PDA

View Full Version : Dangerous terrain army

snaketrap
07-08-2010, 05:37
So I've been playing 40K again for a few months after 10 years away, and having a lot of fun. After about 20 games I've noticed that while Hive Guard, Nob Bikers and Chimera spam may be deadly, the thing that by far has caused the most wounds in my games has been Dangerous Terrain. That stuff is deadly!

Is there any way to field an army of Dangerous Terrain? I'm thinking something like 3 ruins, a leaky plasma reactor, some quicksand and a cactus in a 750 point game, with a tooled up fire swamp and some deep striking flaming Thunderhawk remains at 1500.

Do you think that this would be a viable tournament build? Could it take Thunderwolf Calv and Bloodangel Landraider spam? Should I ally with Demon Hunters so I can take Mystics and the good Psychic Hood?

lumiya
07-08-2010, 09:12
Hmmm, not a bad army concept. I think you might need a squad of tank traps for some dedicated anti-tank firepower, but other than that, it looks pretty balanced.

:D

deacon52
07-08-2010, 09:37
but remember to chuck some transports in there for that much needed mobility.

everything has a 4+ cover save as well, unless of course the cactus is fortified. so even better

Thud
07-08-2010, 09:41
I'd give each of those ruins Razorbacks for mobility and extra fire power.

Angelwing
07-08-2010, 09:59
I think I'll wait for someone to do the math hammer before I commit to buying this netlist. :p

deacon52
07-08-2010, 10:04
if your going to tool up the fire swamp, i would take vulkan. he also makes those flaming thunderhawks twin linked, as well as the 3 ruins mastercrafted.

ForgottenLore
07-08-2010, 10:44
but remember to chuck some transports in there for that much needed mobility.

For transports, I think a few avalanches would be the way to go.

Bunnahabhain
07-08-2010, 11:11
No to mention the volcanic vent, which is essentially a guard Deathstrike, but stolen by the marines. Why do they steal everything special, except being rubbish in CC!

Nobody is quite sure when it will go up, or how big it will be...

MajorWesJanson
07-08-2010, 12:35
What, no love for the basic Razorwire and tank traps? They may not be all that impressive, but when you can get 36" of it for 50 points, you can easily do a horde fence list.

snaketrap
07-08-2010, 12:35
I think I'll wait for someone to do the math hammer before I commit to buying this netlist. :p

Dangerous Terrain will wound anything that comes into base to base contact with it on a roll of 6. So....

Math Hammer: 1/1 chance to hit, 1/6 chance to auto wound = Awesome!

Bunnahabhain
07-08-2010, 12:42
Who would have access to land mines? Or do we want to stay away from accusations of boring special weapon spam?

The Marshel
07-08-2010, 12:43
dangerous terrain is hax, how is razorwire ballanced when compared to tactical marines? tactical marines sucks

Will there be more then one codex? i dont know if you can accuratly build armies from different worlds with one list. surely waste planets deserve their own separate codex, they just play so differently

carldooley
07-08-2010, 12:44
I foresee a fun apoc list, with SW Libbys to make a given area dangerous, and CSM Libbys to drag nunits across them with lash :D

MajorWesJanson
07-08-2010, 12:47
Who would have access to land mines? Or do we want to stay away from accusations of boring special weapon spam?

Except Land Mines are among the best models in the range. A good paint job, and all will be forgiven

Squallish
07-08-2010, 12:59
If you love Dangerous Terrain, try 3 Night Spinners. Just one hasn't disappointed me yet.

ForgottenLore
07-08-2010, 13:45
What, no love for the basic Razorwire and tank traps? They may not be all that impressive, but when you can get 36" of it for 50 points, you can easily do a horde fence list.

Someone mentioned tank traps for some anti-armor capability, but your right, razorwire definitely needs included, there is even Forgeworld models for it already.

And yeah, definitely need different sub codexes to cover the variant armies, death world, cities of death and so on.

10 points for everyone who gets the reference, but it needs a special character, Potty the Potted Plant.

snaketrap
07-08-2010, 13:46
I foresee a fun apoc list, with SW Libbys to make a given area dangerous, and CSM Libbys to drag nunits across them with lash :D

For Apoc you get to field an entire Deathworld!

The Marshel
07-08-2010, 13:50
10 points for everyone who gets the reference, but it needs a special character, Potty the Potted Plant.

will perry the platypus personally deliver my 10 points! :D

I don't think we could accurately represent potty, i mean he is pretty skilled, deff up there with the primarchs, i dont think 40k can handle that, maybe an apoc datasheet for him

ForgottenLore
07-08-2010, 13:56
I would send Perry with your points except I can't seem to find him...
Oh, there you are Perry.