PDA

View Full Version : samurai ogre army

Negafex
03-03-2006, 19:16
i am still in the brainstorming stages and its coming along pretty smoothley but i could use all the help i can get.

in the army there is
1 lord on rhinox(skinned ghark ironskin)
7 rhinox riders
12 bulls
6 ironguts
8 leadbelchers
2 butchers

the army is going to have armor similar to that worn by the fighters in the movie "the last samurai" and will have a more authentic look.
im currently broke so it may be awhile before i get any pics up(or get any green stuff for that matter) but any help would be appreciated.

skiff
03-03-2006, 19:27
Sounds realy cool and I think, it will be hard to do, but no impossible.
you should look for Samurai typical haircuts and/ or beards (you know, ogres and beards...) AFAIK, samurais are "clean shaven" so this could be a problem :eyebrows:

this guy you MUST have (http://store.us.games-workshop.com/storefront/store.us?do=List_Models&code=304264&orignav=304219&ParentID=254699&GameNav=13) :D

I am not sure about Rhinox Riders, it's not typical for samurais to ride on Horses (or Rhinoxes :p )

MIGHTYPanhead
03-03-2006, 19:41
I am not sure about Rhinox Riders, it's not typical for samurais to ride on Horses (or Rhinoxes :p )

actually, samurai do indeed have cavalry, last samurai include some very cool mounted samurai raids, very cool

suggestions? plasticard would be a cheap and easy way to do the armour, and helmets. you could use GS to make half mask-sorta things so you don't need to worry about facial hair and mouths.

still, looking foreward to more stuff! a good idea indeed

vladboukarin
03-03-2006, 21:07
try to find the last french WD (143)
http://fr.games-workshop.com/white_dwarf/index.asp
a guy named nicolas fournel is building a samourai themed ogre army for the “le choix des armes” article

tzeentchgiant
03-03-2006, 21:09
Well, first of all, look into the goblin boxed set square shields, they look like the padded armour that samurai are typical shown in.

I am not sure about Rhinox Riders, it's not typical for samurais to ride on Horses (or Rhinoxes :p )Actually, samurai are famed for their horsemanship disciplin, they train to fire from horseback - so I don't see rhinoxen as out of context.

you should look for Samurai typical haircuts and/ or beards (you know, ogres and beards...) AFAIK, samurais are "clean shaven" so this could be a problem :eyebrows: In the majority of publications they are shown with facial hair similar to the ogres, (although I believe ogre's facial hair is based on the Mongols), and if the last samurai is what you are aiming for, I'd say leave the long streaky beards on, and trim the others so they don't go much wider than the mouth. Paint them black, as it's typical asian genetics.

Ninjas could be ironguts, and a very old wise "tortoise" looking general would be cool. Have a watch of croutching tiger hidden dragon, some quite cool stuff in that - even if not strictly samurai.

Best of luck.

TG

Negafex
04-03-2006, 04:25
good ideas, i think i will leave the facial hair on the bulls and leadbelchers however the ironguts, cavalry, and characters will have face masks like in the picture i found. a previous golden demon winner, i will be basing a large amount of the ogres after this. also i will be looking into another aspect of the butchers fluff, the role of firemaster for the tribe. i will incorperate flame into their models in some interesting ways. i may be able to upload some of my concept art tomarrow

Adlan
05-03-2006, 19:41
At my Local GW (norwich) there is a marvelous samurai army, with massive slave giant, every ogre with a katana and Leadbelchers with Samurai Bows.

this amry won the grand torunament best army.

cspo
05-03-2006, 21:45
watch Ran or Kagemusha by Kurosawa. Both are epic samurai films that feature entire armies bathing in blood. excellent films, too.

another good one would be Seven Samurai, also by Kurosawa. Though you won't see many full O-Yoroi ("great armor") wearing warriors, there's a few shots of the bandit captains that really give the feel of barbaric ogre tribes. The seven samurai themselves could be a killer band of maneaters.

Samurai and ronin where usually a pretty stoic bunch. Though sometimes army generals would wear full-on makeup into battle and burn sticks of incense from their helmets.

Another good place to look for inspiration could be the "samurai shodown/spirits" series of games from SNK.

BTW the last samurai is pretty lame as samurai movies go. If you want to see samurai movies, you have to watch japanese cinema. The actual story of "the last samurai" is very nicely portraied (sp?) in Miike Takashi's "Kumamoto Monogatari", the third story called " A woman's place in war" something like that.

Sorry bout that, I'm a bit of a nippon no eiga buff.

Negafex
08-03-2006, 15:07
i have come up with two color schemes now and im not sure if i should use only one or both. the first is red with gold, bleached bone, and brown. the other is medium blue with light blue, green, and red details. please help me choose