PDA

View Full Version : gaarew's Mantic Musings & Miscellaneous Miniature Menagerie.

gaarew
07-08-2010, 16:40
Guess I should just jump right in eh?

Well, after almost 20 years in the hobby, I've never actually got around to finishing a full Warhammer army, hell, I've never even come close, so, with the release of 8th edition, I am going to (try and) rectify that.

Now, I generally prefer 'Evil' armies and big monsters, so I'm going for something different this time. Dwarfs. Mantic's Dwarfs to be precise, as they are cracking models, that paint up a treat, and are a helluva lot cheaper than GW's, which, as the father of 2.4 Minions, is great. Due to said minions, and the fact I'm constant nightshift, I don't game in my local GW anyway, so, an army of non-GW isn't an issue. I'm sure over the course of this I'll add in a few bits and bobs from various other lines too.

So, the army...

Hitting the big 3-0, and Father's Day, meant a little cash boost went into the minis fund, meaning a lot of Ironclad boxes were pre-ordered. Beautiful, and handy kit, which will form the basis of my Warrior, Longbeard, Hammerer and Ironclad units. Similarly, the Ironwatch kit covers Quarrellers, Thunderers and Rangers. (Good job I picked up some of those too.)

The full army deal isn't out until later this month, so I have a few weeks at least to really try and bulk up my units, and I'll be aiming to get a 2800 point army done as soon as possible. That being the local consensus for game size despite my insistence on 3k (if only to field 12 Bolt Throwers...).

So, what is the plan? Don't really have one to be honest. I'll probably try and paint up at least one unit of twenty models for every option in the list, plus a couple of warmachines, and at least one of each character. I know I want to field at least one Horde unit, probably Warriors with great weapons, or possibly Hammerers.

Yeah, that's about it so far, I'll leave you with a couple of shots of what I've got done so far, plus what is on the workbench.

20 Dwarf Warriors, Full Command, HW & Shield (transfers still to be added)

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y224/gaarew/Mantic/20.jpg

10 Dwarf Warriors, Full Command, Great Weapon (the start of a mighty Horde0

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y224/gaarew/Mantic/Pic005.jpg

there are another 10 of these on the paint station just needing some static grass on the base.

Next up, I have a unit of 20 Longbeards (HW&S) and 20 Hammerers, both at the primed and inked stage, although, with 2 decent close combat units finished (or thereabouts) it might be time to add some missile support. At least one unit of both Quarrellers and Thunderers. Not too sure about command options, but I reckon 50 Quarrellers with GW's would be a serious threat.

Aye, so that is about it for just now. No doubt my gamer OCD will kick in soon, and I'll have something completely different on the go, but, well, yeah, that would probably be short lived and I'll get back to the Dwarfs...

mrtn
07-08-2010, 20:31
Looks good. How will you show a difference between the different units? Making GW warriors and hammerers from the same kit seems like a recipe for confusion. Likewise longbeards and ordinary warriors.

logan054
07-08-2010, 22:47
Look pretty good mate, i think seeing these is making me want to start a mantic dwarf army even more.

gaarew
08-08-2010, 00:45
Cheers guys.

How will you show a difference between the different units? Making GW warriors and hammerers from the same kit seems like a recipe for confusion. Likewise longbeards and ordinary warriors.

Well, the Warriors will use the scheme above, keeping the beards browns/yellows/oranges/black, the Longbeards will use the same scheme, but all the beards will be grey/white/cream, and they might have a bit more gold decoration, and the Hammerers and Ironbreakers will have major gold trimmings. The Hammerers (see thumbnail above) already stand out from my GW Warriors as, bar the Champion, they are all built identically (except the hammers), plus, they have shields.

freebooter
08-08-2010, 05:12
Looking really good mate.
I particularly like the work on your great weapons. I'm still a little undecided on these minis, but their GW troops look business, might pick up a pack or two :)

What transfers for the shields were you thinking of?

Darsc Zacal
08-08-2010, 05:41
I'd be curious on what you're planning on using for the shields as well.

Looking very nice so far.:cool:

gaarew
08-08-2010, 17:03
Cheers guys.

For the shields I picked up some transfers from Veni Vidi Vici (http://www.3vwargames.co.uk/prodindex.htm)

25mm Fantasy > Heroes > Mailed Fist (30)

http://www.3vwargames.co.uk/graphics/HE7.jpg

Got them in white to contrast with the blue. The fact I'd already painted them blue kinda ruled out the Dwarf sets as they are a red/blue combo.

In other news, started building up a unit of Quarrellers. Dunno whether to just make the unit of 20 straight from the box, or add in some of the spares from the Ironclad sprues to give them a full command group.

Chicken Pig
08-08-2010, 17:27
Great work here Gaarew, a simple but effective scheme. The transfers look pretty nice too. Any plans for any conversions to the army? Are you planning on doing any of the metal minis?

logan054
08-08-2010, 18:11
A design like that you could easily just freehand onto the shields rather than wasting money, possible alter it slightly, just adds that little extra to the army.

Darsc Zacal
08-08-2010, 18:16
A design like that you could easily just freehand onto the shields rather than wasting money, possible alter it slightly, just adds that little extra to the army.

Talented folk like yourself and gaarew may be able to do a design like that in freehand...but for myself... I'd need those transfers.:shifty:

gaarew
08-08-2010, 18:28
Great work here Gaarew, a simple but effective scheme. The transfers look pretty nice too. Any plans for any conversions to the army? Are you planning on doing any of the metal minis?

Cheers. I find that simple is best, anything that covers black in one coat is good in my book. Needs to be, I currently have 140 more of these guys still to paint. This will increase a lot when my 2 Dwarf army deals turn up so, 8 characters, 20 Slayers, 10 Ironbeards (to be used as front rank of Ironbreakers), another 80 Warriors, 80 Quarrellers/Thunderers, and 10 warmachines...

So, yeah, I'm planning on tackling the metals, and I'll be looking at using the second box of heroes for conversion purposes. I'm thinking specifically a Lord with Shieldbearers and a Runelord with anvil. Once I see the actual cannon sprue, I might be able to sort out a conversion with that too.

Maybe if it was my Uruk-hai army, but I really don't fancy trying to replicate a uniform design on what could amount to a few hundred shields... If I was a bit less cack-handed, maybe.

:)

logan054
08-08-2010, 19:05
Talented folk like yourself and gaarew may be able to do a design like that in freehand...but for myself... I'd need those transfers.:shifty:

Freehands like roses and fits are very easy to do, its just combining basis shapes, i mean if you want to paint a piece of art then it indeed can be hard to replicate. I certainly wouldn't want to attempt some of the things i have done one my banners over and over again on a much smaller scale. Believe it or not i thought i couldn't do freehand shields and banners until only a few months ago but after seeing what someone else and did and people getting over excited about it, i had ago and conquered, you really shouldn't sell yourself short!

Cheers for compliment however:):cool:

Maybe if it was my Uruk-hai army, but I really don't fancy trying to replicate a uniform design on what could amount to a few hundred shields... If I was a bit less cack-handed, maybe.

Dude thats a load of crap, i tend to shake when i spend to long painting, if I cam replicate a simple design anyone can! at the end of the day you've gone this far, why not go the whole mile, when you mange to do it you will be that much more proud rather than 6 months down the line thinknig about you wish you had done the freehand shields, Logan knows from past experience.

Purplebeard
08-08-2010, 22:26
They look like interesting models. Dwarves are always good in my opinion - and the blue/red colour scheme seems bold & strong -very apt for dwarves. I know Justin from Veni Vidi Vici, so I can't possibly comment about whether you should use transfers or paint freehand!

gaarew
14-08-2010, 07:46
Dude thats a load of crap, i tend to shake when i spend to long painting, if I cam replicate a simple design anyone can!

You can be in the select group of people that has more faith in me than I do. So far, that's you, the missus and my 3 year old...

:p

Still, plodding on, too much effort to choose between a unit of Thunderers or Quarrellers, so I figure I'll just do 20 of each in one fell swoop. Which I'm hoping to have finished by Thursday at the lastest, as the Army Deal should be arriving then.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y224/gaarew/Mantic/Pic043.jpg

And yes, I kitbashed them a bit to give them both a full command group.

Also, the gauntlet has been thrown down. Someone from my local club is itching for a 10k game, so, I really need to get planning how many Dwarfs that is.

lord marcus
15-08-2010, 23:40
well, which unit are we talking? regular warriors with shields are nine a piece, so divide 10,000 by nine.

freebooter
16-08-2010, 01:26
You don't want shields, you want Great Weapons :)

gaarew
16-08-2010, 07:50
well, which unit are we talking? regular warriors with shields are nine a piece, so divide 10,000 by nine.

That would be 1111.11111 Dwarfs with shield. Still, I'm going to need at least one hero/lord to act as the general, so, ever so slightly less. Three units of almost 370 Dwarfs with shields plus a hero with shield is far from my ideal army...

You don't want shields, you want Great Weapons :)

That's more like it. At least two 50 strong units with Great Weapons. Plus the Hammerers. And 2 units of Slayers. Hell, at that size of game I could always just upgrade all 28 non command models to Giantslayers...

I will add the list to the first post once I have double-checked my opponent is still keen to do this.

In other news, work is being carried out at a frantic pace to get these Ironwatch done before Thursday. I really need to get them finished so I can be distracted by big guns and characters without feeling guilty.

freebooter
16-08-2010, 09:41
Knew my Dwarven ways were in the right... Nothing beats a good heavy great-axe :)

Ancre
16-08-2010, 17:21
Nice start. It's great to see more picture of those mantic dwarves, they look ok as a model, I don't like them that much, but you paint them well.

I'd like to see a better picture of the thunderers & quarellers though !

And I wish you good luck for that 10k battle project :cheese:

Da Eavy
16-08-2010, 21:27
Nothing beats a good heavy great-axe :)

One thing does........another Great-axe :D

freebooter
17-08-2010, 00:56
For 8th is the age of the Dwarves! :D

gaarew
18-08-2010, 16:49
Knew my Dwarven ways were in the right... Nothing beats a good heavy great-axe :)

Man, I really wouldn't take any tactical advice on my say-so. I operate a very simple 'It's in the army coz it looks cool' policy. I don't give a rat's ass if it considered a good unit. It causes untold 'discussion' with my tourny obsessed mate...

Still, there are very few opponents Dwarfs will strike first, so, cool factor supports rules mechanic.

Nice start. It's great to see more picture of those mantic dwarves, they look ok as a model, I don't like them that much, but you paint them well.

I'd like to see a better picture of the thunderers & quarellers though !

And I wish you good luck for that 10k battle project :cheese:

Scroll down. Poor quality pics due to typical Scottish weather...

And thanks, 10k seems pretty ambitious for my first fully painted Warhammer army, but, with these 2 new units, and the 10 with GW's, that's me nearly at 1000 points already.

One thing does........another Great-axe :D

There will be much axes, multiple axes, and a lot of big guns.

Anyhoo, picture time...

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y224/gaarew/Mantic/Pic050a.jpg

So, next on the agenda? Dunno. I have the 20 strong units of Longbeards and Hammerers ready to go, and have sorted out the neccessary bits for another 20 each of Crossbows and Thunderers. Army deal should arrive tomorrow (fingers crossed) so I'll be adding a hero as soon as possible, and probably a cannon or three. And an Organ gun.

gaarew
23-08-2010, 17:32
Right, well, there has been a slight delay in the army deal turning up, but not to fear, that means I can try and clear some of the 200ish infantry backlog before I get distracted.

Started on the two units I had already primed and washed, have done the bases, skin and beards. The Longbeards all have varying shades of white, grey and cream beards to differentiate them from the Warriors, plus I'll add extra gold detailing to them at a later stage. Working on the Hammerers cloaks just now in a nice regal purple.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y224/gaarew/Mantic/Pic.jpg

Once the cloaks are done, it'll be a case of just blasting through all 40 models as the same colours will be used on them all.

In other news, got our 10k game details sorted. We are going to do an escalation type campaign, with 500 point increments. So, that's a legal 500 point army for starters, which must be fully painted and based, and then a game, then a flurry of activity to get another 500 points painted up for the next game. Units on the roster can't be removed, but can be added too, and characters must keep the same magic items/runes, although they can be promoted in time. I guess that makes me the lucky one, as Scott might have a hard time squeezing in some brutal Daemon Princes until we hit a higher points total. We haven't set a timescale for this between work, kids and whatnot, so it could take a while. I'm quite glad I've churned out a fair amount of Core models as it is tempting to try and clear the required 2.5k points before getting carried away with big guns and uber heroes. Looking at the list I'd made up, I might have to change it slightly to allow for easy 500 point picks.

gaarew
24-08-2010, 11:00
Reinforcements have arrived! gaarew's gratuitous gunwerks will commence production shortly.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y224/gaarew/Mantic/Pic061.jpg

Actually, that's not all. There are 4 boxes missing, although I might be persuaded to hand out an internet cookie to anyone who can guess what's in the fifth case down (the blank one).

huinipachutli
24-08-2010, 13:46
The blank case contains... shoes!

Mantic dwarves are awesome, thats fact.

gaarew
24-08-2010, 20:54
Nope, not shoes. I'd struggle to get a pair in the box the army came in...

Yes, the models are indeed awesome. The King's Council are some of the best minis I have seen in 20 years of gaming, and, barring some drilling out of cannon barrels, I've sorted out and cleaned up enough bits to assemble 4 warmachines in the morning after work.

Ancre
24-08-2010, 21:13
The white box contain your very own book of grudges ? :)

I'm happy to see your dwarfs again ! Will you show us the king's council ? I am not interested in the troops, but I may buy the heroes for Mordheim, so I want to see them.

Edit : oh, mantic released pictures of them. Good. But I still want to see yours as well ! Keep on painting ! :D

vinush
25-08-2010, 07:11
white dwarfs? Were you a competition winner?

gaarew
25-08-2010, 14:09
The white box contain your very own book of grudges ? :)

I'm happy to see your dwarfs again ! Will you show us the king's council ? I am not interested in the troops, but I may buy the heroes for Mordheim, so I want to see them.

Edit : oh, mantic released pictures of them. Good. But I still want to see yours as well ! Keep on painting ! :D

No, not quite, it's still at the book binders. It took me ages to peel enough skin from my last opponent to get enough for the cover...

I'll post a picture of the next batch once they are primed and inked. It means the detail will be crisper with the wash, rather than the flash reflecting off of bare metal. And I'll keep painting. Still at least 8.5k points to go. :)

white dwarfs? Were you a competition winner?

Seeing as they haven't been announced yet, no. Although you are on the right track. ;)

So, cleaned up almost everything from the 1st army deal, which means I have to get this -

Dwarf Lord
Runesmith
Battle Standard Bearer
Slayer Hero
2 Cannons and Crew
2 Organ Guns and Crew
Flamecannon and Crew
5 Ironguard
(10 Berserkers, yet to arrive)

built and painted before the 8th of October, so that I can hit up the Mantic Open Day with a fully painted Dwarf Army deal.

Of course, should I get through that lot, there is plenty more I can add in.

axel18
26-08-2010, 10:24
Fantastic looking army dude, do the hammerers hammers come like that with the mantic sprues?

Also if you don't mind me asking what basing colours are you using? I've been trying to do something similar but can never quite seem to get it right colourwise.

gaarew
26-08-2010, 13:32
Primed, Washed and Good to go!

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y224/gaarew/Mantic/Pic064.jpg

None of the warmachine components are glued yet, except the flamethrower handle, as I figured they would be easier to paint in bits. Although, once I pull them apart I'll see where the primer missed. Obviously, that's the bits that don't need painted then.

Will you show us the king's council ? I am not interested in the troops, but I may buy the heroes for Mordheim, so I want to see them.

King and Berserker
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y224/gaarew/Mantic/Pic063.jpg

Runesmith and Standard
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y224/gaarew/Mantic/Pic062.jpg

Better picture of the King
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y224/gaarew/Mantic/Pic065.jpg

I'm itching to start him, but I am also pretty apprehensive about doing the model justice.

Fantastic looking army dude, do the hammerers hammers come like that with the mantic sprues?

Also if you don't mind me asking what basing colours are you using? I've been trying to do something similar but can never quite seem to get it right colourwise.

Cheers dude.

The 'Hammerers' are based on the sculpt with shield and open hand, and there are, between the command and troop sprue, a total of 4 different styles of hammer as seperate components, bar the champion the entire unit is built with the cloaked legs, closed helm/shield torso, and hammers.

Base is - Scorched Brown and P3 Brown ink mix, drybrushed Vomit Brown, drybrushed Bleached Bone, topped with Scorched Grass and Dead Grass and rimmed (:p ) with the SBrown/P3 ink mix.

Hope that helps.

So, the 'Hammerers' and 'Longbeards' will take a backseat for the time being, seeing as I want to paint up a few cannons and organ guns, as well as really needing to paint a hero to give me a fully painted legal army.

Keep the comments coming folks, I need some encouragement to get through what, at last count is approx 400 Dwarfs (not including the 80 I've already finished).

Chicken Pig
26-08-2010, 14:00
Gaarew, I am loving the quality and speed at which you are painting. You have set yourself one hell of a task, but at this rate you can do it. Good luck, Avance!

gaarew
26-08-2010, 23:11
Gaarew, I am loving the quality and speed at which you are painting. You have set yourself one hell of a task, but at this rate you can do it. Good luck, Avance!

Thanks very much dude.

Little update (sssssh, don't tell anybody but I used something smaller than a basing brush... ;) )

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y224/gaarew/Mantic/Pic066.jpg

But seriously, I do want to spend a bit more time on him than I have done with the rank and file models. Not too much though, I don't want him to look out of place.

orlanth1000
27-08-2010, 05:40
So are you Airbrushing them a base metal color then, washing them?

orlanth1000
27-08-2010, 05:53
Actually you need to do a tutorial.

I have a 5k GW Dwarf I'm gonna start this weekend, so I want to see your tricksies.

gaarew
27-08-2010, 10:52
So are you Airbrushing them a base metal color then, washing them?

No, I'm priming them Army Painter Platemail Metal primer, then washing them. ;)

Actually you need to do a tutorial.

I have a 5k GW Dwarf I'm gonna start this weekend, so I want to see your tricksies.

You mean you haven't seen this yet? Shame on you... (http://www.manticgames.com/Hobby/How-to/Painting-Ironclads-by-Gaarew.html)

Did a bit of highlighting on the King's beard, and the robes and trim. Need to lay down some base coats on the boots, gloves, and belt, then can start bringing the colour back up, before getting down to some extreme washing (or glazing).

Hah! I almost sound as if I know what I'm doing. :p

mrtn
27-08-2010, 11:02
Nice tutorial there.

orlanth1000
27-08-2010, 20:52
No, I'm priming them Army Painter Platemail Metal primer, then washing them. ;)

You mean you haven't seen this yet? Shame on you... (http://www.manticgames.com/Hobby/How-to/Painting-Ironclads-by-Gaarew.html)

Did a bit of highlighting on the King's beard, and the robes and trim. Need to lay down some base coats on the boots, gloves, and belt, then can start bringing the colour back up, before getting down to some extreme washing (or glazing).

Hah! I almost sound as if I know what I'm doing. :p

OMG! Your famous! :D

orlanth1000
27-08-2010, 20:53
Hey you big girl, you didn't swear any where in your tutorial on the Mantic website :D

edit....you said " pants " in there you naughty boy!

gaarew
28-08-2010, 07:26
OMG! Your famous! :D

Infamous is probably more apt...

Hey you big girl, you didn't swear any where in your tutorial on the Mantic website :D

edit....you said " pants " in there you naughty boy!

I think you'll find that the published version was heavily edited from the original copy I sent to a certain Mr Palmer.

Well, today, depending on how soon I pass out, I'm planning on trying to get a bit more done on the hero. Although, i might have been better painting all the guns and crew, I'd probably have finished them by now. :p

Darsc Zacal
28-08-2010, 07:42
I'm intrigued by the use of a metal coloured primer. In the past I've tried white, black, and grey, but I found I overwhelmingly preferred the white base.

I can certainly see the advantages of a metal primer for a heavily armoured army like the dwarves. How did you find the light colours worked over the metal? I'm thinking specifically of the flesh tones, but am also curious as to how much the primer darkened colours like yellow, red, and white.

gaarew
28-08-2010, 09:16
Nice tutorial there.

Cheers dude, I am planning a few more when I get a decent camera set-up sorted.

I'm intrigued by the use of a metal coloured primer. In the past I've tried white, black, and grey, but I found I overwhelmingly preferred the white base.

I can certainly see the advantages of a metal primer for a heavily armoured army like the dwarves. How did you find the light colours worked over the metal? I'm thinking specifically of the flesh tones, but am also curious as to how much the primer darkened colours like yellow, red, and white.

Hey Darsc, well, I absolutely HATE priming anything white. I never seem to get good results, and find everything goes pretty streaky. I find that brown is a good compromise, plus it takes a lot of work out of painting belts, pouches, straps etc.

There really isn't a huge issue with light colours over the silver primer, I guess it is pretty similar to painting over white. The black wash tones it down a fair bit, which makes the coverage better. I've been using the Vallejo Extra Opaque colours which are essentially the same as the GW Foundation paints, and the flesh tone covers well with one coat. The yellows and oranges for the beards might take 2, or one less diluted coat to cover well. For the Dwarf King, I've added white trim to his armour, and that was with Astronomican Grey over the metal, followed by vallejo Off White. I'll sort out a picture as soon as to let you see. I'd also add, that you can stain the silver with washes alone, I did a Daemon Prince with a blue > purple fade on the wings, just basecoating them Chainmail and using washes to create a kinda metallicy butterfly look. Well, that is what it was meant to be like in my head.

As for different colours, I swear by Halford's Matt Black car primer for a black spray, am really liking the Platemail, and have picked up the Necrotic Flesh, Human Flesh and Bone for when I get started on my Undead army. Should make quick work of those Zombies, Ghouls and Skeletons. ;)

gaarew
29-08-2010, 21:18
We interrupt tonight's scheduled programming with the following announcement.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y224/gaarew/Mantic/Pic070.jpg

Yes, it's quite obviously not a Dwarf (although the fuzzy picture might suggest otherwise).

Basically my mate wants to run a Vamp list this weekend and needs a Wight King, and I want to try and get a test scheme done for the ToFP, so, I'm gonna kill 2 birds with one stone.

gaarew
02-09-2010, 15:50
The battle to see who will be finished first is afoot.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y224/gaarew/Mantic/Pic072.jpg

There can be only one...

Chicken Pig
03-09-2010, 00:27
Excellent work on the two characters, you are really tempting me to buy some dwarves. On a side note do you find that a lot of the detail on the Wight King merges into itself? I found it quite hard to differentiate between some parts.

But stellar work as ever.

gaarew
03-09-2010, 18:58
Cheers again dude.

Yes, there are a few areas on the Wight King where it is hard to work out what is what, which is why I have yet to start on the straps on him, the area around the waist is also a bit fuzzy.

I reckon the Dwarf Lord will be finished first, not because he did me proud on Thursday night at the club, but because my mate snagged the WK for his tournie seeing as it passed the 3 colours/based criteria.

On a side note, my Elf army just turned up too... I am resisting the urge to build 80 LSG's to combat the 150+ Zombie tarpits that have recently sprung up. Well, just until my Zombies turn up and I'll have a 300 strong tarpit of my own.

gaarew
18-09-2010, 18:28
Woooo! Braiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiins...

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y224/gaarew/Mantic/Pic075.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y224/gaarew/Mantic/Pic074.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y224/gaarew/Mantic/Pic086.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y224/gaarew/Mantic/Pic073.jpg

gaarew
18-09-2010, 18:30
And solo shots -

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y224/gaarew/Mantic/Pic076.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y224/gaarew/Mantic/Pic077.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y224/gaarew/Mantic/Pic078.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y224/gaarew/Mantic/Pic080.jpg

mrtn
18-09-2010, 19:13
Nice zombies. Good detail that there's blood on the grass.

strewart
19-09-2010, 06:09
Sweet! Cool blood effects and awesome paintwork all up. Nice work.

Old School
20-09-2010, 09:18
Wow! Fantastic job on the zobmies! Can't wait to get my lot too.

Lord_Squinty
20-09-2010, 16:24
You should do a tutorial on brass.
(cant remember the correct term for it - but the way it gets green discouloured)
Like you have on that wight king above and the undead LoTR knights you done before.

The pics aren't doing the models justice to be fair.

Squinty

gaarew
20-09-2010, 16:45
You should do a tutorial on brass.
(cant remember the correct term for it - but the way it gets green discouloured)
Like you have on that wight king above and the undead LoTR knights you done before.
The pics aren't doing the models justice to be fair.

Cheers Squint chap. At least someone has seen my stuff 'in the flesh.'

The term you are looking for is verdigris. Once I get 'my' Morgul Knights out the window, I'll get better pictures and do just that.

Glad you guys like them, I'm planning on adding at least 150 to my 2k KoW army. :D

ekxw
20-09-2010, 17:36
great zombies they look the way they have to look gore and dark, like a lot the paint job

Chicken Pig
20-09-2010, 18:46
All top stuff, how are the Dwarfs progressing as we move towards the Mantic Open Day? I wish that I was going.

gaarew
20-09-2010, 21:15
how are the Dwarfs progressing as we move towards the Mantic Open Day? I wish that I was going.

Well, slowly, as Dwarfs are well known for progressing...

Still to do -

Dwarf King - almost done. Really just some finishing off and the shield.

Berserker Lord, Warsmith, Army Standard - built, primed, washed. A long way to go.

5 Warmachines & Crew - built, primed, washed. Shouldn't take too long.

5 Ironguard - waiting to be assembled.

10 Berserkers - as above. Have started pinning hands though.

That would conclude the Steel Legion army deal, however, it isn't game legal, as it only has 4 20man units and 5 warmachines. Which means either dropping one of the big guns, or painting at least another 20 infantry.

Thankfully I have 40 infantry 'mostly' done.

I'm on holiday all next week, so after the ravages of Games Day, I should be upping production again.

Shame about the open day, was thinking of getting t-shirts made up for the Fanatics. ;)

Dino
21-09-2010, 17:54
Everyting is looking really nice. I likr the dwarf king the most. Zombies look very nice. Keep up the great work.

rob_alderman
21-09-2010, 19:11
Wow, wonderful stuff. I really, really like the zombies.

I am tempted to go to this open day thing, all fresh and new to the Mantic Scene. I met one of their salespeople at WMMS and he REALLY put me off. Seemed like a single-minded GW staffer really. But most of these guys are ex-GW IIRC. No problem with that, the miniatures are getting better for sure.

Your paintjobs are also making them more tempting...

gaarew
22-09-2010, 18:48
Cheers everyone.

Rob, you gotta remember it's the guys job. I doubt anyone could steal the thunder from the GW guys though. Remember the old Do you have paint/brushes/glue? everytime you bought something. It always made you feel something was missing when you went to Tesco and they didn't ask if you had a toaster if you were buying a loaf...

Pretty sure everyone in the gaming industry around Nottingham has some connection to GW somehow.

Anyhoo, the ToFP has begun. Apparently almost a month ago... I'm gonna be painting up some of my Undead as a Vampire Counts (As) army. ;) Although, it should be a proper KoW list anyway.

Kings of War 2000 point Undead Horde

Heroes/Monsters

Mhorgoth the Faceless - 300 points
Liche King - 150 points
Necromancer - 110 points
Army Standard Bearer - 25 points

Units

Zombie Horde (50) - 170 points
Skeleton Regiment (20), Banner, Musician - 115 points
Ghoul Regiment (20) - 80 points
Wraiths (5) - 100 points
Wraiths (5) - 100 points

War Engines

Balefire Catapult + 2 Crew - 70 points

Work will begin with the Skeleton Regiment and a Ghoul Regiment.

40 models in 8 days. Boy, am I setting myself up for a fall...

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y224/gaarew/Mantic/Pic090.jpg

Look at me all organised eh?

Da Eavy
23-09-2010, 14:43
Looking forward to seeing what you do with the skellybobs.
I'll also second the request for a tutorial on Verdigris. Copper not Brass ;)

Lord Azoth
23-09-2010, 15:07
these Zombis, and the ghouls are IMHO the best minis, for the time being, of mantic...by so faaaar

Solaaris
23-09-2010, 15:11
Nicely painted...but I really don't know if I like Mantics dwarfs...They look a little wierd somehow.

I don't know...I cant really put my finger on it

gaarew
23-09-2010, 15:30
Looking forward to seeing what you do with the skellybobs.

This...

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y224/gaarew/Mantic/Pic091.jpg

Thank goodness for coloured primers... I went a bit too heavy on the wash on the Ghouls though. Nevermind, it'll add to their varied look when I add another unit.

Test one is done though -

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y224/gaarew/Mantic/Pic092.jpg

Notes - 1. Weather is less than ideal. Priming in drizzle not a good idea, creates rough, dusty surface. Don't mind on Ghouls though, I don't expect they use Oil of Olay. (It looks really bad in pic though)

2 - As with (due to) weather, lighting not great. Still, obfuscation of rushed paintjob under macro photography is a good thing.

Time to wash dem bones.

Chicken Pig
23-09-2010, 15:58
And you complained about my Walnut Plains, it appears that your army of Undeath is forever damned to march over the denim wastelands! Drizzle and priming is always a bad combo, but I am aware that photography often makes these things look worse.

I like the test Ghoul though, far less biege than mine. I think you can bang these out in next to know time. Am very interested to see where you go with the Skellies as well. Keep it up!

strewart
24-09-2010, 02:24
Very cool looking ghoul, I do agree that he may look better with a shade or two lighter skin but still looks great.

gaarew
03-10-2010, 09:27
Well, got a little bit done on the heroes the other day, mainly just some blocking.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y224/gaarew/Mantic/Pic101.jpg

Still a long way to go before the Open Day.

The Berserkers and Ironguard still lie unassembled in the kitchen, and I'm no further forwards with the big guns.

I have made progress on my two half-done units of Ironclads though.

rob_alderman
03-10-2010, 12:59
Looking great so far.

Sometimes cans of spraypaint are just like that you know. I have heard it can be caused by an old can or even spraying too far away, so the paint actually begins to dry mid air.

I think it is more atmospheric though, as you suggest, caused by drizzle. Intense heat is supposed to be bad too.

Dino
03-10-2010, 16:10
Looking very promising dude. I really like the berserker lord. Can't wait to see more.

lord marcus
03-10-2010, 20:50
I want that warsmith as a single.

Darsc Zacal
03-10-2010, 21:12
Like the looks that the dwarven heroes are beginning to show.

Well done as always.

gaarew
04-10-2010, 08:42
I want that warsmith as a single.

I'm sure we can agree on a price once he is finished.

Chicken Pig
07-10-2010, 19:22
Have you deleted a post gaarew? I heard a rumour about 80 finished dwarfs somewhere. The heroes are looking great already, I agree with Marcus on the Warsmith, my personal favourite figure from Mantic thus far.

Good luck with getting everything done for the Mantic Open Day, sleep is for wimps (says a fellow night worker).

gaarew
07-10-2010, 19:41
Have you deleted a post gaarew? I heard a rumour about 80 finished dwarfs somewhere.

No, you misunderstood a post referencing the fact I have already posted pictures of 80 finished Dwarfs. 40 Ironclads and 40 Ironwatch. See? :p

Still, seeing as it's you, here is a little sneak peek. The lighting is especially bad, the beard isn't even close to how it looks in real life. Hopefully Da Eavy will be able to wax lyrical about him once he's seen him in the flesh tomorrow.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y224/gaarew/Mantic/Pic106.jpg

Just ignore the unfinished stuff in the background. I'm confident there is a beer with my name on it around here somewhere...

logan054
07-10-2010, 19:55
before I comment how honest feedback do you want?

gaarew
07-10-2010, 20:07
Go for it.

I'm perfectly aware of the inadequacies of my painting.

logan054
07-10-2010, 22:27
Ok, to me at least it looks like you could do a lot more with the highlights, while I can understand some of it is the lighting and all the flesh really stands out. It looks to me like you have just done a base color and painted all the raised areas, the rip area doesn't look right.

gaarew
08-10-2010, 01:32
It was painted a base colour, washed, and then very quick highlights done with the original base colour. As the entire army has been done with base colour, wash, varnish, even that is, in my opinion, enough to make him stand out a bit. At the end of the day, it is a speed painted army, I went all out on my King, and he is taking far too long.

Anyway, another 40 down.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y224/gaarew/Mantic/Pic107.jpg

Well, 39 in that picture, one of the Musicians doesn't have a shield.

Still to do - 4 Heroes, 5 Cannons, 10 Crew...

logan054
08-10-2010, 03:04
I think thats perfectly fine when your painting large amounts of troops, I would however spend a little extra time on the characters and make them center pieces, each to his own I guess

Dino
08-10-2010, 03:50
Looking really nice even though it's a blury pic. Can't wait to see the next bunch of stuff. Good luck.

gaarew
08-10-2010, 10:29
@ Logan - yeah, pretty much. I do have a 2nd set of Heroes that I plan to spend time on, but, I was pressed for time with these.

@ Dino - For once I'll attribute the shoddy photography to me wanting to show the army in all its glory at the Open Day, before putting pics up on the net. Hmmm, maybe I can coerce someone with some semblance of camera-fu to do me a favour whilst I'm there.

gaarew
10-10-2010, 16:21
OK -

Full army shot

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y224/gaarew/Mantic/Mantic%20Open%20Day%202010/Pic024.jpg

On the battlefield

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y224/gaarew/Mantic/Mantic%20Open%20Day%202010/Pic040.jpg

Skeleton Horde meet Dwarf King

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y224/gaarew/Mantic/Mantic%20Open%20Day%202010/Pic056.jpg

Victory

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y224/gaarew/Mantic/Mantic%20Open%20Day%202010/Pic061-1.jpg

Dino
10-10-2010, 16:29
Nice. Good job on the win.

lord marcus
10-10-2010, 17:01
Nice dwarves, nice win, and nice tatoo's.

skavenSte
10-10-2010, 18:43
Just passing through for a nosey.
Wow, some really great stuff in here. Mantic games have really just come to my attention and looking at your minis gets me that little bit more interested.
I like your zombies too, and would like to know how you achieve the still-a-bit-wet look with the blood. Is it just gloss varnished?

gaarew
23-12-2010, 22:08
I like your zombies too, and would like to know how you achieve the still-a-bit-wet look with the blood. Is it just gloss varnished?

No, it is Tamiya Clear Red (TCR) and brown ink and water, in varying amounts. PVA glue added for chunkiness.

Here is a little multi-base I knocked out as a test, wanted to see how I could get various decaying looking skin tones.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y224/gaarew/Mantic/Pic134.jpg

and a festive version.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y224/gaarew/Pic134xmas.jpg

And, just to test Mrs G's camera, I managed to do this, a fair improvement on the previous picture if I do say so myself.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y224/gaarew/Mantic/berserkerlord.jpg

Been a bit quiet on the painting front, what with work and all that, but I have big plans for the New Year. Oh yes. ;)

Darsc Zacal
24-12-2010, 01:31
Very nicely done on the photos. I like your work on the dual axe wielding dwarf. I do believe Mr. Da Eavy will be pleased.

strewart
24-12-2010, 10:19
I've seen and commented on the zombies elsewhere, the dual axe Dwarf I'm not sure I've seen though, looks very good indeed! I like the blood on his base as well.

LOTRCROWN
28-12-2010, 19:25
hi john its been a long time bud :)

and the guy you beat has a double lookalike alessio cavatore ?

gaarew
29-12-2010, 06:34
and the guy you beat has a double lookalike alessio cavatore ?

Hey Matty, long time eh?

I expect that guy makes more money being Alessio Cavatore than he would impersonating him... ;)

orlanth1000
30-01-2011, 09:42
Update you thread please J.

Have we seen the compulsorily shot your work space yet?

gaarew
30-01-2011, 10:08
Update you thread please J.

Have we seen the compulsorily shot your work space yet?

Errrr... I would had I painted any Dwarfs recently, although, you could click my siggy link to the 365 thread. Should be plenty there to tide you over. ;)

Nope, no workspace picture yet, I should get around to one, but my desk looks rather sparse as my custom paintstation is currently in the loft.

Saul Tarvitz
08-02-2011, 01:36
Hopefully this won't count as threadomancy as it contains a pertinent question. How did you find painting over the Army Painter's Platemail spray with non-metallic paints? I've tried painting over metallic primers in the past with less that favourable results.

Also did you have to do anything special with the spray? I had their flesh spray and found that it went really weird, though that may have been because it was an early batch/Aberdeen hates my hobby.

gaarew
08-02-2011, 12:39
Hopefully this won't count as threadomancy as it contains a pertinent question. How did you find painting over the Army Painter's Platemail spray with non-metallic paints? I've tried painting over metallic primers in the past with less that favourable results.

Also did you have to do anything special with the spray? I had their flesh spray and found that it went really weird, though that may have been because it was an early batch/Aberdeen hates my hobby.

Well, I washed all the Dwarfs with Badab Black over the Platemail spray, so I didn't notice any issues. The was seemed to work as normal, even watered down, so I don't imagine it is any different to standard primer. It does have a nice silky finish though.

The flesh spray went a bit wonky though, see the images of the Ghouls, came out really rough and dusty. May have been due to priming in the cold though.

Saul Tarvitz
08-02-2011, 16:25
Good to know and something I'll bear in mind. I'm planning on painting my Empire army using the Army Painter, yellow spray for the most part but if I can speed up the armour painting then all the better.

Spray priming well up here is next to impossible outdoors, never quite gets warms enough and then when it does its too ******* humid.