flopped weapon choices around also). Ah well this thread is not here for me to whine about nids...:shifty:

I think you should keep some old models in your army... That way you can sort of distinguish yourselves from the mass of new DE players coming in once the book is out...

lotrchampion
06-08-2010, 22:56
I'm going to use my existing Kabal initially, and then over time it'll be switched out for the new sculpts. Then I can combine the two for Apocalypse. Simplez!

From what I've heard of the kits coming out, I'll want them all anyway. My wallet has no choice...:p

Bloodknight
06-08-2010, 22:57
You will probably need to change alot of things, but really, the big question is if you will even want to use any of your old stuff.

Yeah, I happen to like many of the current sculpts like Warriors (and I'm not going to throw 6700 points of stuff in the bin). I'll certainly replace my Mandrakes and probably Grotesques or Hellions, but none of the basic models.

darkeldarman
06-08-2010, 23:25
cool, i guess i'll just blend old in new to say that i am a true kabalite.

DuskRaider
06-08-2010, 23:30
I certainly hope so. I absolutely hate my old DE models.

Bunnahabhain
06-08-2010, 23:34
I wouldn't be surprised if there is some new unit for which there are no models available, but your now rare and OOP models of unit X, which has just been replaced by a new and shiney spikyier version, would be perfect for.

Just so long as the new unit is not Dark Riders of Pain, riding Dark spine beasts, and wielding Dark blades. I think only marines get that treatment...

chromedog
06-08-2010, 23:39
I certainly hope so. I absolutely hate my old DE models.

So why do you play with an army of models you dislike so?

For the sake of saying you hate them?

Is this not like owning an iphone just to say how crap it is?
Isn't it easier (and cheaper) to go with another option that looks better?

The core units should remain more or less the same. These will be playable with the old models. There will be some stylistic changes to the DE, but you should be able to play them as is for a while.

darkeldarman
06-08-2010, 23:42
Ha I can see it now, dark lord on a dark beast with a dark shield. Of course there will be a crappy full metal model that you cannot convert for your new awesome unit of win.

impala
06-08-2010, 23:43
The basics of Warriors and Raiders will probably hold, maybe the Wyches. I hope the Archons/Dracons and Incubi do as well. I will buy the new Codex and see. I am not interested in buying a new Dark Eldar army, so if my old one works with the new Codex, I will be happy. Otherwise, I will continue with my plan to move onto the Tau when I am done with my Eldar.

DuskRaider
06-08-2010, 23:55
So why do you play with an army of models you dislike so?

For the sake of saying you hate them?

Is this not like owning an iphone just to say how crap it is?
Isn't it easier (and cheaper) to go with another option that looks better?

The core units should remain more or less the same. These will be playable with the old models. There will be some stylistic changes to the DE, but you should be able to play them as is for a while.

Because I like the fluff and the challenge of the army. I have other armies that look good, DE is not one of them.

daemonicemission
07-08-2010, 02:54

Even if you don't need to, I bet the models will rock so hard you will desperately want to.

The Orange
07-08-2010, 03:15
IMO, traditionally GW doesn't try to out-date previously produced figures (thankfully). Just look at all the stuff from 2nd edition that's still usable. So my best guess is that Yes most, if not all, of your DE collection will be perfectly usable. It's possible/likely that some options will be lost (so maybe some of those special weapons guys will get dumped), but one thing you can count on is NEW stuff. After all whats the point of a new codex without new stuff to add to your army? And of course there's always the question of how playable your current army will be without the new stuff. All in all though I doubt that the change in the new DE codex will be so radical that most of your models will be left without a home, not even proxiable as something in the new codex.

starlight
07-08-2010, 03:21
As with all armies, you will be able to use most of your existing models, but there will be newer (usually cooler) models you can upgrade to if you want...

Depending on how cool they are, I'll make the decision when I see the new models. :)

Reflex
07-08-2010, 04:06
like others have said i dont think it will be a case of have to, it will be a case of want to.

even if you like the current models, you may infact look at the new ones and go... omg jizz in my pants.

as an example: i had an entire black templars army of normal marines with ccw and bp. when the upgrade sprue came out way back in 06 i think, i didnt think my current models sucked, i though, wow they would make a nice adition to my army. (now that army is in the depths of hell, stupi BT's... :\ )

Billy
07-08-2010, 05:08
They will probly release a couple new toys for the DE. And you will have to buy the codex.

It is a decision you will have to make: Do I want the shiny new (and possibly really powerful) toy, and do i want to buy the sexy new sculpts.

The choice is yours. Raiders will still be raiders and warriors will be warriors, so you should have a decent backbone to any DE army. I would imagine it to be like the ork dex, do you want the super sexy new sculps (bikes, dreads, kans, nobs, stormboys) and lootas? Or do you want to roll with your old models and save a few bucks and still have a working list?

Wolf Lord Balrog
07-08-2010, 05:53
The better question is, how long will it take for DE die-hards to start being called cheese-wagoners for just now signing on to the codex of the month? :D

Panzerkanzler
07-08-2010, 07:23
...Or do you want to roll with your old models and save a few bucks and still have a working list?

We're talking about GW Billy. You don't save "a few" bucks, you save a bucket load of them!

ghoulio
07-08-2010, 08:24
One thing to think about in regards to this army is that EVERYTHING is being redone. Not just the models, the rules as well. In my mind it is better to think of this as a totally new army instead of an army that already existed. Even if that isnt the case and it is way closer to the 3rd ed book you will still end up needing to get a bunch of the new stuff to be even remotely competitive. I play tyranids mainly and I had a 2500pts painted army when the new codex came out. I had already dumped many hundreds of $$ on it and I still had to shell out another $300 or so just to update it to the new models since they made all the old stuff crap and the new stuff amazing.

Souleater
07-08-2010, 09:14
If there are sexy new units then I may buy those. Stuff with useless rules will need a superb figure to justify it.

I don't have to replace my existing Warriors, or Wyches but assuming the new sculpts are better I will be swapping out units one at a time for new.

I'm not going to dump several thousand points of mostly painted Dark Eldar. I actually like a lot of the figures. Sure, I use alternate Grotesques because the proper figures were ugly as sin. Mandrakes are probably going to be leagues beyond what they currently have. But a decently painted Warrior model doesn't look too bad.

My existing Dark Eldar have faithfully served me since Commorragh spat them into 3rd Edition. I feel very sentimental towards them. :)

I don't want to go from a fully painted army to the Kabal of Grey Plastic & the Cult of Primer in a week.

Ebaying old stuff has put my Dark Eldar fund to just over 200 at the moment. I shall spend it carefully and wisely*.

Of course, this is my plan. There are two problems with it.

My FLGS may want my DE to go in the window to bulk out the new figures on display. Not that they are GD entries but nobody else currently plays them. So I could end up playing my Nids or Cron while fighting a bunch of Wagoneers for the next six months. :wtf:

The second problem is that I may just look at the new stuff and buy the entire first shipment of DE that my store gets in a strange trance like state. :angel:

*No, really. Okay, I'll try.

misterboff
07-08-2010, 12:49

Have to = No.

Want to = Yes!

I'm not an existing DE player, but I've been waiting for new models to come out for a while now, and am hoping to get at least one of everything that they bring out.

misterboff

orkz222
07-08-2010, 15:34
Have to = No.

Want to = Yes!

existing DE player here, got 1750 of DE already and will buy new shiny DE stuff even I don't have to.

of course budget will get in the way :cries: cant buy too much in 1st wave...

the1stpip
07-08-2010, 17:07
As a large portion of mine are converted, they look really nice, but \i shall be slowly invesing in the new units.

I would hope that you should be able to use your old models, maybe with a little changing (I doubt we will be allowed 2 Dark Lances per squad)

Sir_Turalyon
08-08-2010, 18:43
The old DE armies will probably still be fieldable - only thing I can imagine that could force existing players to abandon sizable part of their collections is nerf on lances or Raiders in favour of new toys, leaving us with twice more than we'll need.

I'm not replacing my existing minis - I happen to like the scupults, and put enough work into paint schemes to have army that still looks good. *If* the new scupults and rules for units I don't have happen to be good, I'll probably be expanding my army with them. But I may as well start hunting down old hellions / scourges if their rules will them worth fielding.

This said, new toys will probably be good enough to buy them anyway. Like with old Guard players who didn't have to buy valkyries, manticores, hordes of psykers, new hellhound variants and three more chimeras when codex came out. They could stay with their masses of infrantry, basilisks and russes and play old style armies. Apparently, most didn't.

Tymell
08-08-2010, 18:58
You never "have" to buy anything. Most of the time when people complain about an update rendering their army "unplayable" and "forcing" them to buy lots more what they actually mean is it doesn't work in the same way it used to, but this is how the game is. Nature of the beast.

We Dark Eldar players have had much longer to not have to buy anything new than anyone else :p I'm sure I'm not alone in saying I think it's about time we got the chance!

Besides, I for one will probably have to be forced -not- to more or less buy a whole new army :D

Cuchulain84
08-08-2010, 20:03
I'll probably start a new Kabal and keep playing my old one whilst i'm gradually building it up. That is as long as Raider's, Warriors, Incubi & Wyches don't get completely nerfed.

madprophet
09-08-2010, 00:42
depends. If you like "old school" looks then no, just a few of the new units and maybe a few characters and some bulkout for your troops.

When they redid the guard, I needed very little for my Valhallans - just a few new vehicles, a few new squaddies and some conversion bait. But I liked the look of my army so I didn't need to go bonkers on the new Cadians (though I admit, they are very versatile).

If you want to update the look of your army, then yes you will be spending some serious coin on the new stuff.

Griffindale
09-08-2010, 05:15
I hope so, the old models were terrible.

Bloodknight
09-08-2010, 09:07
I hope so, the old models were terrible

Not really, usually only the paintjobs they get are. And the studio painjob on the red ones sucks horribly.

Cuchulain84
09-08-2010, 09:15
Not really, usually only the paintjobs they get are. And the studio painjob on the red ones sucks horribly.

Yeah, why is it that good Dark Eldar paint jobs are so rare?

I definitely agree with the GW Lobster look making them look a lot worse than they actually are too.

The Warrior kits are actually quite good. You can get some nice poses out of them.

I can honestly say I like 95% of the models in my Kabal. It's only a couple of the Wyches that I don't like.