PDA

View Full Version : Noob q on WOC loadout

Samurai33
07-08-2010, 08:32
Gents,

Just started WFB and a WOC army. I'm trying to find some good loadouts for my warriors was wondering why it seems everyone is giving warriors with MoK halbards and shields?

I would have thought giving them extra HW for a 4th attack would be the obvious choice (granted I haven't really studied the new BRB so I could be missing something)?

Also what loadout would be best for a warrior unit with MoN?

Thanks in advance.

Kardon
07-08-2010, 10:45
I like 2 loadouts for my warrior regiments. Mok halberds and shields on one. Halberds for str5 and u still strike in initiative order(first usually unless theres some pesky elves). The reason why I prefer halberds is that u wound the most common troops on 2. wich should net u more kills then the extra attack. The shield are there only for protecting vs shooting. The other loadout is MoTz and shield. they work as the tarpit with 3+/5++ save in cc, and with the blasted standard 4++ save vs shooting. MoN should be equipped for what u want the unit to do. If u want survival over killy go with shields, if u want killy over survival go with halberds/Ahw. Ofc this is my opinion and it may differ from others, but I think I got it right.

edit; if u read the first few posts of the tactica most is explained quite good there.

Dreadgrass
07-08-2010, 11:17
In a nutshell, Halberd VS AHW is a case on quantity VS quality, essentially, you've already got 3 attacks, you can either stack even more attacks on top, or you can increase the quality of your already large number of strikes, also, the higher strength also increases the supporting attacks effectiveness, where AHW does not.

teleologica
07-08-2010, 12:31
Agreed with the above. I don't want to have to go into the maths of it (it's buried somewhere in the WoC Tactica thread if you're interested) but people have worked it out, and against virtually all enemies, 3 S5 attacks will kill more on typical dice than 4 S4.

Samurai33
07-08-2010, 15:09
Brilliant guys. Thanks so much for clearing this up for me.

ChrisIronBrow
07-08-2010, 15:35
Yeah, the only real advantage of AHW over Halberds seems to be that each model has an extra attack, so after taking multiple losses you still have most of your attacks, and that an extra attack is exponentially better when your using Augment spells to make your attacks better.

For example, a unit of Khorne Chaos Warriors with AHW joined by festus the Leechlord means that each model is putting out 4 x str 4 poisoned attacks.