PDA

View Full Version : If you could be A space marine

sebold
07-08-2010, 07:59
hey guys, I was just wondering, if you could choose to be a marine, (u know,go back to puberty and do the training) would you? would you become a super badass killing machine made for war knowing what you know? or would u just live a regular bland average human life and die a quiet death a few decades later?:skull: what chapter would you join anyway? (and yes, even if ur a girl you can still join, just make sure you wear your armour at all times!

feno12
07-08-2010, 08:08
I wouldn't, A space marine is brainwashed to serve its purpose and nothing else, they spend the majority of their spare time in prayer and training, they are bioengineered and enhanced into something which hardly resembles a human being, to the point where they have two hearts, can spit acid and have bones as hard as steel.

So no, I'd prefer to be 'normal' over a slave.

deacon52
07-08-2010, 08:08
what give up sex, drugs and rock'n'roll. nah mate, milking cows, feeding calves, watching my boy grow up is enough excitement for me. plus i would miss the All Blacks kicking the wallabies ass tonight(i may live to regret that statement yet:) ). for all you boys and girls who dont know, thats the New zealand(lord of the rings film set) VS the Australian rugby team.

Gutted
07-08-2010, 08:17
Hell no. Space Marines are monsters and I would much rather keep my humanity, my freedom and my sex life.

BaloOrk
07-08-2010, 08:35
Hell no. Space Marines are monsters and I would much rather keep my humanity, my freedom and my sex life.

Go renegade then, and keep ye humanity, "freedom" and sex life. :shifty:

Tactical Retreat!
07-08-2010, 08:42

That last part is uncertain, I think. I think there are strong reasons to believe that SM are sterile, whether they are renegade or not.

Massive steroid and hormone abuse isn't that good for the libido, folks.

deacon52
07-08-2010, 08:45
Go renegade then, and keep ye humanity, "freedom" and sex life.

yeah slaneshi deamonettes. bow chika wow wow

Pyriel
07-08-2010, 09:30
um... space marines do not "train for puberty". *stop thinking them as commando humans, THEY ARE NOT.* the fluff is VERY detailed about this:
-first, the space marine is a human.
-he joins the Imperial Guard.
-he trains as a soldier.
-he becomes a heroic soldier during campaigns.
-he beomes *the best soldier in his planet*, possibly even an officer.he is about 30-40 years old at this point.
-he becomes recruited by the space marines AFTER all that. (yes, AFTER he probably had become a IG officer/independent character per se)
-he then gets tested by librarians for wether his body can withstand the changes/surgeries etc.he also gets brainwashed by the chaplains.

-he then gets , via surgerie, the chapter's gene-seed. this causes him to nearly stop aging (hence why most SMs look like 40-ish, the age of recruitment right when they had become IG heroes), and causes him to develop to huge 8-ft-tall muscular size , four lungs, two hearts, spit acid, eat anything , even his alien foes to survive-and has an organ specificaly for tellinbg which parts of the alien foes are poisonous, etc.this sounds exaggerated , as these feats are totaly inhuman and VERY tyranid/alien-like, but the fluff tells us about this specificaly.yes, the SMs, *are* that monstrous and inhuman.

-then he becomes a scout. this "IG ex-legendary hero and now alien-eating, acid-spitting, 8-ft-tall mr muscle" is a *scout*.

-he learns space marine tactics, and, some years after that, his gene-seed further develops granting him extra senses as well as a small layer of like second metal-like skin underneath the normal skin that enables him to connect with and control the power armour effortlessly. it is then that he becomes a space marine.

this is what a space marine is like(source: 4th edition Black Templar and Space Marine CODEXES). at least what GW books, codexes, and novels say and agree about. the fact that in the game their stats probably dont represent ex-IG independent characters that have become superhuman is because then Space Marines would have Mephiston-like stats and cost, so SM players would control only a 2 5-man squads per game and "it would be lame".

so the question is invalid, because in fluff/concept the Space Marines are not some "trained from puberty commandos". they're so much more than that, and we cannot compare lives/expoeriences and know if we would want it.

Godzooky
07-08-2010, 09:40
um... space marines do not "train for puberty". *stop thinking them as commando humans, THEY ARE NOT.* the fluff is VERY detailed about this:
-he trains as a soldier.
-he beomes *the best soldier in his planet*, possibly even an officer.he is about 30-40 years old at this point.
-he becomes recruited by the space marines AFTER all that. (yes, AFTER he probably had become a IG officer/independent character per se)
-he then gets tested by librarians for wether his body can withstand the changes/surgeries etc.he also gets brainwashed by the chaplains.

:wtf:

Doesn't sound much like any fluff I've seen. I think the neophyte in the Templar fluff you cited was even mentioned as a rare exception to usual SM recruitment practice regarding age.

EDIT: Most Space Wolf stuff talks about teens being drafted after wedgying some uber abomination.

Pyriel
07-08-2010, 09:42
i've stated my sources. 4th edition Black Templar(pages 10-12, i happen to have with me) and Space Marine codexes. nothing is more canon than a codex.

Raxmei
07-08-2010, 09:43
"A Marine usually joins the ranks between the ages of 16-18, but such are the hormonal changes induced by the process of creating a Space Marines that recruits are physically fully grown before then." Index Astartes, page 7.

deacon52
07-08-2010, 09:47
yeah everything i've ever read had them joining mid to late teens. but that could just be space wolves, but i'm reasonably sure its not

Caribou_powa
07-08-2010, 09:48
Do you read your codexes?

Anyway, i prefer be a farmer without problem other thna the weather than a killing space machine without any time for himself.

Godzooky
07-08-2010, 09:51
Do you read your codexes?

He meant codices, guys. Leave him be... :shifty:

Raxmei
07-08-2010, 10:04
Index Astartes states in no uncertain terms that the transformation must take place within the teenage years or the implants won't grow in properly. Codex: Blood Angels invariably refers to aspirants as youths. It's actually a plot point in the Dark Angels that the aspirants must be young. "Those knights who were still young enough had the Legion's gene-seed implanted within them, transforming them into the mighty Space Marines, warriors fit to serve in the Emperor's armies. Those too old for this process underwent transformative surgery, and while they would never be as strong, tough or fast as a Space Marine, they would nonetheless be counted among the elite warriors of the Imperium." Lion El'Jonson's second in command Luther was too old to become a Space Marine so he was left behind to garrison Caliban where he would eventually lead a portion of the legion to fall.

I can't recall any mention of Guardsmen being inducted into the Space Marines. The typical story is that the Marines select from among the promising youths of their homeworld using selection processes ranging from athletic contests to survival challenges to gladiatorial combat.

Konrad2709
07-08-2010, 11:10
um... space marines do not "train for puberty". *stop thinking them as commando humans, THEY ARE NOT.* the fluff is VERY detailed about this...

In fact there IS very detailed fluff about this...

http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Creation_of_a_Space_Marine

The 19 implanted organs are very complicated, and because several of them only work properly or work at all in the presence of another of the implants, the removal, mutation or failure of one organ can affect the exact functioning of the others.1 Because of this and the fact that each Chapter's gene-seed belongs to that Chapter alone, different Chapters display different characteristics and use different sets of implants and methods of implantation.

Throughout the implantation process the Marine must undergo various forms of conditioning in order for the implanted organs to develop and become part of his physiology.

Listed below is the complete set of implants used:

Phases 1-3 can be introduced at the same time, ideally between 10 and 14 years of age.
Phases 4 and 5 can be introduced at the same time, ideally between 12 and 14 years of age.
Hypnotherapy normally begins at phase 6, ideally sometime between 14 and 17 years of age.
Phases 7 to 9 are normally introduced simultaneously, ideally at a point between 14 and 16 years old. The following series of organs are also ideally implanted between the ages of 14 and 16.
Phases 14 and 15 may be introduced at the same time, ideally between 15 and 16 years of age. The remaining series of implants are then ideally introduced to the recipient between the ages of 16 and 18.

References:
White Dwarf 98 (1988) The Origins of the Legiones Astartes by Rick Priestley, reprinted in:
Warhammer 40,000: Compendium and the GW web site's The Creation of a Space Marine

For all the years I've been in the hobby, this has remained consistent.

As others have said, I've also read countless stories where young teenagers are recruited off worlds where they were proven to be the strongest and had the most potential.

ForgottenLore
07-08-2010, 11:30
"Aspirants must always be chosen when they are young, before they become too mature to accept the gene-seed that will turn them into Space Marines."

Codex Space Marines, p10

It doesn't get any more canonical than C:SM.

As for the original question, it depends on too many variables. Are you talking about just the physical changes (and mental training necessary to adapt to them) or the full on treatment. Here today in modern earth where you would be the only one or if we hypothetically lived in the 40K universe?

If I was staying here on earth and could be convinced I would retain my original personality and motivations, then maybe. If the question is "A space marine chapter has decided you would make a good recruit" then I probably wouldn't be being given a choice.

808thMyrmidons
07-08-2010, 12:11
i wouldn't be a space marine. a lot of the pleasures of life get taken away when you become a space marine. sex, a good drunk, anything resembling free time, etc. though i probably would go for being a guardsman. travel the universe and kill demons. sounds good to me.

KingDeath
07-08-2010, 12:27
I would be some techmarine on a nice and safe battlebarge :)

DonkeyMan
07-08-2010, 12:46
Guys, guys. Each Marine chapter can recruit differently. While Space Wolves take teenagers from Fenris other chapters are know to also recruit older individuals.

And NO, I don't want to be a Space Marine. Not much into wars and killing people really.

Elenneth89
07-08-2010, 12:48
little question: marines cannot drink alcoholic drinkings, isn'it? so why the space wolves usually drink beer and other?

Raxmei
07-08-2010, 12:50
Back to the original topic, it's training from hell followed by a life of more training from hell, deprivation, warfare, and a violent death. To get in at all you have to have experienced a childhood exceptionally rough by Imperial deathworld standards followed by a selection process more likely to kill you than pass you meant to select only those with a fighting chance at surviving the horrifically painful transformation process that also overwrites much of your original personality.

Consider the case of Johny and Luthor Htoo of Myanmar. At the age of nine they took command of the fighters of their village and went on to lead a group called God's Army in armed conflict. They might stand a chance at qualifying. What were you doing when you were ten? I was too busy going to elementary school to be running around killing wolves with my bare hands, fighting gang wars, or leading armies of child soldiers.

Lord Malorne
07-08-2010, 12:52
i've stated my sources. 4th edition Black Templar(pages 10-12, i happen to have with me) and Space Marine codexes. nothing is more canon than a codex.

Index Astartes one, creation of a space marine, the ages are usually around 14.

little question: marines cannot drink alcoholic drinkings, isn'it? so why the space wolves usually drink beer and other?

They can, but their organs remove all toxins so all they get is the taste, not the inebriation.

I can't recall any mention of Guardsmen being inducted into the Space Marines.

One of the Blood Raven BL books has an (young) Imperial Guardsman inducted, it is outside the norm and and not generally done.

808thMyrmidons
07-08-2010, 14:26

they can drink beer and wine and such but they can't get drunk.

DonkeyMan
07-08-2010, 15:35
Space Wolves drink beer simply bacause it's part of their culture (for all Fenrisians, not just the Wolves). Besides unlike many other marines, they really don't follow the Codex at all and still cling to many of their pre-space marine life traditions. They really simply are Vikings in space.
And they can get intoxicated, which makes me think that it's a very strong ale that a standard human probably would die drinking a pint of proper Space Wolves Ale.
Or they just drink so much, that even their enhanced organism can't cope with the amount of alcohol in their blood.

Lord Malorne
07-08-2010, 15:41
That is pretty much how they described it in the Space Wolves novels, odd they would go to so much trouble just to give marines an option to get drunk :D.

Born Again
07-08-2010, 15:48
-he trains as a soldier.

-he then gets , via surgerie, the chapter's gene-seed. this causes him to nearly stop aging (hence why most SMs look like 40-ish, the age of recruitment right when they had become IG heroes), and causes him to develop to huge 8-ft-tall muscular size , four lungs, two hearts, spit acid, eat anything , even his alien foes to survive-and has an organ specificaly for tellinbg which parts of the alien foes are poisonous, etc.this sounds exaggerated , as these feats are totaly inhuman and VERY tyranid/alien-like, but the fluff tells us about this specificaly.yes, the SMs, *are* that monstrous and inhuman.

-then he becomes a scout. this "IG ex-legendary hero and now alien-eating, acid-spitting, 8-ft-tall mr muscle" is a *scout*.

-he learns space marine tactics, and, some years after that, his gene-seed further develops granting him extra senses as well as a small layer of like second metal-like skin underneath the normal skin that enables him to connect with and control the power armour effortlessly. it is then that he becomes a space marine.

this is what a space marine is like(source: 4th edition Black Templar and Space Marine CODEXES). at least what GW books, codexes, and novels say and agree about. the fact that in the game their stats probably dont represent ex-IG independent characters that have become superhuman is because then Space Marines would have Mephiston-like stats and cost, so SM players would control only a 2 5-man squads per game and "it would be lame".

so the question is invalid, because in fluff/concept the Space Marines are not some "trained from puberty commandos". they're so much more than that, and we cannot compare lives/expoeriences and know if we would want it.

Wow, I just can't even believe this would be serious...

As for the question, being a Space Marine for just one day would be awesome, laying the smack down wherever you went. But forever, giving up your humanity? No thanks. If that was the case I'd probably go renegade.

theunwantedbeing
07-08-2010, 15:57
And they can get intoxicated, which makes me think that it's a very strong ale that a standard human probably would die drinking a pint of proper Space Wolves Ale.

It's probably similar to what they stick into top fuel dragsters.
Allows you to belch fire at least which is definitely awesome.

I can't see that ever getting old, even if you live to several thousand years of age.
I wonder if that's why dreadnaughts get given heavy flamers....

gwarsh41
07-08-2010, 16:50
It could be interesting, but no. I like to teach, and you know, be in love and whatnot.

SharpSilver
07-08-2010, 17:17
-he trains as a soldier.

The Space Marines do not recruit from Imperial Guard 'Heroes' as you make them out. The Imperial Guard are a completely different organisation to the Adeptus Astartes. The Space Marines recruit adolescent males from a Planet of Choice. For example, The Space Wolves from Fenris, and the Ultramarines from Macragge and so forth. This planet is usually the home of their Fortress Monastery.

It's unbelievable how far you have strayed off there. :D

jamesm87
07-08-2010, 19:47
lol...someone threw the cat amongst the pigeons there ;)

Commander Ray-Ban
07-08-2010, 19:50
I would. After getting out of the ranks of the scouts, I would turn traitor and join the Black Legion (after stealing stuff for them,bwahaha).

Being a space marine would be the most fun you could ever have. Aside from being a Chaos Marine that is...

TheMav80
07-08-2010, 20:02
I sure would. I don't think they lose that much of their humanity at all. It's been a long time since Space Marines were just brainwashed psychotic super soldiers.

Plus, you get to live for hundreds of years and not be stuck with the frailties of the human body.

Course I would be joining the Iron Hands...so I'd be more advanced than even regular Space Marine Meat Sacks. :cool:

geeksquared
07-08-2010, 20:02
There was a line in one of the early space wolf codices about space wolves having drinking competitions with ale strong enough to kill a normal human. The winner of the contest was the first to overwhelm his own physiology and pass out.

As to the original question. Yes I probably would become a space marine given the choice, (Space Wolf for preference) But then I have a VERY boring job.

jamesm87
07-08-2010, 20:11
id be a imperial fist or space wolf - both are appealing...i am infact looking at some converted models sitting on my desk right now awaiting a base coat! i want a power fist

papier-mache methinks

Setesh
07-08-2010, 20:30
only so i could defect to chaos...

Commander Ray-Ban
07-08-2010, 21:01
only so i could defect to chaos...

Ideatheif!

:3

AstartesWarMachine
07-08-2010, 21:07
I would, because I never much liked being a pitiful human being anyway.

Mortarion74
07-08-2010, 23:31
If I were to find myself in the universe of warhammer 40k, no I would not be a space marine, i would be one of the high lords of Terra, guarded in a fortress bastion by space marines, thats the intelegent thing to do, and if tyranids turn up, the marines would keep them busy while I bravely evacuate the planet and defect to the Tau.

Chem-Dog
08-08-2010, 00:11
That last part is uncertain, I think. I think there are strong reasons to believe that SM are sterile, whether they are renegade or not.

Massive steroid and hormone abuse isn't that good for the libido, folks.

Libido issues not withstanding, sterility and impotence are two very different things, just because you can't produce Brother Captain Rock Hardson Jr, don't mean you can't give the cleaning lady the time/scare of her life ;)

-he trains as a soldier.

Chronic fluff fail. I will offer a few exceptions in a moment....

The Space Marines do not recruit from Imperial Guard 'Heroes' as you make them out. The Imperial Guard are a completely different organisation to the Adeptus Astartes.

This statement presupposes that
A) A SM chapter's homeworld/recruiting preference does not encompass IG or PDF units (Ultramar is a good example of this happening).
AND
B) That an IG regiment recruits people only once they've hit 18, many cultures see adulthood kicking in much earlier, making it entirely possible for an IG Veteran with several field promotions to still be feasably be young enough to accept marine transplants, such a young and accomplished warrior might well be a good choice as an aspirant.

There are also examples of older individuals volunteering to be changed, it's extremely painful and often fatal, but it can be done. The last example I can think of reading about is the Space Wolves short story in Tales of Heresy.

I would. After getting out of the ranks of the scouts, I would turn traitor and join the Black Legion (after stealing stuff for them,bwahaha).

I have visions of Abbadon looking on quite bemused as you offer him the contents of the Ultramarines' stationary cupboard....

There was a line in one of the early space wolf codices about space wolves having drinking competitions with ale strong enough to kill a normal human. The winner of the contest was the first to overwhelm his own physiology and pass out.

QFT, it was mentioned in a fluff piece that accompanied an early (read 2nd Ed) SW battle report in WD too.

If I were to find myself in the universe of warhammer 40k, no I would not be a space marine, i would be one of the high lords of Terra, guarded in a fortress bastion by space marines....

The High Lords of Terra...Number one cause of death:- Officio Assassinorum ;)

In answer to the question, probably not, it seems like far too much effort.

Askari
08-08-2010, 01:29
Sure, why not.

I'd just turn traitor, go all Brother Constantinus on everyone and take over a planet for myself.

Fine, eventually I get a bitter showdown with my former battle-brothers and am defeated and killed. But eh, I'll get a Hollywood movie starring Bruce Willis and an autobiography written by Richard Hammond.

Awesome.

night2501
08-08-2010, 01:38
Adeptus castratos ... no thanks...

and they are probably rendered impotent and without a taste for womans due to the process, since it mess up with the normal hormonal development, but this is speculation... still accept it, yea SM are tall strong fast omg superhuman, Brainwashed unable to procreate and with not freer time for the ladies anyway...

Heafstaag
08-08-2010, 02:33
If I was to become a space marine I would want to become a blood angel assault marine OR a gunner on a dakka baal.

Alternatively being a space wolf would be pretty badass.

Charistoph
08-08-2010, 07:21
I never would have qualified to be a Space Marine. Heck, I would probably not even qualify for the IG, and they have REALLY low standards!! I'd probably end up as a Tech Priest with the Mechanicum.

If I somehow managed to get myself implanted, I'd probably have visited Mars a few times and have a huge power fist analogue attached to my back.

Gutted
08-08-2010, 07:52

Of those freedom is the only thing you would gain by going rogue, sex life maybe if you turn to Slanesh but then your going to be giving and taking and eventually sprial down into a pattern of depravity that leaves sex well behind.

frogomatik
08-08-2010, 09:57
I'd join the space marines for the same reason I joined the marines. Those with the ability and the will, have a responsibility to serve.

geeksquared
08-08-2010, 10:46
I always thought that Space Marines must have their libido's suppressed by either drugs or psychotherapy. If it was a physical thing (chopping them off) then the developing marine would have no way to produce testosterone and would start reverting to female characteristics (all life being female by default, requiring extra chromosomes to be male).

If Space Marines were rendered impotent during their transformation then they'd all have boobs. Ergo they must develope normally at least until fully grown and it would seem more cost effective and less risky to just include an extra few lines in the hypnoindoctrination they get anyway than to perform yet another risky and time consuming surgical procedure on every single applicant.

deacon52
08-08-2010, 11:31
i dont think he's going to start reverting to a female if you deknacker him. i've ringed a few bull calves in my day and they dont start growing boobs. they just dont get the muscle growth that they would normally get if they still had their clangers.

they would need eostrogen injections to grow boobs, although extreme steroid use can have an undesired side effect.

Mortarion74
08-08-2010, 14:09
I seem to remember it is mentioned in Rogue trader that space marines cannot bread. There is certainly no mention of children of the marines, and there would be if they could breed.

Born Again
08-08-2010, 15:02
I seem to remember it is mentioned in Rogue trader that space marines cannot bread.

No, I imagine they have Chapter serfs to do all their baking for them.

barrangas
08-08-2010, 16:16
I wouldn't want to be any where near the 40k Universe, myself.

I find it interesting, with all the talk of sex on this thread, that people seem to think that if a SM could, women would. Most women in their right mind would probably be saying "HELL NO!!!"

night2501
08-08-2010, 16:35
Well is normal for people to discuss about sex in this situation, after all, the sex, or more accurately the need to reproduce is hard coded into our biology, leaving romance and love aside, so basically becoming a marine, means you become infertile, so you can not procreate, that goes against our very nature.

In that context, procreation - sex , is expected for it to surface in this topic.

Also from the reproductive point of view, being impotent, or not having your gonads, or just being sterile, is the same, you are not functional in that department.
even if the SM is just sterile but able to perform, it might end in depression on the long run, self hating, etc, or just plain dislike for womans, ok maybe more like lack of interest in any relationship with a woman.

So yes wanting to be a marine cause itīs COOL, is probably because the person just look at a part of what it means...

TheBigBadWolf
08-08-2010, 17:46
-he trains as a soldier.

funniest thing I have read in 40k background in ages, its just epic fail

Francois
08-08-2010, 18:01
Hi all!

I think civilian life for the majority in the Imperium is like being a high tech dark ages peasant in a hive world. Necromunda shows us you don't have to be in the military to be caught up in violence and sudden death. In the universe of 40K there is only war... I think there is a lot of fear, desperation, and boredom being part of the faceless masses in the Imperium. I don't think it's like life in 21st century America (well, some neighborhoods maybe, though a thousand times worse).

Mental conditioning, even 'brain washing' can be very helpful to a Space Marine, since it helps him be more heroic, to know no fear, to be faithful unto death. It would only be a bad thing if he did not undertake it willingly, if it violated his free will instead of enhancing his ability to express it through righteous warfare.

But I would be a civilian if those are the only two choices, and I would devoutly dedicate my life to faith in the God Emperor and the Ecclesiarchy.

--- Emperor bless and cherish you!
Frankie

TheMav80
08-08-2010, 18:38
Well is normal for people to discuss about sex in this situation, after all, the sex, or more accurately the need to reproduce is hard coded into our biology, leaving romance and love aside, so basically becoming a marine, means you become infertile, so you can not procreate, that goes against our very nature.

In that context, procreation - sex , is expected for it to surface in this topic.

Also from the reproductive point of view, being impotent, or not having your gonads, or just being sterile, is the same, you are not functional in that department.
even if the SM is just sterile but able to perform, it might end in depression on the long run, self hating, etc, or just plain dislike for womans, ok maybe more like lack of interest in any relationship with a woman.

So yes wanting to be a marine cause itīs COOL, is probably because the person just look at a part of what it means...

Plenty of people in real life are impotent, infertile, or just practice voluntary celibacy. I don't think it would be that big of a trade off, personally.

Master Chief VF
08-08-2010, 19:20
Yeah,I would like to kick asses,but not in the name of the Emperor!!!

I would like to be an Iron Warrior,with my proud laser cannon,to make a hole into everything!!!

Justicar_Freezer
08-08-2010, 20:04
If I could I'd be a space marine but I'd take it one step farther and be a Grey Knight.

I would be alright giving up my humanity to protect humanity from the most dire and depraved threats the immaterium has to offer. Knowing that demonic incursions were stopped because of the actions of yourself and your fellow battle brothers well that would be worth giving up the mundane of being human. Only problem I might have would be inquisitors however depending on the fluff Grey Knights don't always jump when inquisitors tell them too.

Arselskjut
08-08-2010, 21:21
I suppose you find joy in the life you have, so if you're a space marine you'll find somethings that you enjoy (conquering? ;D)

If I would have been recruited to the marines I probably would have chosen the most stable geneseed. Imperial Fists (Templars are to fantatical) or Ultramarines. Even if it would have been wicked to be a Black Legionnaire, but Chaos seems a bit to perverted for my taste =).

noobzor
08-08-2010, 22:09
I'd much rather be a serf for space marines than be one.

TBH I'd like to be a Vindicare assassin.

Rrail
09-08-2010, 07:48
(all life being female by default, requiring extra chromosomes to be male).

Hahahahahahahahaha.

Garven Dreis
09-08-2010, 08:00
Be a Chaos Marine, slay worlds. The end.

The Furious Abyss
09-08-2010, 09:22
I would would want to be a Word Bearers Chaos Marine and slaughter in the name of the dark gods.

Reflex
09-08-2010, 09:35
give up my current life?
you say if guaranteed to become a marine but still have to put in the hard yards?

Yes.

of course, i would have to be a son of dorn. a black templar. those guys are mad, literally insane religious zealots.

I mean really, who dosnt want to be able to be so ignorant of everything else in the galaxy, not caring about anything else (because caring would mean you dont kill it) and at the end of the day you get smash you fist into what ever is stupid enough to cross your path.

heck yes... because ignorance is bliss ergo being a space marine is bliss!

LonelyPath
09-08-2010, 12:52
SO the options are:

Be mind-wiped, brainwashed, physically augmented and thrown into every kinds of nasty wars imaginable...

or...

Stay me who's a pacifist, artist, severely physically disabled, free spirited, a optimist and very outspoken on some political views. Not to mention that I detest religions like those that include the puritan/Inquisitional that have a "worship or die" attitude...

I think I'll stay me thanks :)

Godzooky
09-08-2010, 13:22
Stay me who's a pacifist, artist, severely physically disabled, free spirited, a optimist and very outspoken on some political views. Not to mention that I detest religions like those that include the puritan/Inquisitional that have a "worship or die" attitude...

See, that's the answer most proper, quality people should give, but I regard myself as a pretty worthless individual. I have no discernible talents, have a mundane, boring, soul-destroying job. The only girl I ever loved turned out to be a married habitual liar who successfully pulled the wool over my eyes for two years before disappearing one day, never to be heard of again.

I have to say the offer of never feeling again and the opportunity to be rubbed out quickly by a Bloodthirster does have its merits. :D

bignbadbum
09-08-2010, 16:58
I would have to go with Godzooky here, right now my life is very boring, not very taleneted(and public school has killed all desire to succeed at anything... >.>), and well my girlfriend is about the only thing I'd miss as a Marine.

Lastly, I'm joining the Army, and let's say I'd rather be a Space Marine then a Guardsman who usually dies within the first 15 hours of completed his training.

I do not think it's as bad as "turning into a psychopath with no humanity or free time" as people are making it out to be. Look at the Wolves, they have plenty of free time to roam around the Fang getting drunk and breeding wolves, infact they love having friendly games and competitions.

The Blood Angels have an appreciation for Art and Artifice as do the Salamanders, they must have some free time in order to paint or craft themselves besides asking the local Techmarine to do it for them.

Blood Angels are my favorite chapter without a doubt and I'd say HELL YES to being a Space Marine if I was garenteed to survive all the surgery and training, but I would totally join the Wolves... or the Grey Knights just to get that extra dosage of badarsery and well forgetting who I was before becoming a Knight.. isn't much to remember to begin with.

jamjam
09-08-2010, 18:29
lets change the context, if it were a choice of being yourself in the 40k world or a space marine what would the answer be

kinda changes things dont it?....

I'd be a space marines, dont mind what kind as long as i could ride one of those mad bikes they have.....

Inquisitor_Tolheim
09-08-2010, 19:28
I do not think it's as bad as "turning into a psychopath with no humanity or free time" as people are making it out to be. Look at the Wolves, they have plenty of free time to roam around the Fang getting drunk and breeding wolves, infact they love having friendly games and competitions.

The Blood Angels have an appreciation for Art and Artifice as do the Salamanders, they must have some free time in order to paint or craft themselves besides asking the local Techmarine to do it for them.

This is kind of my mentality as well. While some chapters would be an eternity of war with only training to pass the time between actual battles, other chapters are known to spend their time in between battle in recreational, artistic and academic pursuits. The space wolves in particular are regularly portrayed as spending significant amounts of time drinking and relaxing with their battle brothers to build camaraderie.

And of course there are the Chaos Space Marines, who basically get to spend their spare time doing whatever the hell they want so long as they find a way to tie it into the worship of the dark gods.

I think I'd go loyal and join the Space Wolves. Blood Angels would be a contender if they didn't have their whole "Everybody eventually goes crazy" flaw.

GrogDaTyrant
09-08-2010, 22:31
Not interested. I'd opt for being an Ork, but I somehow doubt that having to fight off a tidal wave of marines constantly zerg-rushing you would be very fun (or interesting).

bignbadbum
10-08-2010, 00:25
I think I'd go loyal and join the Space Wolves. Blood Angels would be a contender if they didn't have their whole "Everybody eventually goes crazy" flaw.

Inquisitor_Tolheim, that is pretty much the only reason I would refrain from picking Blood Angels, Death Company is cool and all, and I'm fine with being insane and bloodthirsty.... but I kinda don't want to be put down like a dog at the vet office by the nearest Chaplain.

deacon52
10-08-2010, 03:52
well if i lived in the 40k universe, i wouldnt mind being a space wolf. more so than any chapter they seem to have a little more of their own individual personality. allthough i doubt i would be picked for greatness by the wolf preists. dont really have that warrior spirit. so i'll probably be doing what i do now, farming in 40k.

Fallen DA
10-08-2010, 04:33
SO the options are:

Be mind-wiped, brainwashed, physically augmented and thrown into every kinds of nasty wars imaginable...

or...

Heretic.... :shifty:

Fallen DA
10-08-2010, 04:35
See, that's the answer most proper, quality people should give, but I regard myself as a pretty worthless individual. I have no discernible talents, have a mundane, boring, soul-destroying job. The only girl I ever loved turned out to be a married habitual liar who successfully pulled the wool over my eyes for two years before disappearing one day, never to be heard of again.

I have to say the offer of never feeling again and the opportunity to be rubbed out quickly by a Bloodthirster does have its merits. :D

Ouch.... How could you not see that coming....! :rolleyes: Maybe you should go join the Foreign Legion instead then :D

Raven1
10-08-2010, 04:49
um... space marines do not "train for puberty". *stop now alien-eating, acid-spitting, 8-ft-tall mr muscle" is a *scout*.

Your right they don't train for puberty they train for war

Something I have never understood is why are Scouts the newbies, I mean seriously. Scouts have to infiltrate enemy, eliminate key targets whether living or material. IRl they conduct dangerous raids to rescue capture personnel or capture personnel, get accurate information about the enemy.

Space Marines leave this crap for the new guys? Scouts in modern day are highly trained and experienced. I just don't understand it. But thats what you get when you play a game where Space Marines fire .75 cal case less exploding rockets from guns that eject empty shells.

and to be on topic, no I don't want to be a Space Marine, I don't want to be kidnapped or abandoned by my parents at a young to be brainwashed, mutated, steroid injected killing machine. I'll keep my humanity thank you very much

Lord Aaron
10-08-2010, 06:10
scouts are scouts cus they have to do some thing epic to get noticed by the higher ups so they know that ya, maybe he's ready to become a space marine.

example

Scout Commander::: scouts! we are sending you on a suicide mission! you have to run 50 miles in the dark and find a ork fortress that may or may not be there and either way is probably guarded by 1000's of orks. once you find this fort, you have to get inside some how and set charges to blow the giant 100 foot doors off the hinges so we can walk in the front door, then get out before the 1000's of orks find, kill, and probably stick your head on a spike, you.

Scout: wait a sec, that sounds crazy!? :eek:

Commander: yup it sure is.

Scout: well what the hell are the marines going to be doing during all this?:confused:

Commander: well you know that door you just blew off and orks are now streaming threw to get at you? well, we are going to be walking out of a metal crate, that was just dropped from space just out side the main door, and charge in to all those orks, who are going to probably be very pissed about the door, guns blazing! :D

Scout: Holy **** that even more crazy then what we just did!:wtf:

Commander: ya, thats why your just a scout and we are marines. :rolleyes:

Commander: O! and if you survive your little scouting mission, you will join us in the crates, next time we do this!:D

jsullivanlaw
10-08-2010, 20:25
hey guys, I was just wondering, if you could choose to be a marine, (u know,go back to puberty and do the training) would you? would you become a super badass killing machine made for war knowing what you know? or would u just live a regular bland average human life and die a quiet death a few decades later?:skull: what chapter would you join anyway? (and yes, even if ur a girl you can still join, just make sure you wear your armour at all times!

Definitely not, i like my reproductive organs intact...

kane40k
11-08-2010, 00:21
what give up sex, drugs and rock'n'roll. nah mate, milking cows, feeding calves, watching my boy grow up is enough excitement for me. plus i would miss the All Blacks kicking the wallabies ass tonight(i may live to regret that statement yet:) ). for all you boys and girls who dont know, thats the New zealand(lord of the rings film set) VS the Australian rugby team.

Id become Slaaneshi :)
that would be SICK! 2x the height and 34542355456865x the indulgance. WIN!

LonelyPath
11-08-2010, 00:30

Thanks, but I believe we all have worth :)

ehlijen
11-08-2010, 01:46
Something I have never understood is why are Scouts the newbies, I mean seriously. Scouts have to infiltrate enemy, eliminate key targets whether living or material. IRl they conduct dangerous raids to rescue capture personnel or capture personnel, get accurate information about the enemy.

Space Marines leave this crap for the new guys? Scouts in modern day are highly trained and experienced. I just don't understand it. But thats what you get when you play a game where Space Marines fire .75 cal case less exploding rockets from guns that eject empty shells.

Scouts are only newbies compared to the battle brothers. The total effort required to make a scout is still equal to, if not more than, that of training a contemporary elites forces soldier.
But while contemporary forces are otherwise made up of guardsmen equivalents, marine chapters otherwise only have even more difficult to create battle brothers.

Scouts don't get those missions because they are newbies. They get them because everyone else is unsuited for those missions.

Normal marine combat doctrine has no place for cover ops, and they are equipped in line with that thinking. Yet the codex acknowledges the necessity of covert ops. Who would you send then? The adequately trained scouts whose equipment is not specialised enough to get in the way of such a mission, or the battle brothers whose extra training and gear is designed around shock and awe rather at the expense of stealth?

There's a few more reasons too:
-Scouts aren't strong enough to stand in the battle line (no power armour yet for example), so they have to fight somewhere else to get the experience
-Scout operations are often small scale and autonomous, letting the scouts learn about leadership as well as fighting

deacon52
11-08-2010, 15:12
i think the wolves and black templars have the right idea, chuck the newbies into the thick of it. they have plenty of experienced guys around them to learn from.

if the space wolves can put experienced guys in scout armour, then so can everyone else. you dont want the least experienced guys operating behind the lines, that in my opinion would be the death of your chapter.

weareblind
11-08-2010, 15:44

No, not at all. No sex mate, it's not a happy world one without it...
Better be in the Imperial Guard! :D

Zerox
11-08-2010, 22:38
I think i would prefer to be a human lol.

overlordofnobodies
12-08-2010, 01:20
Short answer.NO
Long answer. Hell NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
If I could be turn into some thing I would pick a demon price. Hell even some undead monster but theres no way I'm becomes a space tinman.

Wednesday Friday Addams
12-08-2010, 01:45
I(all life being female by default, requiring extra chromosomes to be male).

Completely off topic.
Sex is not all determined the same way in all life (life with sexes that is) as it is in humans (and in humans it is a different chromosome not an extra one)

Col. Dash
12-08-2010, 01:47
Except for maybe post heresy Raven Guard, I find I agree more with the Night lords philosphy and would go that way if I had the option. A jet pack and power sword and send me flying after criminals.

"Im Batman."

TheMav80
12-08-2010, 06:49
"Im the god damned Batman."

Fixed that for you. ;)

TheLaughingGod
12-08-2010, 07:54
What? Be a puny Mon-keigh??

Well, if I have to, Dark Angels. 1st Legion all the way. Best training, best equipment, best geneseed, best Primarch, No question.

Hellebore
12-08-2010, 07:59
Bah! And double Bah! The sons of Russ laugh in the face of your dress wearing emos.

But seriously, I'd be the kind of space marine that isn't one. The best kind of space marine.

Hellebore

TheLaughingGod
12-08-2010, 08:38
Bah! And double Bah! The sons of Russ laugh in the face of your dress wearing emos.

But seriously, I'd be the kind of space marine that isn't one. The best kind of space marine.

Hellebore

Outrageous. The Sons of Russ have daddy abandonment issues and are resisting a 12 step program. At least the Dark Angels have the sense to use wholesome ecclesiarchy approved self flagellation.

The best kind of Space Marine is a Harlequin pretending to be one with a holofield.

spurker
12-08-2010, 10:00
But eh, I'll get a Hollywood movie starring Bruce Willis and an autobiography written by Richard Hammond.

Um, you could get a biography written by Richard Hammond. An autobiography is one you write yourself. Sorry for being pernickety and pedantic!

There's no sex mentioned in 40K fluff because having children read/learn/watch films about sex is still seen as "perverted" by many. Weirdly, having them read/learn/watch films about violence is fine.

I'd be a Slaanesh Chaos space marine. Still get sex, and get to wipe about the ignorant lazy sheep that make up humanity!

Godzooky
12-08-2010, 10:08
Um, you could get a biography written by Richard Hammond. An autobiography is one you write yourself. Sorry for being pernickety and pedantic!

Unless Richard Hammond is in fact a biographical ghost writer when he's not crashing dragsters, pushing northern shopping trolleys or dropping buildings on flaming caravans with the other Clarkson padawan...

spurker
12-08-2010, 10:12
Good point, I hadn't thought of ghostwriting!

Gimp
12-08-2010, 10:20
Right now living in the world we live in then no. I like my life thanks.

However if I lived on some ****** world in the 40k universe then yes. Hell if you living in such an aweful time you may as well be the biggest baddass

Brother captain Agrippa
12-08-2010, 13:54
there is no doubt in my mind, I would join up ASAP... being one of the most powerfull humans, if you can call them that. help shape the future, how can anyone say no to that. i for one dont care about all the things you would lose, considering what you get...

Raven1
12-08-2010, 14:07
I'd be a Slaanesh Chaos space marine. Still get sex, and get to wipe about the ignorant lazy sheep that make up humanity!

That's assuming a Slaanesh marine can have sex, it would require blessing from Slaanesh for him to do that and let's be honest I don't think it would turn out um you know normal. It would probably be better to be a regular human in a Slaanesh cult if you went that route.

Plus, don't forget at that point you would be into anything that could arouse the emotions many sexual deviancies have nothing to do with sexual intercourse, infantalism for one, is more about being treated like a baby and getting your poopy diapers changed. i just kind of figure that Slaanesh marines are all to drugged out, and cutting themselves to see if they still feel (anyone get that music reference?) Then throw in some sado-masochism or a combination of any of the many sexual decencies most of which would want to make you puke and that's a Slaanesh Marine to me.

In essence more into flaying a living victim and wearing the skin, as opposed to having sex while on ecstasy. That however is my opinion

spurker
12-08-2010, 15:11
That's assuming a Slaanesh marine can have sex, it would require blessing from Slaanesh for him to do that and let's be honest I don't think it would turn out um you know normal. It would probably be better to be a regular human in a Slaanesh cult if you went that route.

Plus, don't forget at that point you would be into anything that could arouse the emotions many sexual deviancies have nothing to do with sexual intercourse, infantalism for one, is more about being treated like a baby and getting your poopy diapers changed. i just kind of figure that Slaanesh marines are all to drugged out, and cutting themselves to see if they still feel (anyone get that music reference?) Then throw in some sado-masochism or a combination of any of the many sexual decencies most of which would want to make you puke and that's a Slaanesh Marine to me.

In essence more into flaying a living victim and wearing the skin, as opposed to having sex while on ecstasy. That however is my opinion

This made me laugh and be sick in my mouth at the same time!

spevna
12-08-2010, 15:24
-he trains as a soldier.

It's amazing that one post can be so full of confidence but so completely full of FAIL at the same time. Warseer has reached a new low.

Godzooky
12-08-2010, 15:52
It's amazing that one post can be so full of confidence but so completely full of FAIL at the same time. Warseer has reached a new low.

It actually sounds like one night he had a ridiculous dream about the path of a marine (having not trained for puberty, mind) that was so vivid he woke up and decided it was now official GW canon. Either that, or he's a master of irony and is currently chuckling at us all for taking the bait.

If that's the case, shame on you, Pyriel! You have to use a smiley. That's the rule. :shifty:

Gimp
12-08-2010, 16:15
-he trains as a soldier.

I dont want to sound mean dude but are we playing the same game here?

Because in all my years of playing Marines (and other races) and believe me thats alot of years and alot of marines, I have never heard this fluff.

Mortarion74
18-08-2010, 18:29
I dont want to sound mean dude but are we playing the same game here?

Because in all my years of playing Marines (and other races) and believe me thats alot of years and alot of marines, I have never heard this fluff.

I think you are missing most of the back story to the game you are playing, in basic form 40k is based on issac Acimov's foundation trilogy with the whole dark age of tech been regarded as a religion, with a smattering of frank herberts Dune, Space marines are basically Sadukar.

then take a look at the vast amount of books and stuff you can get rom GW about all the background from the Horus Herasy 10,000 years back to the dark future of the 40k universe.

woodfin
18-08-2010, 18:33
The only thing I would be is a gang member in a hive world so I don't have to die in a matter of seconds.

noobzilla
18-08-2010, 18:38
I'd much rather be a serf for space marines than be one.

TBH I'd like to be a Vindicare assassin.

Vindicare eh? I'd prefer Callidus or whatever the super psyker guy is.

Brother captain Agrippa
20-08-2010, 19:16
am i really the only one who wants to be space marine?? most people thinks its a rather sucky life, but think of all the glory, and all the good you can do..

sharkaithegreat
20-08-2010, 19:20
I'd be a space marine, but then convert to chaos.

Flame Boy
20-08-2010, 21:36
Well, on the plus sides, there is job security (0% unemployment in a marine chapter), you may not get much free time, but you don't need as much sleep, so you can be more productive, you get the best toys available (anything better is probably owned by the Inquisition or Adeptus Mechanicus, so you wouldn't know of it anyway), and you have a clear purpose in life. Your boss doesn't sit behind a desk counting money, he flies about on a jetpack powered by distilled awesome encouraging everyone to fight harder by example, and if you die, you'll probably get you name on a shiny plaque somewhere in the fortress monastery that's polished daily by a chapter serf, who wishes they could be you.

Overall, it's not as bad as you think, if you overlook the whole getting melted by an alien death-ray thing. :p

woodfin
20-08-2010, 22:00
Well, on the plus sides, there is job security (0% unemployment in a marine chapter), you may not get much free time, but you don't need as much sleep, so you can be more productive, you get the best toys available (anything better is probably owned by the Inquisition or Adeptus Mechanicus, so you wouldn't know of it anyway), and you have a clear purpose in life. Your boss doesn't sit behind a desk counting money, he flies about on a jetpack powered by distilled awesome encouraging everyone to fight harder by example, and if you die, you'll probably get you name on a shiny plaque somewhere in the fortress monastery that's polished daily by a chapter serf, who wishes they could be you.

Overall, it's not as bad as you think, if you overlook the whole getting melted by an alien death-ray thing. :p

I still would rather be a ganger.

-Don't have to worry about a commissioner waiting for a excuse to shoot you.

-No dealing with many races besides maybe a merc once in a while.

-All the people in the underhive wish they could be you.

-You still get to play with neat toys but don't have to worry about following the laws besides a few enforcers.

-Being 100% human

-More freedom of speech compared to the rest of the worlds.

mrln68
20-08-2010, 22:04
am i really the only one who wants to be space marine?? most people thinks its a rather sucky life, but think of all the glory, and all the good you can do..

Should maybe reread what they are...not much glory (other than from the 1000 or so other people who think they are great too) and not much good being done (if they were trying to do good - they would have thrown off the restraints of Mars and their silly STC crap, allied up with the Tau and maybe the Eldar and kicked the crap out of the Orks, Tyranids, Necron and Chaos). As it stands right now - being a spacey marine isn't that great. They aren't really good guys. Most of them have huge daddy issues, and the ones who don't have some sort of genetic deformity which makes them slightly above a chimpanzee.

If I had to choose a 40K archetype - maybe something like a Rogue Trader wouldn't be too bad either...but definitely not something directly within the cogs of the Imperial machine.

ColShaw
20-08-2010, 22:24
I'd like to be in the PDF of a planet far, far away from any warzones. :)

Brother captain Agrippa
20-08-2010, 22:54
Should maybe reread what they are...not much glory (other than from the 1000 or so other people who think they are great too) and not much good being done (if they were trying to do good - they would have thrown off the restraints of Mars and their silly STC crap, allied up with the Tau and maybe the Eldar and kicked the crap out of the Orks, Tyranids, Necron and Chaos).
i honestly donīt think the tau nor the Eldar would agree to an alliance with the imperium, and even if they did, i dont think it would last long.
and i may have chosen the wrong word when i said "good" but they do help keeping the imperium together. and thats.. well sort of "good", i know there is no good or bad guys in the 41st millenium, its all a matter og perspective.

mrln68
21-08-2010, 01:01
The current Empire? No - probably not. However if SM were "good" and actually interested in keeping the Imperium from falling to pieces - it would be a different world. Give the Earth Caste the resources of one Imperial sector and in a few years time - you would have land speeders that could take out a titan and have a hundred drones under its control that can do the same.

The Eldar pretty much are a live and let live type as long as it doesn't interfere with their concerns. Treaty agreement...the Imperium leaves Exodite and maiden worlds alone, Eldar leave them alone. Tau aren't too far off from that. They are not usually the aggressor in things.

Now if the Eldar were to act as advisors to the Earth caste who had access to the resources of an Imperial sector...that one land speeder would be able to turn back a Black Crusade.

Take out the necrons, orks and then get them silly Tau working on a chaos shop-vac to take care of the warp that had spilled into real space. With those out of the way - a massive fleet of ships goes and hunts down the hive mind to give it a good one-two.

If you look at the vast majority of the background info, normally it is the Imperium who causes the issues. Xenophobic, superstitious things that they are. Orks, necron, tyranids and chaos can't be negotiated with. Eldar and Tau...not really a huge issue. Even the Emperor screwed the pooch on that one.

Col. Tartleton
21-08-2010, 01:09
For everyone flaying Pyriel alive in this thread, while he is canonically wrong his version is (lets be honest here) the only one that makes real sense. If they were being realistic it would be:

The Imperium inducts the (top?) 10% of the Imperial Armed Forces into the Imperial Guard (which are by definition Space Marines as opposed to the Nation Guard equivalent Planetary Defense Forces) planets may offer more then 10% but are required to pay 10% unless they have tax write offs like being a forgeworld. (This is Canon)

You then train in the Imperial Guard (who are lets remember already the elite soldiers) and if you are in say the top one percentile you are "invited" by a grizzled Scout Gunnery Sergeant to try your hand at a shot with the "real soldiers". Then you spend two years honing your skills until you're accepted or rejected by "Space Marine Recon" aka the scout corps. From there you spend ten years in a near constant state of surgical operations, intensive training, and high risk operations whittling the number of applicants down to the point they either fill the casualties of the chapter or are locked up in a short list in the off chance the chapter is at "full strength" then when they are accepted into the Astartes they are about thirty years old, mature, and incredibly good and lucky at what they do.

That's what would make sense if they really were "the best of the best"... but its certainly not the cannon. Instead they're just child soldiers turned into psychotic armor clad one man armies. Nothing to sneeze at and far more in the "this is legitimately insane" atmosphere of the game universe.

callsign-husker
21-08-2010, 01:50
Would much rather live out a couple a hundred years as a non-marine but given the risks of Imperial Guard drafting, cultist/revolutionary terrorism, being worked (literally) to death and your world becomming a battlezone I'd have to say stick me with the geneseed and strap some armour on me everytime

kormas
21-08-2010, 05:39
IZ WANTS TO BE AN ULTRAMEEENZ!!!!!!!

sorry couldnt help it :p, these threads make me laugh a little when ever i read them, reminds me of when i heard a bunch of little kids having a pretty heated argument over something pretty similar to this :p.

(no offence to posters here intended)

but for the record it would indeed be a pretty sucky life

Freman Bloodglaive
21-08-2010, 12:34
Although I like to play with Space Marines, I don't think I'd want to be one.

I wouldn't mind being an Inquisitor, probably Thorian, definitely a psyker, with a couple of death cult assassins at my beck and call.

With access to the top level medical treatments of the day I'd live as long as a Space Marine, with Inquisitorial mandate I'd have access to the best equipment, and if a planet irritated me I'd exterminatus it.

Of course if I could really wing it, I'd be a Sensei, one of the Sons of the Emperor. That might be trying too hard though.